It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Francie723 HB User
I don't have lupus now????

I had a question for anyone who would like to help. I was diagnosed with lupus in May 2001, have had flareups and all. I went to the doctor last month and my ana and anti-ana (dna???) came back negative. Completely negative. My doctor said to be happy, but I was angry and confused! Am I cured? Do I have to restrict myself like before? What does this mean? were all questions that ran through my head and now I am as confused as before. This is a hard enough disease to begin with, now I am told I am not testing for it. Huh? If anyone has any advice or has dealt with this, I would be more then grateful. Thank you!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: I don't have lupus now????

Dear Francie, Hi. I'm just a patient like the others in this group. But it's my understanding (based on reading, especially Dr. Wallace's book on lupus) that anti-DNA values reflect disease activity; so when you are not in a flare, it's actually expected that the value would go way down. But it's also my understanding that this *doesn't* mean you no longer have lupus...

In other words, you should still be treated and monitored closely, on a regular basis---watched like a hawk, is my sense.

FYI, I was positive ONLY for anti-Ro; and five years out, my rheumie still demands check-ups every 4 months (down from every 3). I'm on a maintenance dose of Plaquenil. And all this WITHOUT major organ involvement... And WITHOUT anti-ds-DNA, which apparently gravitates to kidneys more than the other "anti's". AND he does full bloodwork & urine testing minimally every other visit & extra tests if he thinks I look "punk" (I'm prone to anemia).

Maybe your dr. was just trying to convey that you've responded well to treatment? Which WOULD be very good news, actually.

I hope others will chip in soon, so you'll get more input from people whose bloodwork has improved over time & treatment. Meanwhile, hang in there, OK?! Take good care, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread