It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Question New hand pain/swelling = lupus progression?

Hi. I thought I was an "old hand" at lupus until recently, when my hands have begun to swell between the knuckles and hurt so badly! It makes it difficult to pick anything up or open jars or anything that takes hand strength. Also, some weeks ago, my right elbow swelled with redness and warmth, and my knees have pink, warm spots on the sides from time to time. This is all within the last two months or so.

Up to this point, my lupus had affected my larger joints (i.e. hip, shoulder, knees), my skin, and my CNS. About a month ago, I had labs done that were almost normal! And I've had very abnormal in the past (all the usual positive lupus tests).

Does this new development mean that my lupus is progressing? I never had any obvious swelling before, so this is new to me. I just can't get over how much my hands hurt. And then I went and twisted my ankle just for kicks, lol.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Question Re: New hand pain/swelling = lupus progression?

Does this mean nobody else has this kind of hand pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User
Re: New hand pain/swelling = lupus progression?

Hi
I have severe hand and feet swelling and it is horribly painful. I hope you get more replies, I had not replied because I was limiting my typing during a flares which I am smack in the middle of right now, and my prednisone is not helping at all. Hopefully Veej, Or Sun_shine will answer if they no more. I keep my hands out of the sun, and I put compression gloves on, sometimes it helps, somtimes. Sometimes flares are just more intense than others.
I really feel for you hang in there!
Felicia

Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Smile Re: New hand pain/swelling = lupus progression?

Feclicia,

I really appreciate your answering, more so because I know you really couldn't afford to. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

-Susan

Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi,
I am sorry you are feeling more pain.

My hands have always been the worst part of my joint pain. My fingers swell sometimes but hurt all of the time. On days when I am very busy by afternoon or evening, my hands are so bad that I tell my husband I would like to take them off and put them in the drawer. I take plaquenil, prednisone and methotrexate - my hands are getting worse so I just had an increase in the methotrexate.

I pray you find some relief. B.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
(female)

honeyshell HB User

Im really sorry, it sucks when new things star popping up, just when u thought you couldnt stand the ones you already have.but i started with my finger and toes then moved to bigger joints.... try to hang in, i hate to say it progressing. just another lupus preasant......tc MICHELLE

Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #7

LMHART HB User

Hi there,
Just a thought...have you ever been tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis? The "hot" joints sound like this could also be a problem for you. You need a new sed rate, RA factor, and CCP IGG antibody drawn (blood test). Even if you had them drawn in the past, it's best to get them drawn right now during a flare. Mine were negative for a year before they came back very positive. I have Lupus and RA - called Rhupus. We have another discussion going about this exact topic under APS. But, your symptoms sound exactly like mine and if you have RA too, you will need to adjust your meds. Call your rheumy asap! My pain feels like a bad toothache in my joints with hot coals burning the bone. They get so stiff you can barely make a fist or walk. It's terrible. Try warm compresses or showers in the meantime. Not too much else you can do at home. Please take care of yourself and get better! I know what you are going through!
Leslie

Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
(female)

lindajewel HB User

i have severe hand pain, i have had lupus 15 yrs. my prenisone is not working for me
this, i need to up the dose to 3omg. hate to do it . linda

Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

handmade_n HB User

Hmm, I never heard of rhupus until today. I think my RF has always been negative. Unfortunately, I am in the charity hospital system, so I can never get an appointment or call my doctor "right away" when I am in a flare.

Hopefully, when my medicare kicks in in august, I'll get better care. For now, I just have to dope up and live through it. My one hand/arm is wrapped up right now with a thermacare patch under it. I can barely use that hand, and the other one is complaining, too.

Thanks for all your answers. I'll keep you posted (when I can type more easily, lol).

-Susan

Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear hand_made_n, I've seen articles by medical writers discussing LUPUS VARIANTS. And there are literally dozens, it's mind-boggling. All I could think was, wow, it's a hard enough diagnostic row to plow with just "conventional lupus".

How are your hands doing? (I'm a shoulder/elbow person myself. )

Drizzling, damp, and a little gusty here today, which doesn't help either. Ugh. Good day to read and perhaps get back at the dog a bit. He's taken to pulling the bookmark out of any book that we've set down, carrying it behind the DR table, and chewing it to bits. As "bad dogs" go, this isn't really so bad, so we have to struggle NOT to laugh & encourage him any further.

Hope you are having a better weekend than you did week! Best wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 02-04-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
(female)

handmade_n HB User

Well, my hands still hurt, with swelling between the knuckles. Today, my doctor brought up methotrexate. I'm going to do a bit of research on others' experience with it over the next week or two.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Handmade N,

I have bad hands. I have been diagnosed with RA only, not Lupus (yet). I am just here reading - just in case. My puffs are between my knuckles on my hands. My other knuckles are flat and just hurt. My hands and arms get red spots on them, sometimes.

I am hoping that mine get a little better because the weather is warmer now. Maybe so, maybe not... I went to my rheumy last Fri. and she said that I was having a rampant case of RA. (Nothing about Lupus) She suggested I take either Methotrexate or Plaquenil. I just want something to stop my weight gain (giant) and pain! I am taking Skelaxin and tramadol and Prednisone. I just puffed up like a giant ball, in a matter of a couple of weeks!!! That is one of the reasons I am taking a new medicine.

My tests are normal at the moment. Take care and hope that yall feel bettter.

Wannabe

Can any of yall tell me how you were diagnosed with Lupus? What tests did they do? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello handmade,

I too was going to suggest maybe you have some type of arthritis going on. You definitely do need it looking at because of where the swelling is in your hands. Upping your medications might be the thing for the time being until you can more testing done.

Best of luck.

goldenwings

Old 03-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #14
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I used to have swelling in my hands. That's where my problems started. It wasn't my fingers at all at first. It was in the backs of my hands...like in between all the bones. Then it moved to my fingers and then to my shoulders and elbows. Now I have pain pretty much in all my joints...even in my lower back off to the sides (think it's the sacroiliac) and in my feet!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
(female)

handmade_n HB User
Thumbs up Re: New hand pain/swelling = lupus progression?

Hey,

I don't think I've ever had a CCP IGG done... mostly because I have no clue what it is. But my sed rate is always high and they ignore that, and my RA factor was always negative.

Unfortunately, I'm in the charity health system at the moment (will be on Medicare in August), so I can't get to the doctor when symptoms are happening. You describe them to a T, though.

Thanks so much for answering. I'll put these suggestions in my basket for August, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHART
Hi there,
Just a thought...have you ever been tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis? The "hot" joints sound like this could also be a problem for you. You need a new sed rate, RA factor, and CCP IGG antibody drawn (blood test). Even if you had them drawn in the past, it's best to get them drawn right now during a flare. Mine were negative for a year before they came back very positive. I have Lupus and RA - called Rhupus. We have another discussion going about this exact topic under APS. But, your symptoms sound exactly like mine and if you have RA too, you will need to adjust your meds. Call your rheumy asap! My pain feels like a bad toothache in my joints with hot coals burning the bone. They get so stiff you can barely make a fist or walk. It's terrible. Try warm compresses or showers in the meantime. Not too much else you can do at home. Please take care of yourself and get better! I know what you are going through!
Leslie

Closed Thread