HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lupus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/)
-   -   Hypertension-Lupus connection (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/355668-hypertension-lupus-connection.html)

handmade_n 01-10-2006 01:04 AM

Hypertension-Lupus connection?

Hi there. I've been reading this board for hours :yawn: and it's my turn to ask a question :bouncing: instead of answering them, lol. My lupus affects my brain/CNS, skin, and joints, and I have fibromyalgia and APS, among other things.

Today's question is... Is there any documentation regarding uncontrolled (or controlled, for that matter) hypertension being related to Lupus?

My blood pressure has raged out of control for several years regardless of what meds they put me on. I'm on 2 b/p meds now and HCTZ (a diuretic) and my b/p still is way too high. I've never had any indication of kidney disease, but at this last visit, the rheumy said that the blood pressure was an indication at least some kidney damage from the lupus. :eek:

For some idiotic reason, I felt compelled to act unaffected by this (stupid) and didn't ask any further questions. I think I just couldn't think of what to ask first, so I didn't ask anything, lol. :rolleyes: They took oodles of blood and I have a follow-up appointment on Thursday (I think...*runs to check calendar*), so I'd like to get some feedback before then, if possible.

So, have any of you read or been told that your blood pressure is wacky due to kidney damage related to Lupus? Or any kidney activity from Lupus? :confused:

Thanks! :wave:
(p.s. Sorry for using so many emoticons, but they're just so CUTE!) :jester:

KileyGirl 01-22-2006 07:42 PM

Re: Hypertension-Lupus connection

Hi-
I, thankfully, don't have kidney involvement but wanted to bump this post up so it doesn't get buried...good question.

My BP is often mildly elevated but my Dr.s don't seem overly concerned (at stress test it was 150/102).?? Not sure when they consider it a serious problem.
However, I know that BP can be an important measure of your kidney function and you should definitely monitor it closely. I do know lupies w/ kidney involvement who have consistantly high BP, but you never know; your hypertension may NOT necessarily be a complication of lupus.

Sorry I am of no help but I hope your recent appt. answered these important questions and that other members here will share their experiences.

Take care, Kiley

handmade_n 01-23-2006 05:18 AM

Kiley,

That is so sweet to post just to keep this current. I love that! Almost made me cry in my little orphaned post. :D

My blood pressure has been high since my early twenties, but it was controlled. Now it is way out of control and gets up to 225/123! Even with the 3 meds, it's still not controlled. :confused:

I will have to remember (that's a feat in itself!) to ask the rheumy next time for more information on that. And I'll do some web research when I get a chance.

Thanks so much for answering! :wave:

VeeJ 01-23-2006 05:49 AM

Dear handmade_n, Another thought: are any of the MEDS you take known to increase BP in some people? Just wondering... Bye for now, with best wishes, Vee

handmade_n 01-23-2006 05:54 AM

VeeJ, that's a valid point, but we've already eliminated that as a cause.
Thanks!

darkwater 01-23-2006 09:14 AM

Hi, there. Gosh, you have a lot of organs involved with lupus. Bless you. What are the two blood pressure meds you are on, besides the diuretic? The only things I can think of off-hand that keep one's blood pressure elevated and hard to control are 1) kidney damage/disease, 2) diabetes (which can cause #1), 3) cardiovascular disease (ditto), and 4) heart failure. How are you looking for all this stuff?

There is definitely a connection between hypertension and kidney problems brought on by lupus.

I have lupus with kidney involvement. Funny, I always had blood pressure at the lower end of the normal range at all my checkups in recent years until all this mess started happening. I don't have high blood pressure now, but according to my doctor, I would if I would not on certain medications. Since I have some moderate kidney damage, my rheumy put me on an ace inhibitor to guard against high blood pressure. Ace inhibitors promote salt and fluid elimination from the body and help blood vessels to stay relaxed, less rigid, and more open, all of which promote lower blood pressure. Also, I am on a statin drug to keep my cholesterol levels down.

As I understand it, there are a couple of things that would cause me to have high blood pressure. First, there's the kidney damage itself. That's a double-whammy because kidney damage causes high blood pressure due to the increased volume of blood because the proper amount of fluid isn't being drawn out of the bloodstream by the damaged kidneys, which in turn causes further kidney damage if untreated, which causes worse high blood pressure and 'round and 'round we go. Second, anyone who takes steroids for an extended period of time runs the risk of increased cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels. This raises blood pressure in two ways. The cholesterol collects in the vessels making them smaller and giving the blood a smaller space to flow through. Up goes the pressure. The increased concentration of sugars in the blood make it hold onto fluids in an attempt to balance out this concentration, which takes the volume of blood way up. Up goes your pressure.

I am trying to get my life situated to switch to Cellcept instead of the prednisone to keep my kidneys doing well. What is holding me back is that I want to attempt a pregnancy first. It is startling to realize that at 37, I am considered of "advanced maternal age" and that I should have had a child, like, the day before yesterday, lol. I am about to be married, so we will immediately begin to try to get pregnant. Plus, prednisone is deemed safe for use during pregnancy, while Cellcept is not, so if I have to have treatment for a flare during my pregnancy, prednisone is the best bet. So, I fight off the high blood pressure and other nice things with the drugs until I attempt to reproduce. I will have to go off the ace inhibitor and the statin before attempting to get pregnant as well as during the pregnancy itself. It is somewhat of a crap shoot, no garauantee that after risking this I will have a successful pregnancy, but que sera, sera.

jusbreatheOM 01-24-2006 02:48 AM

Well I think It is one of those show of hands things around here. Before I was pregnant I was on Five medications including a CattapressTT-3 patch. I have had HBP since high school(17yrs), and nothing has controlled it, holistically or medically. Maybe the body just has a problem regulating BP with an auoimmune disease, and all its constant quirks, of inflammation, pain, and poor filtering from time to time. This is just a ponder, a stretch, I have often wondered if I could control my lupus, would my BP be better or vice versa. Family history, Medication, or environmental???? Would love to know.
Anyhoo, good question!
Felicia