It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
(female)

brookiebear21 HB User
Question Butterfly Rash

How long typically does the butterfly rash stay once it appears?

Old 03-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

bl0ndekel HB User
Re: Butterfly Rash

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I have had a butterfly rash for the past two months and I am wondering when and if it will go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

brookiebear21 HB User

Yes my son has had his for awhile and it won't go away. It starts to fade and then we go outside and it gets really bad again. I have pic's if anyone want to look at them and tell me what they think.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya All,

I am not medically qualified, the information I give here is from living and learning as a lupus patient for over 30 years.

Just a little bit of information for you. Hope it helps.

There are many different skin problems in lupus, which vary from person to person. The 'classical' skin problem in lupus is the butterfly rash. This is a red rash, sometimes no more than a mild blush, that occurs across the bridge of the nose and on the cheeks resulting in a distinctive butterfly-like appearance. This type of rash tends to occur in the systemic form of the disease where other organs in the body are also involved. It is often present at the beginning of the disease, helping doctors make the diagnosis. Butterfly rash tends to come and go depending on how active the underlying lupus is but does not leave scars as it heals. If the rash is present going out into the sun will make it erupt more. Please be very careful, cover up with the highest factor sun screen as you can, always wear a hat (preferably one with a neck cover at the back -- geeky I know but think of the sights you see out there he he -- and wear long sleeved cotton shirts or blouses and so on. You body needs to be covered but also wear materials that allow your skin to breath. Oh, just a thought. Always cover your feet in sun screen, I have forgotton a couple of times - wow, never again. A bit of a trial to start with I know, but worth it I can assure you.

Be well.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 03-04-2005 at 04:45 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

I add my emphasis about the sun - it will make all lupus symptoms worse. My rheumy told me it's safe to got outside when your shadow is longer than you are tall. Avoid the sun unless protected as goldenwings described.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 03-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Mine has been there for almost 20 years...I was misdiagnosed with rosacea for many years. Plaquenil is helping my face alot, it's still pink, but it feels much smoother and doesn't look as "angry".

Closed Thread