It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #1

marmstrong HB User
ER visit, rectal bleeding again!

Last night I took a trip to the emergency room. I had started my rectal bleeding again from last week Friday. I don't have constipation so I didn't have to strain, but when I had my bowel movement I felt a pain in my anus while my movement was coming out and there was a lot of blood. It didn't happen on Saturday or Sunday, but it started again on Monday.

When I woke up and had my first movement ( with ease) again there was bleeding, a lot. I had a total of three bowel movements yesterday and each time it was the same thing. I passed a lot of blood with tiny clots as well.

I called my cousin (she also has Lupus) and asked her about it because she told me she experienced the same thing. She got alarmed and told me to go to the ER because when it happened to her she was admitted because she has lost almost a pint of blood. She had to be given blood and a colonoscopy was done on her. She said if you wait to see the doctor on Wednesday ( we have the same doctor, extremely nice woman) Doctor Morgan is going to be furious with you for waiting so long, so go now. So I did.

I wen to the ER and I wish I had waited until tomorrow to see my doctor. First I got the at 8:40 and was not called until 10:30 because everyone that came after me was called before me. When I finally got in to see the doctor, she was a rough and rude woman. She said she had to check me, pushed her finger up my bum, said oh, it's just and internal hemorrhoid, just take this presciption and you'll be fine.

I think i'll leave that determination to my doctor and GI because this woman was totally unprofesional and I can't trust her word. My new doctors are wonderful, but like my cousin me, the ER doctors are the worst. Thanks for listening (reading).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User
Re: ER visit, rectal bleeding again!

Poor marm!!
You did the right thing by going to the ER, it's just unfortunate that sometimes ER doctors and staff make you sorry you ever went isn't it! I think you're absolutely right to not trust her word and leave the determination to the doctors who know you and your case the best. So sorry for the bleeding, how scary! Hang in there okay! Let us know what they say!
Love,
Shawnee

Old 11-17-2004, 06:11 AM   #3

marmstrong HB User

Thank you Shawnee,

I'm going to my appointment today so i'll see what my doctor says. I'll let you know what happens.

Michele

Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Michele.

I was told the odds of this sort of thing are higher in people with chronic GI problems.

Nasty stuff but has to be dealt with. I hope your appt. today goes better. Hang in there. Sympathetically, Vee

(P.S. Been there & done that, too. OUCH! I had only one episode ten years ago, with outpatient procedure required. I've had no new problems since.)

Old 11-18-2004, 04:27 AM   #5

marmstrong HB User

I followed up with my doctor yesterday and she says that I need to contact the GI right away so that he can schedule a colonoscopy. Just the thought of doing this gives me the willies. But, I know it has to be done and will go through with it.

To my surprise my doctor recommended that I do a gastric bypass. Not only do I have a lot of weight, she also thinks that the weight contributes alot to the pain. I've already been to a seminar held by a doctor who performs the procedure ( I went with my cousin who's habing it done) so I know what risk are involved, how the procedure is done and what the end result will be. She also said that I should stop taking Naprosyn and she gave me Ultram along with tylenol, says the Nap is bad for my Gastritis.

This is a new Gp that i'm seeing, but before I saw her I saw another doctor who works with her, so she didn't know my history and I had to run it down for her. When I told her that i'd been diagnosed with having mild Lupus, she looked at me and protested. She said I didn't look at all like a lupus person, says she can tell a lupus person a mil away and I looked very healthy especially skin and hair.

When I told her my symptoms and then showed her my previous blood work from my old doctors she said "OH, o.k., yes I see why, you have bloods positive for a specific lupus diagnosis" (ANA, Anti Dna, Anti cardiolipin). She was still shocked to say the least and said that "she is so surprised that Lupus is being so kind to me and that I am very lucky."

She had me confused for a moment. Although she is a wonderful doctor and I wouldn't changer her for the world right now, I thought that it was a little assuming to say I didn't have Lupus without seeing my blood work or hearing my symptoms and bassing it on my appearance alone. It reminds me of what alot of us complain about in our post hear. People are always saying 'well you don't look sick" as if your supposed to wear and illness on your face for the world to see and believe. Any way i've yamered on enough, Stay well everyone.

