It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Lightheaded off balance

hey, just posting this thread to see if anyone here knows if this dizzy, off balance, lightheaded feeling is more common with MS or Lupus? anybody know? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks. oh, and also keep in mind dizzyness/lightheadedness/off balance as a first symptom. because i believe vertigo as first symptom in MS is rare.

thanks
scott

Old 12-31-2005, 05:40 AM   #2
(female)

cherylynn1964 HB User
Re: Lightheaded off balance

I saw where there were zero replies to this post, and I thought I would at least offer up something. I have vertigo at times, but I used to be on meds for a chemical imbalance, and vertigo/dizziness was a symptom of that as well. Now, I am wondering if it wasn't just part of everything else that started happening to my body the last few years. I have a good doc, in as far as he reacted to my symptoms with action. However, he isn't real big on telling me what to expect with this illness. It's more like well, you have Lupus and this is just part of it. Or things may not get any better than they are now. Docs make me nervous and I never can think to ask the right questions, or when I do, I'm just told that's just something I have to deal with. I would imagine if I could just loosen my tongue...and say hey, "What can I expect? Is this part of Lupus is it something else...I might get more answers. Ask your doc if the vertigo is a symptom of Lupus. I am finding out a lot more things can occur that I had not been told or that I didn't read in the info pamphlets on this illness. I also had a rheumie for awhile, but with no insurance, I had to end that. Those guys are good, but cost a pretty penny. If finances are not a problem, you might consider going to one of those too. I hope you get some answers which will help you.
Take care
C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Scott, I don't know if vertigo tends to appear more in lupus than in MS... [sorry]

I had vertigo & claustrophobia many years before I got the more recognizable & obvious lupus-things like rashes, joint pain & swelling, neuro-like tingling, etc. It came as a total shock, as I'd been a good traveller as far back as early childhood. And I'd never been prone to irrational fear over heights, flying, glass-enclosed elevators, etc.

FYI, one of the "sticky posts", the one with Dr. Hughes's "alternative criteria", describes this sort of thing pretty well.

For what this is worth... Best wishes to you, from Vee (Dx'ed with the SCLE subset, positive anti-Ro but negative ANA)

Old 01-07-2006, 02:58 AM   #4
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

Hi
I have never really been afraid of heights, always hiked, and had a very active life of skiing, and other outside activities, and I too travelled quite a bit, but I did find as my symptoms worsened I did form a sensitvity to heights, and no motion sickness, but a feeling that I wasn't set on the ground firmly. It could be, because I fell quite a bit, with no provocation at all. I also developed inner ear problems when I flared, and it increased my vertigo, and lightheadedness.I think our senses become overactive and over-reactive, I really dont like tight spaces anymore, or constricting clothes. I have met several ppl in my Lupus group, that experience the same thing, and heaviness in the feet when walking. Not a doctor, just info in my head.
Have nice day!
Flee

Old 01-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I also get the dizzy lightheaded feeling and I also have a problem with heights (which I did not when I was young). I can't lay flat because it causes nausea and dizziness and I can't stand tight or constricting clothes. How very interesting that some of us share these very same things.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

Just to say yes I too get lightheaded, but I have never thought it had anything to do with my SLE. I get like this if I have a slightly stiff neck or it can come on with sore muscles in the neck and shoulders the same as caused by fibro. Also when I get a bit agitated or nervous this happens.

As I always say, make sure what is definitely causing it, as thinking it might be lupus or ms in origin might cloud over the real reason for it. Any type of neck pain or even anxiety tends to cause this to happen too. I am only exploring some of the causes here as a way of helping you to come to solution maybe. You must make sure you explore all avenues so that the reason behind it can be looked into properly.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-08-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

bellaluna HB User

I also suffer from Vertigo. I've had it to the point of where I will have to sit myself down in the middle of the floor and crawl to the bathroom to vomit I've noticed as well, what goldenwings mentioned, that this usually will happen after the onset of a stiff neck and shoulders, or any kind of stressful situation as well. BUT I will also get it out of nowhere sometimes as well.

