It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

bellaluna HB User
Newbie to say Hi!

Thought I would introduce myself since I'm new to Healthboards. My name is Izabelle and I'm in the process of researching some different autoimmunities. I've been dx'd with MCTD, yet have always felt that it possibly is Lupus. My doctor and I recently have been discussing the possibility of me having APS.

I've found some different support forums, lurked a bit here and there. My nurse at my clinic recommended Healthboards.com to me, and I'm very glad. Looks like a one stop shop!

Nice to meet all of you.

Izabelle

Old 01-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Newbie to say Hi!

Dear Izabelle,

Just wanted to say hi & welcome. Take care, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Izabelle and welcome to the boards. If you need info, this is a good place to start.

Glojer

Old 01-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

message has been deleted

Last edited by life_is_good; 01-07-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

bellaluna HB User

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone I'm curious to know, do most people with Lupus have the Malar rash? I have never seem to have this, although I'm constantly getting different rashes and other symptoms. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, I was told that I had Lupus, but I was also told that I had "sticky blood". My rhuemy dx'd me as MCTD. It's frustrating having such a "vague" term as a diagnosis. Any insight from anyone?

life_is_good, your message was deleted so I couldn't reply Nice to meet you anyway, hope to chat with you sometime.

Izabelle

Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Izabelle, Hi. I checked my hardcover (by Dr. Daniel Wallace) to see what stats he provides on how many people with SLE get a malar rash. His figure: about 35% of people with SYSTEMIC lupus or with DISCOID lupus report having it AT SOME TIME. Meaning not everyone gets it & that it doesn't have to happen "in the beginning", I think.

And, as I learned the hard way, you can have a form of lupus other than "systemic" (SLE). There are "subsets":
(1) discoid (DLE) is the mildest, and the rash typically associated with it tends to scar, depigment, and possibly cause hair loss;
(2) subacute cutaneous (SCLE) is the intermediate form of lupus; and two rashes are often seen in it. One is annular (circular), often starting as welt-like raised bumps, then over time the welts expand outwards into circles. The other looks like psoriasis but isn't. Neither tend to scar or depigment, and neither tends to itch.
(3) drug-induced (DILE); and
(4) neo-natal, wherein autoantibodies are passed through the placenta to an infant.

I *think* I've read that lupus rashes look fairly alike under the microscope, in that cell border changes are detected in all. But, alas, the "subset" can't really be determined via biopsy. The "subset" (would be determined by your range & severity of symptoms, your lab tests, how many of the "4 of 11" criteria you've met, etc.

Also, rashes can cross subsets. For example, someone with SLE is apt to get the malar rash if she gets any rash at all---but is also "eligible" for the other rashes, too (discoid, SCLE, etc.)

I'm a good example of the above statement. I have SCLE & had years of recurrent annular (circular) rashes---and one lousy "discoid" scarring lesion smack on my nose.

I hope the above begins to acquaint you with lupus rashes a bit. The Dr. Wallace hardcover contains good info & I think Dr. Lahita's hardcovers do, too. You could find these books in most libraries or even sneak a peek in a bookstore. Best wishes, Vee

Old 01-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
(female)

bellaluna HB User

Thank you Vee! I recently purchased Dr. Lahita's Women and Autoimmune Disease and enjoyed the information in it. I sometimes feel like I fit into every catergory there is though, which I know I'm not the only one that tends to feel this way. LOL!

I usually itch everywhere, all of the time and it's excruciating and I will get these little bumps/welt-like areas of skin, but they only last for a bit.

I will have to find these other books you've mentioned and read more about Lupus. I'm not sure what I have anymore

Izabelle

Old 01-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there Izabelle,

Just to say welcome and to let you know tht you have come to such a good place here for help and understanding. I hope to hear more from you in time.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-08-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Closed Thread