It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

SheebaMaretti HB User
Anyone takin plaquenil and partying?

Hi, am suppose to start taking plaquenil but dont know how that will mix with drinking or sparkin one, anyone have any input?

Old 02-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #2

kimmy13 HB User
Re: Anyone takin plaquenil and partying?

well i dont know if you want to hear this but, since i started plaquenil last year i have not had a drink. I miss it but, i was told they dont mix well. (either)Even drinking socially has now become water.
cheers,?!!?
kimmy13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Sheeba,

Like Kimmy, I do not drink at all since starting Plaquenil, in accordance with dr. instructions and the drug printout. This was easier for me to do than for some youngsters to do, perhaps, due to my advanced age

I found giving up time in the sun was harder, not that I actually sunbathed (which I always found too still and thus too boring). But there again, I wanted to give myself the best chance of a more normal life, after so many years of up's and down's.

Best wishes,
Vee

Old 02-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

SheebaMaretti HB User

Thanks Vee I understand bout givin yourself the best possible chance and some people have given me a really hard time about hesitating, just my dilemma is.......I was a coach, athlete, artist and beach bum who feels ill without sun everyday and that has all changed. Until now I said at least I can drink a beer while I watch the game or spark one on the beach after dark with plaquenil I see that as an end to anything that was normal and WOW thats a little overwhelming in a years time. If you know of any other meds that work on the face rash i'd love to know something a lil more "user" friendly

Old 02-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Sheeba,

I think the reason Plaquenil is the drug of choice for non-organ threatening lupus is that it has fewer side effects that the older quinine-family drugs. That's not the answer you probably wanted on THAT subject, either.

Why not just ask your dr. if the ban on alcohol is total, or if the occasional beer is something that would not be a major problem? I never asked at all, because post-40, I started to metabolize alcohol very poorly indeed & also to get killer hangovers.

So I'd just ask about an occasional drink, in your shoes. Wishing you the best, Vee P.S. Hang in there!

Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Hi...I am on it and did not get any warning. About once a month, I will have about 2-3 beers and it's been fine.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, lovemy3guys and Sheeba,

I know others on Plaquenil who have an occasional drink.

I just looked up Plaquenil on various drug websites. Some mention alcohol, while some do not. Go figure! Another reason just to ask, if you really want to know.

Hope all is well (or as much as is possible) with you both, Vee [edited to add mention of drug searches]

Last edited by VeeJ; 02-19-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
(female)

jerseygirl65 HB User

hi there, my input, i drank the whole time until they put me on methotrexate..60 days sober free of coors light and i sure miss it cryinggggggggggggggg

Closed Thread