HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lupus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/)
-   -   Question about joint pain? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/347551-question-about-joint-pain.html)

Glojer 12-08-2005 09:55 AM

Question about joint pain?

Hi everyone, haven't had a question in a long time but was wondering for those of you with joint pain....Is your joint pain worse in the summer sunshine months or is it worse for you in the cold winter months?

I really believe I do better in the winter months because of the sun but just wanted some others opinions and input on the subject. Thanks!

Glojer

goldenwings 12-09-2005 01:27 PM

Re: Question about joint pain?

Hello There Glojer,

Personally I feel worse in the Summer time. Even though I don't get out much at this time, when I do I feel that the heat not just the sun makes me very achey and so on. I do tend to have a lot of swelling in my legs, ankles and fingers, not just my joints.

I find that in Winter because of perhaps wrapping up well and keeping our hands and legs and body generally covered and warm, this then stops the tendency to hold ourselves stiff and tense, which I find does contribute in developing these aches and pains in our bodies because of the cold.

Just how I feel. I hope you are doing ok, love as always to your wonderful husband and yourself.

Take care.

goldenwings :angel:

patience 50 12-11-2005 06:39 PM

I have to agree with Goldenwings. I too have less joint pain and swelling in the winter. Most others around me have more discomfort with the cold and all but the pain and inflamation actually subside noticeably in all my joints. There is a train of thought that says it is the lack of humidity but I think it is the lack of sunshine. It's a real bummer because my thyroid thing makes me crave the heat. What can one do.

May God Bless and Keep Us All
Patience 50

Glojer 12-12-2005 05:06 AM

Thanks golden and patience for the replys, I agree with you on doing better in the winter. I have to be running off to my new rhuemy appt. now but I will post later. Maybe I will have good news from the appt.

Later

Glojer

goldenwings 12-14-2005 01:34 AM

Dear Glojer,

If you are able to let us know how your appointment went, would you please? I worry about you because of all that is going on with you and your wonderful husband at the moment. I hope you are managing to keep well.

I know it is a perhaps not the thing to do because of your situation but may I ask you a question? Do you know anything about thyroid cysts? My cyber friend who also has lupus has just been diagnosed with one of these and she has been told it will get bigger. Is surgery normally performed if it gets a lot bigger? Or can drugs bring it down to a manageable size? She has an enlarged thyroid gland too on the same side. The thing is she is so frightened of surgery. She has an intense phobia of having a general anaesthetic, so any information I can get for her with regard to treatment of this will be good for her. She was told yesterday to go home and not let it worry her, easy to say for those who haven't got the problem isn't it?

Sorry to put more on your shoulders, but you are the only one I know with thyroid problems.

Take care my friend.

patience 50 12-14-2005 05:16 AM

Good morning Goldenwings,

I'm jumping in here because I also have Thyroid issues. Actually many of the symptoms of Lupus are also symptoms of thyroid problems so you can see how I went so long before anyone looked for anything else.

What you told us is a little vague. As with all parts of the body, what is done about a mass depends on what kind of a mass it is. As a rule, cysts are not worried about unless they are interferring with the function of something. In this case, with the thyroid gland being swollen on the same side, it may be prudent to consider having the cyst removed if Dr.s feel this is the course to take. Most of the time the Dr.s around here will try medication first to try to get the thyroid function back to normal and see if the cyst will go away on it's own.

The host of problems that arise when the thyroid isn't functioning properly is almost never ending. The thyroid is one of those glands that can completely control good health, or cause very bad health. I don't want to scare you or your friend, but if the thyroid is malfunctioning it could eventually cause severe problems with all functions of the body and/or death if left untreated. The problem most people associate thyroid problems with is weight as the thyroid controls metabolism. However, it also causes cardiac, blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar, joint, muscle, memory, and cognitive problems.

There is a long history of thyroid problems in my family, maternal side, and the symptoms and problems are even longer. It really isn't anything to fool with. Our oldest son and my one aunt suffered complete thyroid disfunction as children of 9 or 10. It was found because they both stopped growing and teeth and hair stopped forming, things like that. My Aunt is 10 years my senior so this has been around a long time. Two other aunts and one uncle lost had their thyroids slow down in adulthood like mine has. One of those aunts and myself have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. My grandmother and one uncle developed Graves disease that necessitated having their thyroid glands destroyed with radiation to prevent certain death.

