It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

FeelinPuney HB User
Question Weight Gain with Lupus

Does anyone have trouble losing weight with Lupus? I don't eat alot but I don't excercise alot either.

Thanks,

Old 06-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

elizabethellen HB User
Re: Weight Gain with Lupus

Yes, i have had problems with weight,since having lupus,i don't know if it is actually related to the lupus or just that i am getting older,close to menipause and i can't walk ,on a daily basis ,as i use to because of pain in my legs and feet. I have started doing some toning exercises which helps.
ee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Feelin Puney,

I too have been unable to lose weight. Gaining doesn't seem to be any problem though. I am unable to exercise much because of connective tissue damage in my hips and legs. I also have a slow thyroid, (I am on medication to correct it though). I think I am going to give up on losing actually. It has been years since I have even tasted some of the things I love. Eating healthy hasn't seemed to make a difference so I think I'll just eat what I want for a while and hang the consequences.

May God Bless and Keep Us All
Patience 50

Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi,

As someone slightly over 50 and with a metabolism at at dead standstill, I cannot seem to lose the pounds gained since lupus was disgnosed. Bummer! Fatigue and joints slow me and then there is staying out of the sun.

I'd be glad to hear of any good way to successfully lose the weight!

Barbara

Old 06-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

Pixii HB User
Unhappy Re: Weight Gain with Lupus

hey guys... I'll take any you guys can pass on to me.. I've lost over 30lbs. in the 6 weeks I had that last nasty pneumonia. And now I'm stuck.. I can't gain anything.. Being a small person all my life, and having problems keeping weight on, this is like a major blow for me. I went for 5 years with being 126lbs.--132lbs. of my 5'4" frame, and I felt great.. Now I've lost down to 115... and I'm eating like a horse to keep this much on and not lose anymore..

I think it can go both ways with Lupus.. maybe it depends on if you are having small flares or not and don't realize it.. (and none of us would really, if we all feel like crapola all the time.. right?) Anyway.. I plan on telling me rheumy man about it, so he can at least look out for other patients that might have the same problem..

Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Pixii,

You have just added fuel to my belief that when one autoimmune problem flares, others that a person may have will also flare. The statement that you are eating like a horse and can not gain weight to me shouts that your thyroid is overactive and your metabolism is running away with you. This is the primary symptom of hyper thyroid autoimmune disease, otherwise known as Graves disease. If the disease progresses without being diagnosed it can cause extremely rapid heart beat, dizzyness, sweats, insomnia, ect. Undiagnosed a person's heart will eventually beat so rapidly it will simply wear itself out and fail.

Like hypoT this can happen over a long period of time of in a very short time. Thyroid disease can be very fickle in that it can manifest itself as hyperT for a while and then go over to hypoT without ever having specific symptoms until a crisis is reached. Have you ever had thyroid antibodies checked? Perhaps you should. I am becomming more and more convinced that when the immune system goes awry it can manifest itself in more than one way.

Patience 50,

Old 06-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
(female)

deedea HB User

Hi everyone. What Pixii writes about weight loss intrigues me. I to have lost weight rapidly, I also have been small all of my life. I have gone from about 122lbs. to 108lbs. My thyroid was checked and I was told all is normal. I saw my dr. on friday and she informed me that I have an eating disorder that I was unaware of. I almost fell off my chair when she asked me if I make myself vomit after I eat. I don't and would never even imagine doing this. She also said I was depressed and should see a dietician and a therapist. I left there in tears. I eat more now than I ever have just trying to gain weight because I really look sickly skinny. I sympathize with anyone who has a weight problem of any sort because it plays such a big role in a person's self image and self esteem. Of course if you are on the losing side of the weight problem strawberry milkshakes are a great way to soothe yourself, temporarily anyway. hehe. If any of you have any great ways to gain weight I would be open to suggestions. deedea.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear deedea, You have my sympathy, for having to hear such comments. I got much the same. I still lose my appetite during flares. I also had chronic IBS-like symptoms for years, so I got comments on THAT, too.

