It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

Irishgal HB User
worried about my daughter age 25

Hi

I hope someone can help with me with this. My daughter is 25 and has had arthritis since she was 16, as far as we know. in total both her ankes have been sore, it was like she sprained them. both her knees were sore and would get an awful amount of fluid on them. arthritis in her hip so bad she had a replacement last year, both her shoulders, at different times, would get so sore that she would have to hold her arm as she walked because she couldnt move it. and her chest is sore. the bone under her collar bone is a little swollen and always sore. the medication she has to take for it is very strong so she only takes it when she needs to. also her left foot is very painful and is due to have a op in the new year
among all of that she has crohns disease. she is constantly tired. always just drained. on her face between her eyes and on either side of her nose is always red and dry and flakey. the only creme that works to help it is creme de la mer. im wondering if she might have fibromyalgia or lupus. as the years have gone on she seems to be getting worse. every year a new joint hurts or is swollen or she is even more tired

i appreicate any answers

Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: worried about my daughter age 25

Dear irishgirl, Welcome. Here are some thoughts---but, obviously, I'm no professional, just a patient.

Has your daughter been evaluated by a rheumatologist? Had bloodwork done for lupus & related autoimmunes (e.g., ANA *plus* specific autoantibody tests such as anti-Dna, anti-Sm, anto-Ro, anti-La, anti-RNP, etc.)? There are actually 16 things seen in bloodwork of lupus patients, I've read, so this list is not complete.

Has she discussed with her gastroenterologist the incidence of such symptoms in Crohn's? Or possible side effects from her Crohn's meds (I'm thinking of the facial skin problems you described)? I ask because Dr. Wallace [see next paragrapgh] does discuss the incidence of GI problems in lupus. His opinion is that 1% to 4% of lupus patients have *ulcerative colitis*, but that *Crohn's* and lupus hardly ever co-exist. For what that's worth... Obviously, that would mean, if true, that IBD & lupus are entirely possible, but that Crohn's & lupus aren't very likely. (But that info is from a book & I don't think it should ever outweigh evaluation by a trusted doctor.)

Further, "functional" GI problems (meaning not the inflammatory kind) are VERY common in lupus. I think I've read stats of upwards of 40% to 45% of lupus pateints having some episodes of this type.

Have you read up on lupus? There are several "sticky posts" with the diagnostic criteria at the front of the Board. These criteria are tricky. One has to have 4 of the 11, but not at the same time (meaning over a lifetime). Plus the criteria apply to *systemic* lupus, not to it's subsets (discoid, subacute cutaneous, drug-induced & neonatal). There are some very good lupus hardcovers to be found in most libraries & bookstores: look for a book by Dr. Daniel Wallace & several by Dr. Robert Lahita.

I myself had monstrous, disgusting GI problems for 25+ years, but despite repeated GI tests, IBD was never found. I was finally Dx'ed with the subacute cutanous "subset" of lupus (was ANA-negative but positive for anti-Ro) when I was almost 48 years old. Whether due to age or to the antimalarial I take, my GI problems improved a whole lot. But I reaize that inflammatory bowel disease is of a different order than the "functional" problem I had, bad as it felt to me...

I hope you post back with more thoughts. I think several others here have also had chronic GI problems, so maybe they'll chip in soon. Anyway, good luck & best wishes! Sincerely, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 12-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread