It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

Aquiel HB User
Lupus and birth control and pregency

When I first got diagnosed with Lupus and Dermatomyositis, I was warned that with the meds im on, getting pregent wasn't a good idea. Almost every rhuemy visit Ive been to since I've been reminded that concieving was a no-no. Ive also been told the taking the birth control pill isn't ideal for someone with lupus and the meds.

I've read the warnings on my meds.... Prednisome, Iruman and PLaquinel (sp?), and all basically say "dont take if you may be pregent or are trying to get pregent"

So, my question to you is how does one "safely" concieve or safely NOT convieve.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
(female)

clogan1974 HB User
Re: Lupus and birth control and pregency

I succesfully went through two pregnancies. I have 20 month old and 6 month old. You may want to consult a prerintologist (sp?) high risk baby doctor and or discuss in depth with your rheumy your want to have a baby. And find out what your options are. I personally was told by both my docs it was ok to take my prednisone and plaquinille (or maybe it was the immuran) Anyway, I made the decison to not take any of my meds while pregnant, my docs knew about it, they of course were concerned, but supported my decision anyway. I was on my meds when I became pregnant with my first child, and had not began taking my meds again when my second was conceieved. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I stopped my medications. I'm not saying either way to take or not take your meds, it's a personal decsion based on your case. Getting as much information as possible is key i think. I do know being in remission is highly recommended.
hope that helps. Keep us posted, be well.

cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
(female)

Aquiel HB User

bump........

Old 01-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello There,

I have just been forwarded this piece of information, which is just 1 from 10 points which are very good news for lupus patients. This paper has come from The Lupus Foundation of America and is one out of the top ten list of advances for lupus:-

""A study involving women with inactive or stable lupus showed oral contraceptives containing estrogen did not increase the risk of additional disease flares, suggesting that some women with lupus might be able to use combined oral contraceptives"".

The keywords in this are "inactive" or "stable". Obviously this only pertains to the lupus part of it and would need to be discussed even more thoroughly now with your lupus doctor. The Lupus Foundation of America is such a good source of help and information to all of us lupus patients.

The medication you are on for other things might still make taking the pill a total no-no, but only a doctor can answer this for you. It is obviously the thing to do to discuss stopping the drugs we are on when we want to look into anything to do with pregnancy, but again this has to be done under doctor care and advice. No lay person can advise on this, nor should they.

I am only giving this information out as a lupus patient not in any medical way. Hope this is of some use to you.

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

SassySingleMa HB User

I've had two pregnancies and although it wasn't the most fun 18 months of my life and I did have complications, I gave birth to two healthy beautiful babies!! I can't take Birth Control, but I'm lucky...I'm single and I can Abstain

Closed Thread