It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

evenfive HB User
Red, Burning, rashness-knees, elbows, middle of chest

hi, i'm a newbie but not at these symptoms. Recently discovered about SLE, my ana titre was 320.
i'm interested if anyone else gets big redness on their legs, especially around knees, after a shower?
And also anyone who experiences red burning at their knees, elbows and upper chest(top of rib cage area)?
These are my defining symptoms at the moment, ova the years my sle symptoms have made me a bit of a freak but am dealing with the fatigue side of it now but just find it so annoying and hard to stay focussed when my knees, elbows, chest start burning up on me. if anyone has any info on this, will be eternally grateful for any suggestions or experiences. Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Red, Burning, rashness-knees, elbows, middle of chest

Hi, evenfive. I'm not sure from what you wrote whether your redness is a rash in the sense of staying put for awhile---vs. something more fleeting.

Have you looked for info on the various lupus rashes that can appear in places other than the face? (I'm omitting butterfly = malar rash because you didn't mention facial area; and bullous, because you didn't cite watery blisters.) Here are some: (1) discoid (tends to scar & depigment); (2) subacute cutaneous papulosquamous form (looks like psoriasis a bit, but isnt; doesn't scar or depigment); (3) subacute cutaneous annual (circular) form (doesn't scar or depigment); (4) tumid (a "discoid" variant).

Do you see any correlation with sun exposure?

If you think these episodes are not rashes, then do you think a vascular reaction of some sort is possible? I have cutaneous vasculitis on my feet & ankles, and these areas sting & itch & burn during & after a hot shower.

This isn't very profound---sorry! Hope you continue to post & to get more ideas from others here. Sincerely & with best wishes, Vee (Dx'ed with SCLE, negative ANA but positive Ro, SCLE annular rashes for many moons)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
(male)

evenfive HB User

thank you for your feedback Vee, the rashs and redness comes and goes but is usually in sync with the hotness and burning. I'm not too knowledgable on some of the more involved non-menclature(or big words) of the top of my head but appreciate your reply all the same.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Sorry, evenfive! I was trying to understand how long your skin redness lasts & if it only starts after a hot shower---but then fades fairly quickly.

If it's something that happens only after a hot shower, then fades out, it *may be* a vascular reaction, meaning having to do with blood vessels & blood circulation. Lupus can cause a whole variety of vascular disruption, ranging from serious permanent damage to internal organs to mild "skin-only" temporary changes.

In contrast, a rash would tend to last days---or weeks or months.

That's what I was trying (in my clumsy way ) to get at. Best wishes, from Vee

Old 09-24-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
(male)

evenfive HB User

Thank you Vee, it must be a vascular disruption effect, from your knowledge. Thanks for sharing, who knows, that might turn up something new for me.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Dear evenfive, Others have posted in the past on this, too. Maybe some of them will check in soon---hope so. Take good care, Vee

Closed Thread