It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
(male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User
lupus and drinking

Should you be drinking beer,wine or alcohol when you have lupus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

serendipity02 HB User
Re: lupus and drinking

I wish someone knew the answer to this. I 've been wondering too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I don't think I've seen any "rule" on this, either, except as relates to medications. e.g., I take Plaquenil, and the Rx printout advises not to use alcohol. I'm not sure what the printouts for other commonly used lupus drugs might instruct.

But alcohol is, of course, a depressant, and thus not advisable for some people for that reason alone.

Hmmmmmm.... Maybe best to simply to ask the dr.? Best wishes, Vee

Old 12-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
(male)

Rdryno HB User

I asked my rhuemy about this when I started plaquenil and prednisone a couple years ago and she didn't have a problem with me drinking moderately. I generally have three to five drinks a week and haven't had any problems since starting medication.

That's just my experience...

Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
(female)

clogan1974 HB User

I would have to agree with referring the question to ones doctor. Medications and or individual situations can play a role. I personally asked my doctor what they thought because I'm currently on 12 different medications, and was advised to cut to half of what I would normally drink (in the past maybe one glass of wine a month if that) for example, if I drink one glass of wine, to only drink half instead. I asked only due to the holidays and it would be nice to have some wine with dinner.
good luck and hope you find the answers you are looking for. keep us posted.

Cindy
mother of two, wife to a wonderful husband
Lupus Nephritis type IV w/ edema

Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
(female)

oeee HB User

I don't drink and wouldn't recommend it. The medications most of us take are very hard on our livers and drinking only taxes them further....unless you feel as though you must have that drink...sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
(female)

cherylynn1964 HB User

I wasn't sure if we could post web addresses. So, I just copied the article I found. It's just one opinion, but it seemed to make some good points. I guess the best thing to do is always ask your doctor. Anyway, just thought I would share one medical expert's opinion.

Education

Back to Education Page

Back to Lupus Articles Listing

There's no way to soften the bad news about drinking alcohol. While anyone is at risk from alcohol's negative side-effects, people who take prescription medications (and also some over-the-counter-ones) put themselves at an even greater risk of suffering health troubles.

The problems occur because alcohol can change the way the body uses, or metabolizes, certain medications. Alcohol is absorbed through the intestinal tract and shuttled to the liver, where chemical "knives" called enzymes break it into smaller molecules. Trouble is, alcohol causes the body to make more of these enzymes, especially when someone drinks regularly (even so-called "social" amounts of alcohol). Some of these enzymes are the same "knives" that break down medications so the body can use them. In producing more enzymes, the liver metabolizes medications faster. The bottom line: medications are sent into the bloodstream much faster and to a larger extent than when you don't drink. This can be dangerous, intensifying both the positive and negative side-effects of medications.

It is a myth that you can avoid these alcohol medication side-effects by taking medications while you are not drinking: the liver is still in "over-drive," producing more of these enzymes for some time after you drink. Another myth: "You have to drink hard liquor to suffer dangerous consequences." Beer and wine are just as likely to cause problems.

Of the 50 most frequently proscribed drugs, more than half contain ingredients that react adversely with alcohol. Among the negative effects are seizures, headaches, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion and coma. Don't forget that medications that are available without a prescription can also react adversely with alcohol. People with lupus, for example, often take Tylenol to alleviate pain. Drinking any amount of alcohol can cause Tylenol to be toxic to the liver at much smaller doses. Alcohol mixed with aspirin can lead to bleeding in the stomach. If you are taking methotrexate or other immunosuppressive medications, drinking greatly increases the chance that you will suffer liver damage.

Young bodies demand good nutrition. Teenagers and young adults need relatively more protein and nutrients to support growth and development. In addition, anyone with a chronic disease like lupus needs even better nutrition to also fight the chronic disease. Alcohol interferes with good nutrition in a couple of ways. Alcohol causes the body to waste some nutrients, basically by burning them up at a faster rate. In addition, the body's first priority is to metabolize or use alcohol, rather than the type of calories a person (especially teenagers) needs to grow. Anyone with lupus should avoid alcohol, particularly when taking medications, or restrict their alcohol intake as much as possible.

By Kristine M. Napier, N.P.H., R.D., L.D.

Reprinted, with permission, from Lupus World, Patient Empowerment Through Information, a publication of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655

Old 01-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya everyone,

Just to say that it isn't having lupus that makes drinking alcohol a no-no, but it is the medications which are the reason alcohol is advised against.

Take care

goldenwings

Old 01-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
(female)

SassySingleMa HB User

My doctor told me that I shouldn't drink at all. He said it doesn't do anything to HELP my body so I should just leave it alone....my body is doing enough 'stuff' to itself! Every doctor is different. Mine is very conservative.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
(female)

jennyback HB User

Im on methotrexate and my dr said no alcohol because of an interaction but she says it depends on your meds. Drink in moderation also .jenny

Closed Thread