I don't know what to say about your friend's fear of ansthesia except that she will probably not realize she is being put under. The drugs they have these days to relax you before you are actually put under are so effective many people rarely remember actually going to sleep, at least here. Was that not the case with your recent procedure? Since you have had a surgery recently you may be in the best position to try to reassure your friend that she will wake up again. I am assuming your friend is a woman but I know men can have these phobia's as well.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any more specific questions I'm sure Glojer of I will answer if we can. Glojer, I hope I didn't step on your toes jumping in here.

Merry Christmas
Patience 50 :wave:

goldenwings 12-14-2005 05:39 AM

Hello Patience,

I am so pleased to chat with you again. Thank you for the information. I will, with your permission, pass this on to my friend. At the moment, she has developed quite a few lumps, for instance she had a lump in her breast that was there for a long time and has now disappeared. She was ready to have it looked into further when her doctor couldn't locate it, even though it had been so prominent throughout all of the examinations. She also has a long standing infection that has only just been determined as being caused by a cyst above a tooth which has connected into the floor of her sinuses and she has to see a maxillofacial surgeon.

Whilst she is happy that these are proving to be not dangerous, she is absolutely petrified of anaesthesia as I said. She had a very bad experience when she was a child and this has lead to the phobia. It isn't unfortunately something that she can even think about, she is so scared.

She is in the medical field and so works with patients every day, but she is such a superb person and for her to be worried like this is not usual.

I do thank you on her behalf Patience, and I wish you and your family all the very best for now and the holiday. I do hope you are keeping a bit better than when I last spoke to you.

Take care.

golenwings :angel:

patience 50 12-14-2005 06:01 AM

Hello again Goldenwings,

It's good to chat with you also. I hope you are fully recovered and looking forward to Christmas with family and friends.

I am well overall. I would be near perfect if I could just get some energy and not feel as if I am dragging through every day. However, one must be happy with what one has. Overall I have much more than I did even 1 year ago so I'll be very happy with that.

If the Dr.s treat that infection you mentioned they may find that this cyst may dissappear too. This could be nothing more than a puss pocket from the long term infection. The human body is so very good at keeping things at bay but it can get tricky if something goes undetected for a long time. You know what they are saying these days, that your dentist can often tell when there is problem in the body before your Dr. can. Something about the teeth and gums showing things so quickly. I don't know all the details about that but I do believe it.

Merry Christmas

goldenwings 12-14-2005 06:33 AM

Hello Again Patience,

Well it will just be my husband and myself as usual at Christmas. It will be good this year as he will actually have Sunday off, which he normally works. Unfortunately, we don't have family and as I say cyber friends but not any flesh and blood ones hee hee !! I will toast you all though on the day.

I am waiting on the results of some tests, but other than that just plodding along as usual. I am waiting to see a counsellor for my depression, but that appointment is a long time coming. I admitted to myself that I needed help with this and took the plunge. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I get to speak about it.

I am so pleased to know that things are not too bad for you. I like you though use the little bit of energy I get every day, and don't leave myself time to refuel. I don't know any other way though, I know I feel as though I am being a little lazy and therefore feel quite guilty if I sit still in the afternoon hee hee !!

Anyway take care and lots of love to you.

patience 50 12-14-2005 06:57 AM

I have to say in a way I envy you, Goldenwings. These big family parties can be so much work and co-ordinating everything takes to much. This past Thanksgiving it was just DH and myself because he was on call and needed to sleep up until they called him out. It was the first time that has happened in all our 37 or so years together and I have to tell you it was so nice to not worry about anyone else. I know that is selfish and I'm sure you would wish for a large family sometimes. I guess it just proves that there are pluses and drawbacks to everything.

I so wish you could be here with us. Dinner for 5 has turned into dinner for 11 because this old gal can't say no to anyone at Christmas so if you were here it wouldn't be any extra at all except for plates.

Hope your tests come back well. I'm also happy you are seeking help for the depression. It isn't really a weakness, although many of us seem to feel it is. Sometimes we all just need a little help with day to day. Hope the Dr.s can help you quickly.

Hugs to you. Merry Christmas

Glojer 12-14-2005 06:47 PM

Patience, thanks so much for answering Goldens question. I would not have had an answer for her. You were great to jump in here cause I would have probably recommended asking you anyway. I know you have all the scoop when it comes to thyroid and I am still learning. And you two had such a great conversation, I have been away from the boards dealing with my hubbys illness and just tried to catch up on a few things this evening.

