It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User
Question Lupus and sleep disorders *question*

Hi every
I was wondering if any of you , have this very strange sleep problem. I will be fine no yawning, no draggin my feet, and then I sit down, and I am out like a light. There is no drifting off, I just wake up. I do not know if I am passing out or just some weird lupus fatigue shutdown, or if I over did it for the day. SOmetimes it is from a few hours, and sometimes, its just a few minutes. Yes I have insomnia, I have had it since I was 12. SO I am accustomed to lack of sleep, but this is abrupt and sudden. It just has no markers of normal sleep when I go out, and when I wake up, I am very disoriented. I had it before I was pregnant, and I also had it before and after taking plaquenil. I do have a neurologist and he would like to do a mri, but that makes me nervous because there is no hardcore knowledge on Mri's and prenancy, just that they should not be down until I am 16wks. Oh and it happened once after I was driving in Indiana. I stopped at a rest stop, and sat back down in the car, and I just couldnt move, and *poof* I was sleep or passed out. Lasted off and on for about four hours.
Felicia

Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: Lupus and sleep disorders *question*

Felicia,
Almost sounds like narcolepsy to me. I would follow your neurologist's advice. Fatigue is very common in lupus, but you should rule out the other stuff first. If you're uncertain about an MRI during pregnancy, put a call into your gynecologist first.

~sam~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Felicia,

I too have a dreadful time getting to sleep once in bed. I have gone off though as you say at the most inappropriate times. I have listed a few things for you to try regarding your night and bed time sleep. You have most probably tried them, but maybe there might be one or two that you haven't tried.

Take a warm bath - with some lavender or chamomile oil in

Get a massage - a very gentle one though. The best one I find is a very gentle scalp masssage

Listen to music - or even your favourite sounds i.e. dolphins, rippling streams, anything that you find relaxes you

Drink warm milk - with honey if you like it

Drink herbal tea - a popular one is chamomile

Eat a bedtime snack - by this I mean something very light, never go to bed hungry

Avoid caffeine, alcohol and tobacco

Sleep in a well-ventilated room - no draughts, not too warm and not too cold

Sleep on a good firm bed - never an orthopaedic mattress if you have a bad or painful back

Sleep on your back - if possible

Get some physical exercise during the day - I know it's hard at times, but even gentle stretching or sitting down mini-workouts are good

Keep regular bedtime hours - not always easy I know, but try your best

If you can't sleep - get up and maybe do a little gentle tidying up or something like that

Don't sleep in - do your best to get up soon after you have woken up

Try to get up a bit earlier in the morning

Keep your bed as a place for sleep - try not reading anything that will require intense concentration. Don't do crosswords or any type of puzzle and definitely no work from the office

These are just a few things I have tried in the past. The thing is that when you do nod off, don't worry it is only your body giving the signal that you need to rest, which is an obvious thing to say I know, but when we have lupus it is most important that we have these little rests and nod-offs. Of course the other alternative is to get sleep medications, but I personally don't want to go there.

Hope the above is of interest.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 09-20-2005 at 08:11 AM.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

jusbreath, I think I would be checking with a doc. Do you have control over the nodding off or does it just happen without warning? Is it just when you sit down to rest or can it happen when you are driving etc.? Sounds like some serious consideration should be given to this problem

Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #5

Sun_Shine HB User

Justbreath - by your description it sounds like you might a sleep disorder. Definately get that checked out as it could be serious if it happens if your driving or doing something that could hurt yourself or others if you suddenly feel asleep. The good news is that you can go to sleep so quickly - bad news is that your not able to control it. Hopefully a doctor can help you to get a handle on this.

Good luck & take care of yourself!

Old 09-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
(male)

Rdryno HB User

I'm on 40mg of pred/day and have suffered some insomnia. For the past two months, I have had some luck taking 2 mg of Lunesta. I get good night's sleep when I take the med before bed; and no side effects in the morning. It might be an option you want to ask your dr. about.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Rdryno, question for you about the lunesta. Do you notice any side effects, such as the funny taste in your mouth or throat that has been talked about, and how does it work for you as in right away or do you stay up a while after taking it? I do ambien now and the doc suggested lunesta and was just curious.

Thanks
Glojer

Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

I have never done it while actually driving, I did have it happen after a long driving trip, I had stopped the car for a bathroom break, and went to read my map at the rest stop.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

Sorry text repeated

Last edited by jusbreatheOM; 10-03-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

On sleeping pills and common drugs given to make you relax, I have an adverse reaction too. I have had insomnia since I was at least 12. I have tried everything so far. Even tried an abundance of wholistic therapies. But I love to find what works for others, might get lucky...... I do have a neurologist, and I do not have narcolepsy, a seizure disorder maybe, we will see. Thank for the input.

Closed Thread