Michele

Old 11-18-2004, 06:31 AM   #6
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

Michele,
My best friend just had the gastric bypass surgery yesterday. She is a good 100 + lbs. overweight. Since you had a positive ACA, have you been tested for antiphospholipid syndrome? Just a thought. Anyway, there are varying degrees of lupus. I don't wear my illness on my face either, except when I'm flaring or wearing a 'lupus walk' tee shirt. My anti-DNA hits 165 when I'm flaring, so it's kinda hard to hide it at that point. Don't sweat the colonoscopy, it's not as bad as you think. keep us posted.

Shari

Old 11-20-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I don't wear my lupus on my face either. It appears I have had it for a long time as well and except for some strange occurrances it has been kind to me as well. Now the joint and muscle thing is beginning to get worse and that is how it has finally been dxed.

I know I wouldn't want the colonoscopy either. Sampy says it's not all that bad and I take her word for it buttttt. I hope they find nothing much when they do it and that you get better quickly.

Will be thinking and praying for you
May God Bless and Keep you
Patience 50

Old 11-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Michele,

No one I know wants a colonoscopy! I was wide awake for my last one (a long & awful story---plus had a migraine, too).

But I think most people today are knocked out & don't even remember much (if any) of it.

Honestly, the worrying about it & the prep are worse than the actual procedure. It's over quickly. And, figure, it's a few minutes of your life...

Just hang in there & think of all of us who've had the procedure---and know you can do it, too. We got by & you will, too, honest! I hope all goes well. All my best, Vee

Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #9

marmstrong HB User

Thanks ladies for your words of encouragement. I know the colonscopy has to be done because Lord knows what's going on down there. I will definitely do it and get it over with. I also have to tell my doctor that I want to be asleep this time. With the endoscopy I was wide awake, this time I don't want know what's going on. Thanks again. God bles all of you!

Old 11-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
(female)

darkwater HB User

Hi, there. Yes, you are doing the right thing to go ahead with the colonoscopy. I think people have a mental block where colonoscopy is concerned, the idea of it just sets off all kinds of alarms that are in reality, unjustified. I had one back in February and THERE IS NOTHING TO IT. Period. You know nothing, you feel nothing, during or afterward, or at least that was my experience. Like the others said, the only bad part of it is getting your colon cleaned out with laxatives beforehand, which is kind of like having a bout of diarrhea for a day before you have the procedure. That and how hungry you will be after only being able to drink clear fluids for most of a day. The nurses offered me crackers and juice immediately after I woke up, I gobbled them down, proceeded to throw them up promptly, and immediately asked for more, lol. Best food I ever threw up, lol. (Some people have some residual nausea after general anesthesia.) There is some risk as there is with all invasive procedures, but there is no other procedure that will give as clear and reliable a picture of what is going on in your colon. The only other thing I can think of is that after being totally cleaned out and filled with air for viewing, your colon will take a few days to come back to life. It may take several days of eating before you have a bowel movement. As it starts itself back up and forces out that air, you could have some cramping. I must admit that I had some rather severe cramping myself. I called the nurse to ask if this was normal, and she assured me it was.

Best of luck with your procedure. God bless.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

So sorry to hear about the colonoscopy! My best of luck to you in your procedure. I had one in May and it was a blessing in disguise. I had a polyp removed that would have been cancerous had I waited to have my first colonoscopy after age 50 rather than at age 25. It really will give you some answers hopefully too, at least rule some things out! And yes, what everyone says was my experience with the colonoscopy too: the prep was the worst part. I still can't drink watermelon gatorade as that was the liquid I tried mixing my phospho soda in, now I just can't face the thought of it. I actually remember my procedure and did feel pain but did not care about the pain, just one happy drugged up state you know? It will be okay! My best of luck to you!
Love,
Shawnee

Closed Thread