Golden I will have some questions for you, hopefully will get here tomorrow or possible Friday. But I promise I will get my questions to you and anyone else that can wade in on the subject. I just need a little time to organize my thoughts and catch my breath.

Glojer

goldenwings 12-15-2005 05:14 AM

Hiya Glojer,

Take it easy, I will be here when you need me.

Luv 'n stuff

patience 50 12-15-2005 05:30 PM

Hi Glojer,

I'm glad I could be of help to Goldenwings but so sorry you are going through a rough time just now. We will keep you in our minds and in our hearts. Hope all is better soon.

Merry Christmas

Glojer 12-16-2005 07:26 AM

Goldenwings,

I am going to take a few minutes to ask you my question...finally! I would like to know your opinion, and I know it is strictly your opinion not medical fact, but that is what I want an experienced opinion. What is your opinion on taking prednisone long term, low dosage (4mg a day)? What do you think of what can be long term side effects, osteoporosis, glaucoma, cataracts, etc., and whether the chance of getting these side effects outweighs the benefit and the relief of pain that prednisone can bring?

I am asking because I know you have had experience with this drug and right now I am in a quandry as to taking prednisone or not. It does give me fabulous relief and helps with energy and even I think makes my thyroid function better. As you know I did come down off this drug for the new rhuemy. Well she turned out to be a bust!!! She seemed to want to push anti D's on me and didn't even want to address the joint pain and when I questioned her about it she gave me a script for sulfasalazine. It has it's own side effects although maybe not as bad as prednisone. So far it isn't working very well but I will give it the two week trial period, I have never been one to give up without trying. I don't know why she was so hung up on me getting off prednisone so she could check my joints and things then simply wanted to prescribe an anti D which she says was for sleep, but I don't need it I take ambien and she knew that. I went to her to discover why my joints hurt so much. Makes you want to say DUH.....Doctors!!

Anyone else that has an opinion please weigh in, I am trying to make a decision from the personal experience of others and the medical facts I have gathered. I have spoken with my gp about this and she says I have to make the decision between relief and the possible side effects down the road. No Help there except to keep me on track thinking about what I already knew.

Golden you know right now I'm in the middle of a lot of stress and I am surprisingly doing ok but the joint pain and fatigue continue to plague me . I still have my standing appt. with my old rhuemy in Feb. and I want to have a decision made by then and have my list of questions to him. After my second disasterous visit with the new rhuemy, it has made me appreciate the old one. Even if he aggravates me with some of the things he says and does, he has always answered all my questions and always made me feel like he does care.

Sorry this is so long, golden I will mention on the fibromyalgia board that I posted my question here.

Patience thank you for the good thoughts, my hubby is right in the middle of his chemotherapy right now and he is having a tough time with his blood counts droping low and we are scurrying back and forth for shots and tests and transfusions etc. At least it keeps us out of trouble, two old retired people like us could get into some bad trouble Christmas shopping for the grandchild if we had the time. We have already overdone it as it is. How is your group of grandchildren, I know you are blest many times over. I certainly admire you for being able to have the family together at your place, this year our son and daughter in law are taking over, that is our Christmas blessing.

Glojer

patience 50 12-16-2005 07:56 AM

Hi Glojer,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know how hard it is to keep the red blood cells up during the harsh chemo treatments. He must have much pain in his joints too from it all.

Well, Christmas dinner has just kind of taken on a life of it's own but this year I am only making a couple pies, roast beef, and ham. The pies aren't even home made, shame on me. They came from the local freezer case. My sister is bringing the turkey and some veggies and our daughter is coming down to make the potato filling. Everything is being served on paper goods this year so all we do is fill the trash can to clean up. Lots of short cuts to save on time, and energy so everyone can enjoy at the day. People will just have to live without my good dishes and silverware. They can all just be happy to be together and celebrate Christ's birthday. I am getting cranky in my old age and have decided if anyone doesn't like it they can stay home next year. To me the food will all be great and the company lovely.

I know what you mean about those grandchildren though. I found a gift I know all ages would love back last summer and purchased enough for all the kids. I was so pleased to have done my holiday shopping early and now everytime I go to a store for any reason I see something I think one of the children would love to have. I have begun to take Hubby along because he doesn't let me dawdle in the toys. Seems we have grandchild number 8 on the way sometime in late May or June. We just keep on growing.

There are lots of problems with us just now but there is also much to be thankful for. If we all stick together and hang on to our faith we will make it though.

Merry Christmas