It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
Inactive

rhyanenrose HB User
Swollen lymph nodes

Does anyone ever get swollen lymph nodes in the armpit area when in a flare? Is it common for this to happen with lupus? Does it happen with other autoimmune diseases?

I posted a few times here and haven't been diagnosed. But since last night, I've been having pain from what I believe to be a swollen lymph node. I've had this in the past on and off when I was in high school. I've also been feeling pretty worn out, lots of muscle aches and pains, and irritable. Could just be this horrible hot weather.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
Re: Swollen lymph nodes

From what I understand, it is common for lymph nodes to enlarge or swell during lupus flare. I don't even know for sure if I have lupus or not but I believe I do and I have had this off and on for several months. During the winter time before I put any of my other symptoms together, the lymph nodes in my armpits would get really sore and swollen and I'd think, oh I must be coming down with something.....but I never did get sick like I thought I would. I recently went off a high dose of Prednisone and along with a serious bout of mouth/nose/vaginal sores I also had lymph swelling however I think I may have a cold so it could be due to that. Anyway, hope that helps and hope you get the help you need in finding a diagnosis!
Have a happy day!
Shawnee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Inactive

rhyanenrose HB User

Shawnee,

You sound like me. My lymph nodes having been swelling off and on for years, and I would just think I was getting a virus or something, but the virus never quite hit, and I'd end up having bad fatigue and some muscle and joint aches and pains. Other times I'll get parasthesias in a hand or leg that will last for a month or so, then fade away. I also tend to get irritable...and some minor personality changes when this happens. I also have ezcema on my hand that comes and goes, and it flares up when I start feeling like this. It's really strange.

This morning my nodes in my neck are a bit swollen, but not painful. I can feel them when I move my neck around. I also started getting some wrist and hand pain last night which is gone now. Do you tend to get joint pains that come and go during a flare, or are they a constant? Mine come and go and don't last long, and will even migrate to other joints. It's so confusing. My ANA was positive last month and I've had a history of low positive sed rate, borderline low lymphocytes and borderline high albumin. My ds-DNA was borderline as well. I'm just all borderline! LOL! It makes it more confusing for the docs when they look at my labwork and nothing really stands out, but it's not all perfectly 'normal' either. I'm tired of being in limboland and wish I could just get this all figured out and get on with life. ARrrgggghhhh!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Rhyanen,

So you're a fence sitter? Well nice to meet you anyway. I was only dxed in mid June and my test shows early stage. I had a flare that lasted over 7 months though, and I have to say if that was early stage I really hope this thing doesn't progress with me quickly. I had extreme pain in joints, especially lower extremities, pericarditis, and pluerisy. It was no fun at all.

To address the lymph nodes, these are a primary part of you immune system. Since these things are caused from a hyperactive immune system, it seems to me that the lymph nodes would certainly be involved. If you read the literature on the subject, the lymph system is involved with all of these autoimmune things.

I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and when my thyroxine isn't right my lympth nodes can swell too. I do wonder why almost 94% of people affected by autoimmune diseases are women.

Take good care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.
May God Bless You
Bonnie

Old 07-30-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Greetings ryanenrose (hope I got that right, sorry if I didn't)---
I just want to say I feel your pain!!!!!! and definetely share your frustration. I've been in denial I believe a good two years. I was just a new mom and then I was just pregnant and then it was that I work nights but finally things just got worse and worse and worse no matter what I did to get better. And of course that little voice in the back of my head that said, hey wake up something is wrong here just wouldn't go away. Finally, it's all kind of coming together. My GP diagnosed me with lupus but won't treat me--when I went back and begged for help though he prescribed Prednisone 40 mg then 80 mg when my chest pain and shortness of breath weren't improving. I got an appt w/ a rheumatologist who will treat me until he retires in Sept. since I've been in icky flare land for three months and he told me to get off the prednisone, go home get sicker and come back (I started crying in his office). So that's what I'm doing now, getting sicker. I started out having joint pain and muscle aches when I had my period and when I had IBS flare ups. Now I have daily joint, muscle pain, etc... I hurt all the time and have to take darvocet almost nightly in order to sleep. I even started looking into other diseases like Valley Fever and other autoimmunes and while I have a lot of those symptoms, lupus still fits all my symptoms better than the others. I'm still open to the possibility of it not being lupus however. My ANA was positive, sed rate low (wasn't in flare when that blood was drawn however) and when I had all the other labs done I had been on 80 mg of Prednisone for two weeks so it's hard to say what is accurate, probably nothing. My lymphocytes were low though and white blood count high. But dsdna and all the other "specific to lupus" stuff just wasn't there so I'll go back again when I'm yucky sick sick sick with a rash and joint swelling again and we'll start over I guess. In the meantime, I'm going to be buying some life insurance because right now I honestly don't know what I have so I will feel okay about applying for insurance as we have none (and two little boys). I'm sorry if I'm all over the place, feeling a bit scatterbrained tonight. I wish you the very best and hope that your limboland finds a landing place soon. I'll be thinking of you until then as you remind me of me.
big hugs and prayers too
Shawnee

Closed Thread