It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #1

marmstrong HB User
Pleurisy, pneumonia or what?, pain when breathing in

I've been having this problem since Saturday. I would feel pain deep in my chest whenever I take a deep breath. It's been happening on and off since then, not constant, but getting consistently worse. I'm not sure what this is, but will definitely mention it to the doctor when I see her Thursday morning. This sound familiar to anyone?

----------
Michele

Diagnosed with: SLE, Fibromyalgia, Raynauds and Erosive Gastritis.

Last edited by marmstrong; 12-07-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Re: Pleurisy, pneumonia or what?, pain when breathing in

Hi marmstrong,

It does sound familiar but it can be any of the problems you mentioned. A Dr. must tell you the difference. May even require x-rays to get it right. Could even be muscle spasms. If it gets too bad you may want to consider calling Dr. sooner than Thursday. Hope you feel better soon.

May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 01:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Hi marm--
I would call this pleurisy but I"m no doctor and I agree with Patience that if it's worsening you may want to give your doctor a jingle! HOpe you get doing better soon!
Love,
Shawnee

Old 12-08-2004, 05:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Michele,

Several people in our bldg., just this year alone, have beened Dx'ed with "walking pneumonia". It can languish for weeks or months before finally knocking a person low enough to push him to call the dr.

Also, and my spelling may not be correct, havene't we had people discussing "costochondroitis" on the board here? I''m checking that spelling & will add a P.S. if it's too far off to find using a browser!

I hope you do touch base with your dr., if you haven't already. No sense in risking your overall status---esp. in a winter that's looking B-A-D around here, flu-wise.

Catch you later. Let us know how you are doing. Be as prudent as you can, OK? Vee

Old 12-08-2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Michele,

It's correctly spelled "costochondritis". It is chest wall inflammation of rib or cartilage, often in the 4th to 6th rib area. The Dx appears to be one of exclusion, after ruling out pericarditis, pneumonia, pleurodynia, etc.

Good luck! Vee

Old 12-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #6

mere HB User

Sometimes when I am heading into a flare-up it presents as costochondritis. I guess it is chronic in my case as I always have some degree of discomfort and other weird sensations on my ribcage. It always hurts in the morning when I first get up and take a deep breath.

But, it can get to the point of excruciating with a flare-up and make breathing extremely difficult. There are loads of nerves in that area of the body. Always, there is extreme pain on touching or laying on the affected area. I think that is halmark of costochondritis.

Please get an x-ray to be certain - pleurisy can mimic the symptoms. If it is costochondritis, the best way to treat it is with warm compresses, antiinflammatories and sometimes a narcotic is warranted.

Hope you are okay.

Mere --

P.S. I never had any pain or coughing when I had walking pneumonia but maybe that is just me.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Lightbulb Re: Pleurisy, pneumonia or what?, pain when breathing in

Hi,

Yes, I agree with Veej, it does definitely sound like costochondritis to me. The sypmtoms you describe are so much like the ones I suffered with and still suffer from periodically. I had steroid injections into my ribs but I think that is a bit of a drastic treatment which was used for me because all else failed.

If you go in to your doctor with this in mind, it will save a lot of tests and so on and also give him something definite to work on straight away.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

goldenwings

Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #8

marmstrong HB User

Thanks everyone for your advice and support.
I did go to the doctor today and I explained to her what's been going on with my chest pain. I explained about the pain when breathing in and also that I noticed that it acts up when I go out into the cold ( forgot to tell you guys about that part). She said it could be bronchial asthma, but to make sure it's not pleurisy or pleural effusion, i'm going for a chest x-ray and a pulmonary function test. So, it's a foot in the right direction. Will let you know how the test turn out. Thanks again for the help and advice

Old 01-10-2005, 02:20 AM   #9
(female)

broken_halo HB User

Does it feel better when you lean forward? If so, it is probably pleurisy.... Unless it is directly behind the sternum (or just slightly to the left of the sternum). If it is there, then it could be a similar infection of the membrane around your heart. Both of these problems are prevelant in SLE patients.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
(female)

MC128 HB User

Michele:
I didn't see your post before I posted about pretty much the same thing. Unfortunatly I've been dealing with it for about six months now with a little relief from the Imuran but not enough too make me totally pain free. The Rheumy feels that it's probably pleursiy but he's not totally sure but I've had enough xrays I should begin glowing soon without anything else showing up. So I hope that you find relief soon from whatever it is that's causing the pain.

Tina

Closed Thread