I have to make myself eat balanced meals. I don't gain weight back quickly, but I try not to lose any additional. I eat most fresh fruits freely, most veggies, chicken, fish, blander desserts, etc. Plus, I keep hydrated. Red meat doesn't agree with me, and ditto with other high-fat, high-calorie foods like butter, ice cream, etc.

I changed doctors, then again & again. The rheumie who finally Dx'ed me & whom I still see has NEVER uttered this kind of comment. He does comment on my weight, though, when he sees that I'm too thin.

Deedea, are you on meds right now? I can't find your post(s) where you may have said. I figured I'd go back to my old weight after starting Plaquenil, but I never have. Not sure if there is a correlation there---maybe someone here has a thought on that?

Best wishes! Hang in there, OK?! Vee

Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Deedea,

Milkshakes sound like a great idea. For several periods in my life I was bone thin and Dr.s thought I was anorexic. One even suggested I check myself into the local mental hospital for 6 weeks. At that time I weighted 97lb. I am 5'1" tall. I had three kids at home and a hubby who was on the road. No family close by to keep them so there was no way I checking in anywhere unless death was near. Then she suggested that I eat a spoon full of something every 20 to 30 minutes all day long. Working in a produce dept. that was easy. For a while everyone in the place was bringing me food too. Nothing like fresh stickey buns with walnuts fresh from the oven. Yum, Yum. The walnuts I think didn't agree with me but they were good anyway. It took 2 1/2 years for me to gain 10 lb. and keep it on.

I've been having a bout with IBS again lately. I just hate it. Three or four days can't go at all. Now I am swollen in my belly and bloody down below and sore all over from going constantly the past two days. Dr. says when this happens it is my thyroid being temporarily out of whack but this is a repeating cycle for a couple of years. This sort of thing has been going on since I was a kid but the cycle used to only last a few weeks to a couple months. Now I never seem to have a normal time and I still don't lose weight. Actually, I have lost almost 5 lb. this week but I will put it back on as soon as the cycle reverses itself again.

I must tell you all too, the cardiac Dr. I was sent to last year for my heart hypertension told me I couldn't possibly have any form of Lupus because I am heavy, unless of course I was on steroids.

I suppose we are simply puzzles that the medical community will probably never fully understand. We just have to do the best we can.

Patience 50

Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Patience. Do you mean, from your last post, that you actually pass blood during IBS-like episodes? I do NOT want to nag (especially someone I love talking with as much as I do you)---but is this something you've had properly checked out?

FYI, my hubby finally broke down a few weeks ago and had the colonoscopy he was told to have, oh, about 8 years ago. In our local hospitals they now use Verset (spelling?) People do not even remember the procedure. He was hilarious afterward: kept asking me the same questions, no matter how many times I answered. Within an hr., his memory was OK again. He was smiling & as happy as can be, too. I considered it somewhat of an improvement, actually, on his usual personality.

...unlike me years back, when I had umpteen diagnostic procedures! No meds, no nothing. Point is, times have changed!

Anyway, don't want to nag you---but just a little concerned. Always your buddy, Vee

Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Sorry VeeJ,

I didn't mean to frighten you. The bloody I spoke of as far as I can tell is just around the point of exit. I get so much gas and go so many times during these episodes that it gets so irritated. Dr. has told me I don't have hemoroids and it doesn't appear that the stools are bloody so it is just from excessive yeast from so much gas and the constant going for several days.

My stomach is really sore just now too. More so than ususal. I have been awakened the past 2 nights with severe cramps, gas pain, and then I have to go right away.

Never had a colonoscopy. Dr. suggested it last year but ins. wouldn't pay so I opted to avoid it. By the time I had a firm dx of lupus and mctd I was so tired of tests and Dr.s that I just didn't bring it up again.

Like I said, my system seems to go to one extreme or the other. It never seems to settle in the middle anymore. I really would be hard pressed to decide which condition is more uncomfortable.

Like you, I eat a great deal of fresh fruit and veggies. I grew up on them having spent so much time on my grandparents farm. Later I kept to the fresh foods for the fiber because of the constipation.

