It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Donte HB User
Hand MRI

Has anyone gotten an MRI of their hands? My results revealed erosion. Is this something that people experience with lupus? Or could it be something else?

Old 03-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #2
(male)

whatsonfire HB User
Re: Hand MRI

I had an X-Ray done of my hand, but nothing showed on mine. I have had severe pain in mine that comes and goes. My pain comes from the CENTER of my palm and the doctors have found no reason why. I am assuming mine is a nerve problem. I doubt my doc will ever do an MRI on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I had one recently and it showed small MCP effusions of the thimb and fifth finger...
Nothing the dr waas concerned about.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB UserAngelicBrat HB User

Hi there,

Up here in Canada they don't often do MRI's of the hands. This is because there are HUGE waiting lists to get everything else MRI'ed (heads, spines etc). The erosion that you have can be caused by Rheumatoid Arthritis. What erosion means is that the joints are breaking down when they shouldn't be. It does occur very seldomly in Lupus too. What are your other symptoms? Have they tested you for Rheumatoid Arthritis? Have you had any positive blood work for Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis? Sorry for all the questions, but I hope I can help get to the bottom of this! Take care!

~Angelic

Old 03-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

Donte HB User

I was diagnosed with lupus in 2003. I have consistently had a negative RF. I went to the doctor again yesterday and he said that this new hand MRI works so well and is so sensitive in picking up evidence of erosions that they are finding it more and more in people with lupus. It was thought to seldomly occur in lupus because these erosions didn't show up on xrays. Anyway, he added Arava to my treatment plan. I have been taking Plaquenil for 2 years and it worked well on its own for a while, but recently the pain has been more intense. So, hopefully, this medicine will help make me feel more myself again.

Closed Thread