It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Chest pain

In addition to my many other wonderful and odd symptoms, I keep getting horrible pains on the lower left side of my rib cage randomly throughout the day and keeps me from being able to take more than really tiny breaths but it usually goes away after 5-10 minutes. Anyone have any ideas? The pain is very sharp and stabbing if I try to take a breath but I don't feel it when I'm not breathing or breathing small enough

Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

Bryansmom HB User
Re: Chest pain

dear Kelley;
sometimes pleuritis is a problem (inflamation of parts of the lungs). Have you told any of your drs about the pain? I had something like this recently and it went away with a round of prednisone. Talk to a dr., though.
Best wishes,
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Thanks, no I haven't talked to any of my doctors about it but will be sure to mention it when I go to see a rheumatologist soon. If it was pleuritis or whatnot would it just come and go like that? It seems odd to me that it would come only for minutes at a time..

Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

SassySingleMa HB User

I just had this come on too. They said it was Pleurisy and and infaction of the cartildge between my ribs and inflammation of the membraine around my heart.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Had you had a cough or cold lately? I've had this very bad pain too. I posted on the General Health board and someone suggested it might be 'chostocondritis' which is an inflammation of the 'spaces' between the ribs and very painful. I'm on Dorvocette for the pain and have seen a Chiropractor and had electrode treatment and moist heat applied. That helps some, but I tell you--the pain has been intense at times. What did your doctor prescribe for you to help with the pain?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #6
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Exclamation Re: Chest pain

I have costrochondritis. In the beginning, I thought I was having a heart attack or a gallbladder attack. After the doctor told me what it was, it made sense. (Seems like if there's an "itis" to be had, we lupies will get it.)

If you even lightly touch any area of my rib cage, front, side, or back, it's extremely painful. I've had to keep from turning around and whoopin' up on people when they unintentionally poke me, and I'm a very non-violent person, lol! It hurts when I breathe deeply and when I try to lay on my side or stomach. It tends to come in flares, although not necessarily when I feel generally worse, but there is always some degree of tenderness to the touch on my rib cage. Some days I can even feel swelling between my ribs.

Anytime I have a cold or flu or even asthma symptoms, the costrochondritis will flare up. I assume it's because of the workout my rib cage gets with coughing or vomiting.

As far as treatment, a shot of cortisone when the pain is really bad can help, but generally, I just amp up my Darvocet and ibuprofen, and sometimes increase my oral steroids. Moist heat and/or muscle rubs can take the edge off, too.

Hope you find your answer soon!

Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

I'm sorry about your costrochondritis, I've noticed a lot latedly that my rib cage is, well, not extremely painful but definitely tender. I find myself poking it often in confusion cuz it feels the way a bruise might..very confusing. My boughts of pain in my left lung have been coming more often but the longest it lasts is a few minutes, sometimes I'll only have one or two sharp and awful jabs then I will be fine... I will be going in to see my doctor again soon hopefully because I have been feeling so bad that I keep missing school- constant fever and even worse abdominal cramps and diaorrhea (in addition to the usual muscle cramps and extreme fatigue).

Old 01-17-2006, 01:17 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i get a stabbing sort of pain in my lung just below my left breast sometimes for 1 minute to two hours, its becuase i have a thin place on my lung that somtimes rubs against my rib cage, i dont know what its called but its a kind-of-rare disorder, and its not dnagerous, you may (or may not) have the same problem

Closed Thread