It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
(female)

LKeeney70 HB User
Cool Just want a little info...

Hi everyone. I actually have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and that does mean I could be predisposed to other auto-immune disorders although hopefully not. I have had some very strange things going on and have fear I could have something more...or maybe it's just nothing. I read the sticky posts and noted that I did have 3 miscarriages in my past (but being hypo can cause that too). I have been claustrophobic since I was a teen. I have had itchy skin something fierce - on my lower legs mainly, almost forming to a rash. I have a strange rash on my right hand...little raised bumps and one scaly patch - it's mainly around my knuckles and only the right hand. This doesn't itch at all. On a side note, we do seem to have auto-immune disease in the family. My mother was just diagnosed Hypothyroid also and my son is being seen for possible alopecia...he's only 16. I seem to have some symptoms of Lupus...but these can also be symptoms of the Hypothyroid (Hashi's) that I am being treated for. (except the hand rash). Do I have any reason to bring this up to my endocrinologist, or is this in my head? I know Lupus has a rash associated with it...but I believe it is mainly a face rash? Is my hand rash any indication? It's not a dry skin rash - it won't go away no matter how much lotion I slather on and have had it for weeks. What are the indications of Lupus? I think out of everything, it's the rash I have that worries me most...if Lupus does not include a rash like mine, I'll feel better.

Last edited by LKeeney70; 02-16-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Just want a little info...

Lynn, There are *multiple* rashes associated with lupus & its "subsets". In each group, a particular rash predominates, but a person is actually "eligible" for the other lupus rashes, too.

e.g., someone with SLE will be much more prone to the malar rash (if any rash at all appears). But that person is also "eligible" for subacute cutaneous and discoid lesions as well.

In addition to the various lupus rashes, other skin problems are common in lupus patients, like hives, hair loss, mouth ulcers, black & blue marks, etc. To read more, click the "Resources" tab above; go into MedLinePlus; then into Rheumatology; then into lupus.

Also, look at the "sticky post" about test results, at the top of this Board. The source mentioned has a huge amount of lupus info, including some very clearly written skin info.

Only a skin biopsy would provide conclusive info, as so many rashes look alike to the naked eye. Have you ever had your rashes evaluated by a dermie, and biopsied?

Hope this gets you a step or two further along in your thinking! Best wishes, Vee

Closed Thread