It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #1

missy19 HB User
Could I possibly have Lupus?

Hi
I was just wondering if you all could help me out with some of the symptoms I've been having.

1. Nausea
2. Cluster headaches (pain in temples,back of head and front)
3. Numbness in left hand fingers.
4. Dizziness ( feel like passing out or close to it)
5. aching pain all over my body (not always at the same time)
6. Chest pain (sometimes with shortness of breath)
7. hot flashes
8. twitching muscles or nerves
9. bad shooting pains in lower left back area that shoots up to my neck. (hurts worse when I breathe)
10. extremely tired ( can barely get out of bed/ if I didn't have children, I would stay in bed)
11. pain in joints ( any joints)
12. tingling legs and feet
13. blister-like rash on chest and arms from sun exposure

Can anyone tell me if these symptoms are associated with Lupus? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by missy19; 01-04-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 PM   #2

missy19 HB User
Re: Could I possibly have Lupus?

Is Anyone there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Missy,

Recommended reading: There are 4 or so "sticky posts" at the front of the Board that give basic info on lupus & APS (a clotting disorder common in lupus); plus there are hardcovers in most bookstores & libraries, really thorough ones being one by Dr. Daniel Wallace and several by Dr. Robert Lahita.

My sense is that your symptoms could be seen in lupus but probably also in other diseases & syndromes (NOT that I have any medical training---I'm just a patient).

There are several skin rashes, however, that are unique to lupus. They show certain cell border changes when viewed under a microscope & show certain types of immune "junk" when subjected to various pathology tests. The main rashes are as follows. (1) The butterfly (malar) rash is the facial rash seen in systemic lupus (SLE). (2) In the subacute cutaneous subset (SCLE), two rashes are possible. One is annular (circular) & nonscarring, and the other is psoriaform (looks a bit like psoriasis but isn't). (3) In the discoid (DLE) subset, a scarring, depigmenting rash that causes follicular plugging is seen.

There are a couple of other less common lupus rashes, I think... I can remember one = bullous, which is large raised, watery & blistery.

Anyway, I had most of what you listed, too, plus chronic anemia, GI problems, and urinary problems (stones & UTI's). BUT I never had any problems with major organs, so my bloodwork looked pretty good (except for the anemia) and my kidney function was fine. The rashes I got for many years were always on my torso & arms, and I think my local docs were instead looking for the malar facial rash associated with SLE. Those rashes were ultimately Dx'ed as the annular SCLE rash, SCLE being the intermediate form of lupus, related to but not identical to SLE.

I'm still boggled that it took me so long to get an answer, but I understand from reading books, articles & the Board here that getting a Dx can be a real trial, especially when you have something short of full-blown SLE. I don't think my local docs had ever seen the type of the SCLE "subset" that I have: positive for anti-Ro (and that took many years to turn positive) but negative for ANA. The moral of that being that sometimes you need a rheumie &/or dermie practice (like a teaching hospital practice) that sees many forms of lupus, in its wide, wide variety.

Anyway... Have you seen a rheumie? A dermie? Had bloodwork done, incl. full testing for ANA & the various autoantibodies seen in lupus, RA, etc? Had a really thorough lifetime medical history taken?

Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #4

missy19 HB User

No, I haven't seen anyone about these symptoms yet. I have an oppointment with my doctor for a 6-week checkup fpr my baby and I, so I guess I'll mention the symptoms to him then. That is if I can wait that long. I've been feeling really crappy lately. Should I ask him to do tests for lupus on me? I'm kind of scared to so that. I was just thinking that I would write all my symptoms down( I forget easily) and show him that. I guess I'm just worried that he'll think that it's all in my head or it's because of the stress of being a mother.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

darkwater HB User

Missy, not to alarm you, but it is a pretty common occurence that a woman will get her initial diagnosis of lupus just after a pregnancy. I guess it's that pregnancy stresses the body in some very unique ways and with the hormonal changes that occur and that change the body's biochemistry, then suddenly end once you give birth, something that was lurking in there, like lupus, will then assert itself. Plus, lupus typically strikes women in the middle of their childbearing years. I don't know if you actually have lupus, but sounds like you have something, and I hope you get to the bottom of it, especially since you have a new little one. Bless you.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #6

missy19 HB User

Thanks for the info and caring. It actually freaks me out a little. I can barely eat. I hope that I can get down to the bottom of it soon.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #7

missy19 HB User

Well,
I have an oppointment with a doctor tomorrow. I'm not sure exactly what to tell him. I know that I should tell him the symptoms I am having, but should I ask for a test for Lupus?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #8

missy19 HB User

My oppointment is today. I am feeling a little better today. I don't know what to think. If I have Lupus or something else. I wrote down all the symptoms I have been feeling over the last couple of weeks because I forget easily. I'll just give the note to him. Is that a good idea? Would it look like I'm making it all up? I'm always worried that people won't take me seriously. My financee doesn't even take me seriously, but I hope the doctor does. All this is freaking me out.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #9

missy19 HB User

Well I went to my oppointment today and the doctor had blood work done on me. He said he would call me if theres something wrong. I hate when they say that they'll call you if there's something wrong and not otherwise. What if they simply forget to call you? Anyways, he's testing for a couple of things like with red and white blood cells and liver something. I don't know. I didn't ask him about Lupus or anything. I just told him all of my symptoms.So basically I have to wait until Monday to get a call or not get a call. I just hope the weekend goes by quickly so I can find out what's wrong with me. Does any of you ever get that feeling like you think you're dying because you feel so horrible? I feel like that sometimes. I've been having cramps in my stomach, chest pain and shortness of breath today. It seems to come and go. I just wish it would go and stay away. Oh, another thing, the doctor was just checking me out ( normal routine) and he had me lay down so he could feel my stomach. When he pushed down on my stomach in middle, just a little below the ribcage, it really hurt. I don't know what that would be though. I said he wanted to make sure my prancreas was okay ( with the blood test I guess). I really don't want to wait till Monday. I'm getting sick of being sick.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:57 AM   #10
(female)

suziewong HB User

Hi just read your post don't know if you have found anything out yet please let us know as soon as you do good luck.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #11

ChocolateGirl25 HB User

I wondered what ever happened to Missy! I am in the same boat and would really like to know what the Dr. said.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
I am new to this board and would love to hear from anyone:
I was diagnosed with RA 2 1/2 years ago, this has progressed rapidly and
is very severe. I take Humeria injections weekly along with methotrexate.
In the last few months my middle finger on my left hand turns black for no reason, this lasts for a day or two then goes away. I also get rashes on my
stomach or leg. I talked to the Doctor and was told it was vasulitis and not to worry. I am always in a great deal of pain and would love to know if this could be lupus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Deb

Closed Thread