It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

baseball HB User
clogged ear

hi everyone!

Hope all is well. I'm been sick with a head cold for about 10 days now. Now my ear is clogged and it's driving me nuts. I can't hear as well and it sounds like an echo sometimes. I was reading that sometimes clogged ears can be part of lupus.
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had this and what they did about it. I been on 875 mg of ammox something for 7 days.It's not helping.
Thanks LIZ!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

darkwater HB User
Re: clogged ear

Hi, Liz. Yes, clogged ears can be a symptom of lupus. I had them on and off up until this past fall, when they mysteriously went away. But it sounds like you may have a bad head cold that may have spread to your sinuses and ear canals, which is not uncommon. I guess antibiotics would be in order, though after seven days of taking them, you should have had relief after being on them maybe 2 or 3 days. Maybe it is just a lupus symptom and not an infection, and that is why it is not responding to the antibiotic.

These ear symptoms were one of the first things that went wrong with me all those months before I got diagnosed in early 2004. Mine started with some kind of scabby buildup in my ears, which of course I picked at to get it out, and that would make it turn all wet and gummy in there and get totally clogged, maybe for only a few hours, maybe for a couple of days. Totally annoying. You hear yourself talking REALLY loudly, yet can't stop it because you can't hear right. And my ears would be raw and sore feeling, so I would make an effort not to pick at them to let them heal. They would heal and my hearing would return, and then the crusty stuff would come back and I would start the cycle all over again. I had my boyfriend to look in my ears and tell me what he saw, all he said was that it was red and irritated-looking and had lots of little pimples. Doctor said nothing, gave me no meds at all, just said, "it's lupus".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

baseball HB User

thank you very much for responding. I'm very upset today! I feel like I don't even know who to call. My GP told me to call a EMT if I wanted to. Should I let it go and see if it gets better over the weekend?
I guess I feel bad because everytime I think maybe I don't have lupus something else comes up. Then I feel bad because I know a ton of people are alot worst off then me.

Bad day! Liz

Old 02-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Liz. My ears have also been weird all winter, prob. sinus congestion. But I think this is common in head colds, not necessarily lupus.

My external ear canals also get itchy & scaly. I thought I had "damp ears", maybe even a ton of wax or so (ugh!); but the ENT I saw last winter told me I have abnormally DRY ears. I have an Rx ointment I apply when they go off & it helps.

And I get sore bumps on the pinna sometimes. Just sleeping hurts.

If your ears are still feeling clogged, I'd go to the ENT in your shoes, esp. if your balance feels iffy.

Feel better fast! How are you doing otherwise? All my best, Vee

Old 02-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

baseball HB User

Thanks Vee! I was feeling great but until this head cold. I'm very tried and like I said my ear is dring me crazy. My Doctor said it was time to DX me with Lupus. He said lets call a spade a spade! I don't understand him because before he said he'd hold off on the DX and just call it postive ANA. I'm fine with not being DX because I was feeling fine,and don't wait to be DX unless we know for sure.

How are you doing? I hope well is well with you. Thanks again it's nice to know there is someone to talk to. When you're sick for a long time you start wondering if your family and friends really understand! I don't even tell people everything any more.

Thanks Liz

Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Liz. I hurt daily & can't seem to get good rest. But other than that, I'm OK. We were planning to hit the road tomorrow to visit my dad, who was up & down this week but as of tonight is (fortunately) back "up". We were mostly packed, then heard on the 5:00 news about a possible nor'easter. (Uh-oh!)

About your Dx and your dr. getting ready to make it: he's had you on meds, even without the formal Dx, hasn't he? It may actually be a relief to have a NAME for it all. For me, fearing I might be making it all up in my mind was worse for me than having OTHERS think I was making it all up in my mind---if you know what I mean... It's better for your medical records to be totally clear, too.

It IS easy to talk here, isn't it, as we often "get" each other so quickly. So stay in touch, OK? Good luck with your ear problem. And take good care, OK? Always, Vee

Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #7

diinin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanegra
I guess antibiotics would be in order, though after seven days of taking them, you should have had relief after being on them maybe 2 or 3 days. Maybe it is just a lupus symptom and not an infection, and that is why it is not responding to the antibiotic.
Just a note here. Remember that regular head colds are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Antibiotics don't work on viruses, so if an antibiotic doesn't work, it doesn't necessarily prove that the problem was lupus related. It could just mean that it was a virus causing it.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I'm going to jump in here and tell you my experience with clogged ears that took a long time to heal. It started with a cold, went to one ear, and then to the other. I ended up with permanent hearing loss in both ears - mild in one, and moderate in the other, as documented by a hearing test. Try to get this under control asap. If one antibiotic isn't working for you, perhaps another one will. I'm just trying to prevent you from going through what I did.

~sam~

Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
(female)

handmade_n HB User

I'm not sure.. has anyone mentioned Meniere's Disease to you?

I have it, and it is a form of autoimmune inner ear disease.

The main symptoms, best I can think of that I experience are:

Feeling of fullness in the ears
Vertigo (not dizziness, more a feeling of the room spinning or you spinning)
Nausea (sometimes even vomiting)
Progressive hearing loss by hearing tests
Sometimes earaches
Roaring, ringing in you ears, or other manifestations of tinnitus

There may be more, but I can't think of them right now.
The main treatments for me are a "hydrops" diet (mostly low sodium), meclizine, and steroids.

If this all feels familiar to you, then I recommend you go to an ENT.

HTH,
Susan

Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Lots of this sounds familiar to me. I thank you all for the information. My ears just stop up for no reason and I have the roaring noise in them and I can hear my own voice so loud but really can't hear anything else very well. I have just been ignoring it as much as possible because I had a sinus infection last fall and have attributed it to remmants of that.

I haven't gone to the doc about it, but have an appt. with my rhuemy on Tues. I will certainly mention it to him. If I have no response from him, when my husbands health crisis winds down, I will certainly pursue this issue.

It drives me crazy when it plugs up!!!! It may be something other than leftovers from sinus problelms.

Glojer

Old 02-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

Just my two cents worth here. I would definitely say that in the main having blocked ears as you have is not as a result of having lupus. This happens so much to people who don't have our dreaded illness. Head colds normally = sinus problems = blocked ear/s.

A simple but effective treatment I find is using a nasal decongestant - always check with the pharmacist for interaction with your other drugs - which could help clear the tubes connecting your ears to your throat which can cause dull hearing when they are blocked. Menthol vapour may also help. Add a few drops to a basin of hot (not boiling) water and breathe in through your nose. Also you can just use the water on its own as it is the steam that helps the blockages and not the products that are put into the water. Use your normal meds for the pain and discomfort.

As mentioned previously, antiobiotics do not work for a viral head cold and are not given by the medical profession. Obviously if you have any discharge or nasties coming out of your ears, then you must go and see your doctor, and then hopefully he would prescribe something for this.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-11-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #12
(female)

baseball HB User

Thank you everyone! I am going to call an ENT tomorrow. It is Sunday and my ear still feels the same. I am thinking it's because of my head cold.
Thank you very much, Liz

Closed Thread