It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User
Should I take this medication?

Hi all

I wrote about a week ago. Just asking how you get diagnosed for Lupus etc. I have read more into it more and know a bit more about it now.

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I have been to see the consultant. I told her all about my sisters condition and they have booked me in for another scan in 2 weeks at 28 weeks just to make sure Izzy is growing properly. The consultant also gave me Aspirin BP to take one tablet a day for 6 weeks 'just incase'. I get my bloods back in 6 weeks and will find out if I have Hughes Syndrome or not, but I really don't want to take the tablets they have given me.

I may be being stupid but everything has been fine so far and i haven't noticed any symptoms of Lupus although it's hard as most of the symptoms are the same as pregnancy...

I know that at the end of the day it is my decision, but I would really like some opinions?

Old 01-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
(female)

clogan1974 HB User
Re: Should I take this medication?

Have you discussed with your doctors the possible side effects, if any, of the medication they gave you? I"m assume the BP means bloodpressure? I know during pregnancy, especially with Lupus patients, one can get high blood pressure and that needs to be monitored closely. My sister in law has high BP and not lupus and took her bloodpressure medicatiosn during her pregnancy and my nephew is fine. I was pregnant right along with my sister in law also and had questions whether or not to take my Lupus meds. You are right, in the end, it is your decision. I would talk to the doctors, let them know your concerns and fears, that's what they are there for. If you feel you cant approach the doctor you have, fine one you can. You are a little more than half way there, so it is important to feel comfortable with the docs you have.
Hope this helps. I went through two pregnancies, my kids are now 20 months and 6 months. I hope you are doing well and the pregnancy is going well also. Congratualtions! Feel free to contact me anytime.

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

I have had high blood pressure since I was 17,I am now 34, I was thinking that in your inquiry you were taling about a the aspirin as a blood thinner for Hughes syndrome. I do not have hughes syndrome. but my father does. I think it is just a preimptive measure on your doctors part, seeing that you will know for sure in two weeks. In pregnancy it seems as though there are safe cut-off dates for medicines that wont interfere with the delivery of your baby. If you are unsure share concerns with other doctors and sights such as theses , so you can get a well rounded information, there not that many books on per se on Lupus and pregnancy, but there are quite a few journal entries in webmed, and American journals of Medicine, just have to search. I am 29 weeks pregnant, and at the start of a flare, so they put me on steroids(prednisone step down) for a few weeks to calm my symptoms. I wishj you all the best with your pregnancy, and I pray for you and your family as well. Stay strong and learn more, im not doctor, but I have had 3 (13, 10, and 8) healthy children, and this is my fourth on the way with a rather wide gap, its like starting from scratch. Oy !

Hiope all turns out well! If you were talking about blood pressure I have many years of dealing with that and pregnancies as well.
Felicia
Lupus(MCTD) raynauds phenomenon, sjorgen syndrom, Chronic hypertension

Last edited by Administrator; 03-21-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User

Hi

Thank you both!! I was talking about it in relation to hughes as my blood pressure has been monitored from the beginning and it's been fine... I think I will talk to my doctor a bit more, i didn't really think about it when they gave me the presciption for these tablets there was so much to take in.

Well I wish you both well with your pregnancy and thank you again!!!!!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

clogan1974 HB User

one more thing Teardrop,

make sure that all your doc's "cc" each other about appointments, labs and or changes in medications so they are all on the same page as you go through your pregnancy. This way they all know with out questions who is monitoring what. Hope that makes sense.
Again, good luck and all the best!

Cindy

Closed Thread