These days when the trots set in I wonder if I shouldn't eat less of the fresh and the fiber but then all of a sudden I will be unable to go for a few days again so I change my mind and keep the fresh veggies stocked. What can you do.

I must go to Dr. in Aug. or early Sept. for more blood work and I may mention it then if this cycle keeps up. I probably won't bother until then because of still oweing so much on last winter's tests and procedures. Balance is going down but slowly. Dr. hasn't done anything about it in the past anyway but it has never been this constant a cycle either. I suppose this is a "time will tell" issue. For today everything seems to have eased up so maybe I will have a few days of healing before it begins again. It just seems as if a problem has to be severe, nearly life threatening, before it gets diagnosed or treated.

Patience 50

Old 06-28-2005, 08:08 AM   #12
(female)

Pixii HB User
Talking Re: Weight Gain with Lupus

they checked my thyroid and it's ok..
I'm happy to say while I've been eating like a horse.. I've not lost anymore.. for that I'm grateful.. I've never had a thyroid problem.. always came up neg. And I've never lost weight like this before either.. so fast and while I was eating good too..

So there has to be some kind of correlation between weight and Lupus.. Whether it is gaining or losing... just wish they could find a happy medium in there somewhere for all of us..

Old 06-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, Patience. I didn't mean to scare YOU, either. I personally would bring it up with your doctor, though, if I were in your shoes, just to be on the safe side.

Oh, my hubby had one polyp removed, biopsy was negative (yay). I wondered if he had diverticulosis, but he did not (yay, again).

Some drs. recommend Metamucil, to help the GI tract absorb liquid & promote more "normalcy". But, again, that advice would only be good if the dr. were sure of the underlying cause.

Have you ever done a food diary, to see if which (if any) foods & beverages might be increasing your symptoms? I've learned over years that I have a quite a few no-no's. But the biggest help I've gotten was starting Plaquenil, at which point I became MUCH more stable, GI-wise.

I never knew, until after the fact, that something like 40% of lupus patients have troublesome GI problems. 'Course I never suspected I might have lupus, either!

Catch you later, Vee

Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
(female)

deedea HB User

Vee,

Hope you are doing well first of all To answer your questions, I am not on any type of meds, I have not even been dx. with lupus or anything else for that matter. I have been going to dr. for about 4 months now, am actually on my second dr. who I thought would be better than the first. I was wrong. I only started coming to this board after I researched my ailments and almost all of them point to lupus. When this dr. told me Friday she believes I have an eating disorder I just cried went to my car and said forget about it. I have been living with all of this for a year or more so I guess I will continue to live with it. The only definite answers I have gotten between the two docs is that I test positive for EBV, I have leukoplakia, and my rbc is extremely low which they both say is unexplainable b/c my iron level is normal(144 ug/dL), one test did say macrocytosis but neither dr. seemed to be concerned about that b/c it was borderline and dr. said that could just be the norm for me. Have gotten no good responses regarding my weight loss, hair loss, or occassional rash. Anyway, thanks for weight gain suggestions, I have a terrible headache today so I am going to take some tylenol and try to get rid of it b/f I have to go to class. Hope you all have a great day. deedea.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #15
(female)

deedea HB User

Patience,

Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope that you can get some of that resolved, I to have bouts of constipation and the other. Especially the other around the time my period starts. As if that isn't bad enough. I will continue to stuff myself so hopefully I will gain weight. My family worries that b/c I do eat so healthy that is why I don't gain, they are constantly bringing me fatty foods as well. I have always liked a big salad and a bowl of fruit opposed to a banana split. My preference for chicken and fish has always been higher than eating red meat. Not to say that I don't eat it, but I just would rather have grilled chicken than steak. Being told I have an eating disorder just made me crazy, I don't have an eating disorder. I KNOW THIS!!! I probably like to eat more than most people, granted anymore I can only eat small amounts before I feel full or bloated but I still eat. Sometimes I force myself to finish what is on my plate just so my boyfriend doesn't say anything. Anyhow, I just pray that all of this will work itself out and I can be normal again. Thanks for your suggestions and again I hope that everything is well for you. deedea

Closed Thread