It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User
cold sores (herpes simplex)

I'm curious as to how many of you have/had these cold sores on your lips. I've had these so often throughout the years. Trying to find a common link or a precursor to lupus. This can be the first indicator of a compromised immune system. If you've had bubbly sores on your lips that were itchy/painful and lasted for around 10 days, I'd love to know. They can appear from illness or stress. When I went into labor with my firstborn, I had an outbreak on my lip. My son has inherited this virus as he gets these sores too. It lays dormant in your system, which explains why my other two kids didn't get it - I didn't have an outbreak during those pregnancies. Does anyone else get these? Just curious.

Shari

Old 01-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #2

Suecat3 HB User
Re: cold sores (herpes simplex)

I used to get a lot of cold sores; I still get one or two on my tongue from time to time, but they don't cover my lips like they used to. The ones on my lips were brought on by being out in the sun and from stress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #3

ctjedda HB User

I don't get cold sores per se; however I have had a major problem during the past few months with lips that are swollen and painful, and I get a white line that almost looks like a sunburn white blistered line along the bottom edge of my lower lip. Has anyone else had this or have any idea what it could be? I also get a tingling feeling in my lips, which people have described as a precursor to a cold sore, but I've never had a lesion. At first I thought it was just chapped lips, but even applying straight Vaseline only brings temporary relief. I am applying lip balm a zillion tiimes a day, but it only helps for a brief period. Any ideas/suggestions??

Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

There is a new product out but I'm not sure if I can post the name. It's a very popular antibiotic cream - but now they make it specifically for lips. I used to get the burning and cracking too, but it's more from licking your lips, especially in the cold weather. Now they're finding that vaseline alone to moisturize, is not addressing the real problem. Ask your pharmacist (it's over-the-counter), maybe he can direct you to that product. Give it a try. Let me know how you make out.

Shari

Old 01-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Hi Shari--
I get these and have for most of my life but not very frequently. My husband does not get them at all and has never had one. I got one after too much kissing after a long period of "drought" when we first met and told him he couldn't kiss me because I didn't want him to get it too. He didn't care and never got it. I've heard once the virus is in your body you always have it but it seems that some people are resistant to it even when exposed and I wonder why. Hope you're doing okay!!
Love,
Shawnee

Old 01-15-2005, 04:26 AM   #6
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

Shawnee,
Good to hear from you! How have you been? I've heard the same thing - that once you have the virus, it always remains with you. However, I've always been careful NOT to kiss when I have them. My husband has never gotten these - ever. So it must only be transmittable when it's active. That is what I'm guessing. But I could be wrong.

Shari

Old 01-15-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

mommybench HB User

hey guys, my daughter gets these also. she is 4 years old. she could have gotten them from any where, because we dont have them. her dr have her bactoban. it is a perscribed antibiotic. usually it turns into empintigo (spelling?). just cusrious, i am new to the lupus thing, but is it the ulcers that you can get in your mouth, nose and throat? i get those. good luck a nd I will pray for you.
mommybench

Old 01-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #8

ctjedda HB User

Thanks for the suggestion, Shari, I will definitely be hitting the drugstore tonight to look for this product, as I can't take much more of this, it is so aggravating. Thanks again! Jo-el

Old 01-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Inactive

Sampy123 HB User

Jo-el,
Let me know if you find it and if it helps.

Shari

Old 01-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #10

Dads1stGirl HB User

I have always been prone to cold sores. Before getting any real alarming symptoms of whatever is going on with me I got one cold sore after the next, sometimes two or more at the same time. I was painful and unusal. That was over two years ago and I could count on one had the ones I have had since.

Closed Thread