It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

Donte HB User
Methotrexate Making Me Sooo Tired!

Okay - does anyone have experience with Methotrexate side effects? My very first dose was this past Monday. Although I felt okay that night and the next day, the following day and today I've had a little nausea and I am just so sleepy. Does anyone know if it will eventually help me to be less tired from the lupus? If it's going to make me feel like this every week, I don't see how it helps to take it...

Thanks - D

Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Methotrexate Making Me Sooo Tired!

I took MTX for several months and I felt great. When I felt tired was when I had a reaction and had to stop taking it. Perhaps you might want to check it out.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
(female)

Donte HB User

Glojer- did you feel great at the very beginning? Or did you have to work up to it? I'm just thinking that I need to give it time to get in my system or something. I don't know if I'm still fatigued from the lupus itself or the medicine.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #4

mere HB User

It has always made me feel tired and have stomach discomfort the next day and sometimes day after. I was taking 20 mg but my Rheum. cut it down to 10 mg because my liver enzymes are a little elevated.

At 10 mg the stomach discomfort is much better but the tiredness is still present.

Mere --

P.S. I have been taking the Mtx for about six months.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
(female)

Donte HB User

Mere - thanks for your input. Wow, you take 10mg? I'm only on 7.5 for now. Do you find that it has helped you in the last six months? If so, what has changed for you? I'm hoping this will make the pain in my hands and feet go away. I really hope this does it because I don't want to go to anything stronger. What other meds do you take?

Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
(female)

hazel595 HB User
Smile Re: Methotrexate Making Me Sooo Tired!

Hi D,

Don't worry too much at the moment hun, give it a bit of time. You should be having weekly blood tests for the first 4 weeks since starting the methotrexate and if the blood results are OK (they keep a close eye on Liver and Kidney functions) then they will ask you to go for monthly blood tests.

I stated on 2.5mg of metho once a week two years ago and I now take 20mgs however the higher dose has allowed me to decrease the prednisolone from 30mgs daily to 7mgs daily. I feel sooo much better it has helped me more than I can say. I would be terrified if they said I had to stop it I have so much faith in it.

Side effects - well what can I say - methotrexate is not for everone it just doesn't agree with some patients and no two people with Lupus are alike.

I found that eating a good breakfast first then taking my metho the whole 20mgs in the morning of one day helps. I only feel a bit nauseous if I take them without food. The other big helper is to make sure you drink plenty of water at least 2 litres a day this help to clear any toxin build up in the body.

I don't know about you but my hair was falling out before I took metho so that aspect didn't bother me so much as long as the bad fatigue went.

As for being sleepy well I make sure that on the day I take the metho I have an early night with a good book.

Believe me D it will help you but it does take a bit of time for your body to become adjusted to the metho even up to 3 months so please just be patient and never miss a blood test as the first sign of any problems will show up in the results.

I also take 5mgs of Folic Acid every day except the day I take the metho and these really help with any side effects. (makes your hair and nails nice as well )

I also take Plaquenil, Prednisolone and Warfarin all help together and I think I would be much worse off if I didn't take them. I know that if I miss a day then I feel ill for the rest of the week in particular the pred.

Hope my answer gives you a bit of hope but please remember that their are a small percentage of patients that are not able to tolerate methotrexate so if you are not sure then go to see you doctor. Don't stop any tablets abruptly even if you think they are not doing you any good speak to you doc first.

xxxxhazel

Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Donte The MTX made me feel better immediately. I was taking 15mgs a week also plaquenil 400mgs a day (still on Plaquenil). The MTX helped with the pain in my hands and seem to give me more grip in my hands. It also improved my energy for a while. You will need to get the blood tests done and please don't miss any of those tests. Unfortunately for me I started feeling bad and rheumy immediately took a blood test and my liver enzymes were up along with joint swelling and I don't remember what else except the fatigue which was much greater than normal. Once off the MTX it took a few weeks and I began to feel better. You will need to take folic acid with the MTX I was prescribed the proper dose which I think was 1000mg a day to take every day except the day you take the MTX. I also did not take any other OTCvitamins on the day of MTX. Everyone is different I really hope you can have success and relief with the MTX.

Glojer

Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

Donte HB User

Thank you Hazel and Gloger - your responses helped immensely. I guess I'm just concerned that I'm going to wait and wait for this to work and it never will. But, at least I know now that it may take a while and I should give it some time. I do take Plaquenil too which I've been on for two years. It just doesn't work as well as it used to. So, I'm hoping with the two together, it will cease the pain. I will definitely get my bloodwork done when I'm supposed to.

Closed Thread