It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

pambyboo HB User
Need support

I am so frustrated right now I could scream!! I've been seeing a rheumatologist for the past 1 1/2 years for cross-over between lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, to make a long story short, for the past ten years I've had +ANA and RA factors (although low titers), miscarriages, "villitis" in pregnancy with two IUGR babies, arthritis, malar rash, neutropenia, mouth ulcers, a DVT, low positive IGM antiphospholipid antibodies- I think that's about it. Anyway, my rheumy wants to start me on methotrexate, and I don't want to start it. So I go to the teaching hospital here, who tells me I just have lupus and APS, and that I don't need to start any other drugs. (I take Plaquenil). I go back to see my rheumy who says they don't know what they are talking about, that I do have RA too and I do need to start the metho. SO- I figure I'll go see the Mayo Clinic. BAD IDEA! I didn't like the doctor. She was very hurried, wouldn't let me speak, basically blew me off. Ended up telling me that I don't have lupus or RA, and I should be happy about that, that what I have at the most is UCTD. (Oh, and that I didn't need to start the methotrexate). She is basing this on the fact that my ANA and RA titers came back negative (great timing- that's only happened one other time in 10 years- I knew I should have gone when I felt crappy). Although my C4 level came back mildly low (for the first time), and my IGM was still a little high. Now, I've had 6 of the 4 defining characteristics of lupus over the past 10 years. I don't understand this crap anymore! I've basically decided that the doctors don't know crap. When I asked her about the 6 characteristics I've had, she just blew me off, and said that I didn't want to have lupus or RA, and I didn't want to be defined as that. WELL DUH! I just want a straight answer and to know what the hell is wrong with me. She told me to look into other areas of my life as the source of my fatigue- because after all "she was tired too". I wanted to slap her.
Guys- do any of your labs go back and forth? Should I accept the UCTD diagnosis? Should I start the methotrexate? (My rheumy wanted to start it because I was still having painful days more often than good ones). I just need someone to listen that understands. I guess I shouldn't have gone looking further than my local rheumy. He is a brilliant man, just hard to pin down for answers- but at least he listens to me.
Any info or help would be appreciated. I'm about at my wits end...about ready to just give up!
Pambyboo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread