It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

Bryansmom HB User
Cool Anyone on Vicodin?

Hey to all of you!

I have been a "lurker" here for quite some time. I was dx'd about 8 months ago (although symptoms started 15+ years ago) with SLE and have been doing well on plaquenil. I have, however, failed naprosyn and clinoril for pain. My rheumatologist just switched me over to vicodin. Just wondering how many others are on this?

Just curious.

This is a great place. Thanks for the information.

Michelle in CA

Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
(male)

paulyd333 HB User
Re: Anyone on Vicodin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryansmom
Hey to all of you!

I have been a "lurker" here for quite some time. I was dx'd about 8 months ago (although symptoms started 15+ years ago) with SLE and have been doing well on plaquenil. I have, however, failed naprosyn and clinoril for pain. My rheumatologist just switched me over to vicodin. Just wondering how many others are on this?

Just curious.

This is a great place. Thanks for the information.

Michelle in CA
Michelle
im in here because im addicted to vicodin stop taking them now!
they are no fun to ditox from trust me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

Bryansmom HB User

dear pauly...I hear what you're saying. Just curious, though, what do you mean "I'm in here because I'm addicted ..."

Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
(male)

mattysoftball HB User

hi ,
if you take how it is prescribed you are okay. but if you have an addictive personality very easy to take more then prescribed. especially if you have any history of alcohol or drug addiction in past. good luck and you are not alone there is no need to be in pain in today's society

Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
(male)

Fibbles HB User

Stop by the Pain Management section - there's a lot of people on it there

With addiction, it possible to get addicted to just about anything

Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #6

Sun_Shine HB User

Hi Bryan's Mom, I use a combo of Naproxen & Vicodin. I tend to stick with the Naproxen during the day & only use Vicodin when my pain levels get too high usually in the evenings. Even with managing both medications my body is not without pain but, with the medication it becomes more manageable and I can more withstand it. For me vicodin take's the "edge" of the pain away but, it's not something I use everyday unless I'm having a very bad flare. Of course all people are different & working with your doctor during starting a new drug is important.

There were some good words of advice posted before me. Just be careful, take care of yourself & use caution especially if you find yourself often needing to go beyond the recommended dosage. Again talking with your doctor about any concerns & changes will be key.

Hope that helps & good luck to you!

Last edited by Sun_Shine; 12-14-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

Bryansmom HB User

Thanks for the responses

I guess my question was more specifically how many are on vicodin for lupus related pain?

It seemed like an odd choice for my rheumatologist to go to...just curious. The problem I've been having with the other NSAIDS is "breakthrough" pain...pain that comes back way before it's time to take my next dose. Then I'm stuck in terrible pain sometimes and am unable to take anything else for it. That's a terrible feeling. I am very careful about taking things as directed and don't need or desire to take anything unless I have to. Any thoughts are appriciated

Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
(female)

oeee HB User

I have been given vicodin for lupus related pain. It made me laugh really hard all the time- it was kind of fun- but my memory didn't work at all when I was taking it. Plus, although it made me high, it didn't really kill the pain. I am now on lyrica for the pain...it works better....darvocet didn't kill the pain...but it was def. better than vicodin. Plus, I sliced halfway through my finger on vicodin and didn't feel it...i thought i was cutting cheese, but really it was my finger....be careful not to hurt yourself on it...it is very easy to burn your hands or cut them since your senses are dulled. What kind of pain are you experiencing?...my pain is sharp in my joints and i have a burning sensation all over my body. If you are experiencing burning or nerve pain...i would look into lyrica. Nsaids help some people- I have tried all of them- no relief....prednisone is the best bet. Actually, i do take one nsaid...lodine...and it does help a little. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
(female)

cherylynn1964 HB User

I am on Vicodin, and praise God that it exists. I am lucky as far as it does not make me feel high. It does however alleviate the severity of the pain I have. There are many days, I just grin and bear it, but when it gets real brutal, or if I am working at a school where I have to climb stairs, I take it as prescribed...Two every three hours. It definitely gets me through the day, and when I take them, I often enjoy my day a bit more. It's true that in this day, no one should have to suffer. So, experiment with the different pain meds out there, if one doesn't give you relief, then ask for a different one. Eventually, you will find the one which works best for you. Good luck...
C

Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
(female)

KileyGirl HB User

Hi there-
Yes, I mainly use it for endometriosis pain and find that once some of the pain has lifted, I get some more energy.
It's not an anti-inflammatory and doesn't help much for my painful joints,costochondritis, pleurisy, etc. There's also VicoProfen if you don't do well on acetominophen; it contains Ibuprofen which is an anti-inflammatory!

For some strange reason I DO become very organized and get the need to clean when I take it sometimes. Bizarre, but not all bad... But, maybe don't take the whole pill at first.?? I started on 1/4 and worked my way up so I wasn't TOO loopy.

I've been on it for about 10 years and still ONLY take 1/2 pill at a time and only when neccessary, so I don't think I'm addicted.

Have you tried Plaquenil? That has helped many with pain, including me. However, it seemed to make my endo. worse, so I quit that.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you!
Kiley

Last edited by KileyGirl; 12-30-2005 at 09:38 PM.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
(female)

SassySingleMa HB User

I am on Percoset and was on Oxycotin, but stopped taking that.

Closed Thread