It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #1

beachbound3 HB User
Prednisone and Bone Density testing

Hi,

I wanted some feedback if those of you who are on prednisone have been advised to have a Bone Density Test and in addition to calcium supplements use a prescription med for bone loss (i.e. fossamax or actonel) I am only 39 but I recently saw a doctor at a large medical center for a second opinion and he said that they routinely do that because prednisone can cause bone loss that leads to osteoporosis. My Rheumy locally never mentioned it and when I called to ask his nurse she said I was too young to worry about that?? Just interested in some input and what others have been advised.

thanks,
Beachbound

Old 06-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Prednisone and Bone Density testing

Beachbound,

I was required by my GP to have bone density testing just based on the size of my wrist & the fact that I'd had IBS-like symptoms for years. And that was before lupus was even suspected, and without my having ever taken steroids

My friends & I are all striding confidently ( ) into our 50's. Others among us were also sent for testing earlier, e.g., the smaller-boned ones & the ones who've never taken HRT & the ones who have any known inflammatory conditions.

Your rheumie might well have a clearer answer than the nurse?

Take care, from Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #3

mere HB User
Re: Prednisone and Bone Density testing

beachbound3:

I am menopausal (TAH at age 30) and I am now 41. I stopped taking estrogen two years ago because of migraine illness and a family history of breast cancer.

I take Prednisone 10 mg daily. I also take calcium 2.4 g, Vit. D. 800 mg and Magnesium 800 mg daily. This was prescribed by my Rheum. along with the Pred.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment, and he mentioned that he would do some sort of urine test this time to determine if there are any signs of osteoporosis caused by the Pred. He mentioned the Fosomax or actonel if the test indicates bone loss. I don't really understand what sort of test he is referring to.

I had a bone density scan one year ago and everything was fine. I do worry about it though as it runs in my family.

Mere --

Closed Thread