I don't have a Lupus dx yet, and I've not suffered from Vertigo until about 6 months ago. I also cannot stand tight, closed in areas or constricting clothes, I am afraid of heights, I cannot stand loud noise (and everything always seems really loud to me). Funny how all of this seems related, but I have to agree with goldenwings, make sure you know for sure that these issues are not being caused by other things.

Izabelle

Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

When I was born I had high and low end hearing, so in other words I heard everything, and had to sleep with white noise or a kind of Muzac machine, if the songs had words I would wake myself up singing my favorites, anyhoo, but for the last ten years my hypersensitivty to the sun and sound have increased dramatically. I also have lots of ear pain and swelling, I know that aquanegra,(if I am referring to a wrong post sorry) sometimes has ear problems similar to mine, and I never know what will bring them on. I know that my prednisone and plaquenil did not help it, but it would stop the contant ringing I get during a flare. On the subject of tight clothes or constricting clothes. I did not know if many lupus ppl had this or it was just those with raynauds as well due to the constrictiing of our vessels, even hair on my arm feels uncomfortable. Thought I would just throw that in because its just so annoying at time, I have looked so bizarre at times, with donning flowing clothes, earmuffs, and shades, and compression gloves for hand pain. Do you wonder if those ppl thought to be eccentric hermits are just lupus ppl? Does anyone have problems parking straight, or rather having to re adjust from parking crooked?
Felicia

Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
(female)

rojo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco24
hey, just posting this thread to see if anyone here knows if this dizzy, off balance, lightheaded feeling is more common with MS or Lupus? anybody know? any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks. oh, and also keep in mind dizzyness/lightheadedness/off balance as a first symptom. because i believe vertigo as first symptom in MS is rare.

thanks
scott
Hi I'm new here and I just noticed your question. I have RRMS! And this "lightheaded, dizzy, off balance" describes me perfectly. I have had lupus for 20 years now and never had I experienced any of these symptoms until I got MS in 2000. I must be a rarity among those with MS because it hit me so hard, one day I was normal (lupus normal anyway) and the next day I was NOT!!! I had the cronic vomiting along with a steady headache and after many misdiagnosis three months later after an MRI they diagnosed me with RRMS. I belong to the MSWorld Message board and so far I have not seen anybody on there whos symptoms, when first diagnosed, were like mine. So if you are having these symptoms maybe you can have further testing. I hope I've helped somewhat, good luck!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Exclamation Re: Lightheaded off balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco24

thanks
scott
Hi Scott,

I have Meneire's Disease, which is common in autoimmune diseases. I have roaring and/or ringing in my ears most of the time, a fullness feeling in my ears, some hearing loss, eardrums that aren't very flexible, so they say, and vertigo and nausea, which are the two most debilitating parts of it. I have very bad balance. Let me add that vertigo is different from dizzyness and lightheadedness, which I also have. Vertigo is more a sensation that you are spinning in space or that the room is spinning around you. It's hard to tell which end is up.

The dizziness and lightheadedness I get are usually attributable to a potassium deficiency, fever from an oncoming flare, hypoglycemia, or that monthly thing you don't have to worry about, lol.

Neither vertigo, dizziness, nor lightheadness were my first symptoms of my lupus. As is usual, fatigue , the rashes, and low-grade fevers were the first real signs.

Just my two cents,
Susan

Last edited by handmade_n; 01-11-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

thanks guys i really appreciate it. hope everybody is doing well.

i guess my question is what causes the lightheaded off balance feeling in Lupus? anybody know? is it the antibodies? i know in MS its lesions i guess, but what about lupus?

scott

Last edited by Sco24; 01-13-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #12
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Post Re: Lightheaded off balance

Just two more cents worth... do you have CNS lupus? Is it affecting your central nervous system? (Headaches, memory loss, concentration problems, personality changes, etc along with the dizziness... I have it all.)

If so, I would then attribute it to the inflammation in the CNS.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello There,

I think overall what has come out of this interesting topic is that having bouts of being light headed in itself would not come under the umbrella of being part of the diagnostic criteria for lupus. It could be brought on by having CNS lupus as has already been mentioned. Having APS causes problems with the blood supply, and so for the light headed symptoms to present, there will most definitely be an underlying reason. If you actually went to the rheumatologist and said about being LH, I don't think he would put this down as a definite symptom of having lupus.

Hope this helps.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-14-2006 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread