It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Desowen

My dermy gave me a corticosteroid called Desowen to help clear the red butterfly rash on my cheeks and nose, but within two hours of applying the lotion, it had the opposite effect and the redness increased significantly and along with it came a raging headache. Could this be a side effect of the medication? Or could it be an allergic reaction? Has anyone ever used this medication?

Last edited by life_is_good; 01-11-2006 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Desowen

Hi, "Life". I just looked up the drug info on DesOwen. Click the "Resources" tab above, then click the link for "MedLine Plus", then click the link for "Drug Information", then go into the "D's", then click "DesOwen".

Looks like this topical can indeed cause reddening, etc. in some people. You could cease for now & talk to your dr, right? Maybe there's some other ointment that causes fewer problems in fewer people you could try?

FYI, during the many years of rashes I had, before I was Dx'ed, I was given various topicals, with similar results. I had annular (circular) lesions on my arms & torso. Well, some of the oinments burned, some itched, and none worked to fade out the lesions. I gave up. But since your problem is facial, I know it matters more... GOOD LUCK! Sympathetically, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Thanks, Vee! I knew I could count on you for information. I'm going to check out that resource tab right now, I never noticed it before. Still learning how to navigate here, thanks again.

~sam~

Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Sam. I bet there's even more useful info hiding under those other tabs. Such a good design. I never tried it during my first several years here, either. If it had been a snake... ?

Good luck! Vee

Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Vee,
I took a look and saw that redness could be a side effect, but no mention of headaches. So I researched this drug a little further and found that CHILDREN do get headaches from this. I used the medication again this morning, just to see if it was a coincidence, and I got that headache again. So I'm going to discontinue the med and call my doctor to see if there's something else I can use. Thanks again for your help.

~sam~

Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

My dermatologist gave me samples of something to use for the redness. I have never tried it, but I will post back later today or tomorrow and let you know what it was. It was I think a two step process. I don't remember what it is called off the top of my head and the samples are two flights up (I live in a townhouse) so forgive me for waiting to post it later, but I will let you know what it is.

Glojer

Old 01-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Exclamation Re: Desowen

My dermatologist started simple and after prior years of stinging my face with "special" creams and lotions, it was such a relief. Every day twice a day, I wash my face with Cetaphil cleanser, and put Cetaphil lotion on at night. It is a very gentle, noncomedogenic (meaning doesn't cause zits!), and over the counter. I even use the Equate version of it. No redness or burning. It keeps the skin from drying out and less prone to the rash. I've even been told how nice my skin is, and I'm like, what??? I have the malar rash of lupus! Once in a while I need to put Desonide lotion on my face. This is prescription, but also very gentle and doesn't burn or anything for me.

On my other rashes (i.e. neck, legs, etc.). I use a small bit of betamethasone, which doesn't burn me either.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Handmade_n,
I have gentle cleansers. What I'm looking for is something to help take down some of the redness. When I'm in a flare, my face looks and feels like it can glow in the dark. It gets beat red, itchy, it's raised and it's VERY obvious. When I'm not flaring, my cheeks and nose are very pink. My husband says it looks like a healthy sunburn... but to me, it's a reminder of my lupus flares. I don't want to LOOK like I have lupus when I'm not flaring. Is there any other medication that can bring down the redness?

~sam~

Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Smile Re: Desowen

Then I'd give Desonide a try. When my lupus is active, I get just what you described, and though I don't think there's anything that will take it completely away, Desonide does a decent job.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Desonide and Desowen are the same product, which means I can't use it. I have to ask my dr. if there's anything else out there. Thanks.

~sam~

Old 01-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Sam

I have my sample and it is an OTC cream called Eucerin and it is a 4 step process. It has a cleanser and the moiturizer and concealer and then 'soothe and hydrate' at night. It is called Eucerin redness relief and explains how this cream has green pigments that neutralize red blotchy skin.

I obviously have not tried it since I couldn't remember what it was called, I cover my redness well enough during the day with make-up when I need to. My face usually lights up worse in the evening and in summer and I have used the same skin products for years and I like them very much so I did not give this a try. Perhaps in summer when I look worse.

Just wanted to offer you another suggestion. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Glojer

Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Thanks, Glojer. I will pick some up tomorrow and let you know how it works. I hate wearing makeup, so maybe this will do the trick.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #13
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Lightbulb Re: Desowen

Aha, didn't know they were the same thing as I'd never heard of Desowen. I learned something new, thanks! Hope you find some relief soon!

-Susan

Old 01-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
(female)

Kathie T. HB User

I used Desowen for two years. I absolutely loved it! Like in other steroids when I first apply it, there is a burning feeling wiht an increase in redness which then subsides within the hour. (The burning is sort of soothing). I swtiched to Ellidel because I was worried about the steroid thinning of the skin, vericose vein thing on the face. I hate Ellidel. It makes me itch worse. But I LOVED desowen. They don't have it where I am, but I might go back to it. A trick I found for the face and body is to mix these wonderful meds with some lotion. That way you can spread a thin film over a wide surface area. IN fact I'm pretty sure desowen is a steriod mixed with a moistureizer. Good luck!

Closed Thread