It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zorm HB User
New lupus research

Dear all,

i thought id write a q uick note. there was a radio programme on on radio 4 in the uk about lupus. they were talking about research being done into it. They are working on some treatment which will be able to remove the bad proteins which mess us up and also possibly be able to start repairing some of the damage lupus has done to the body. they were talking about stem cells etc. You maybe able to listen to the programme again online if you can find the radio4 website in america. the programme time was 9pm on Weds evening.

love zorm

Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: New lupus research

Hello Zoe,

Yes I listened to it. As you have pointed out Zoe, it is really tremendous that lupus is coming out into the public arena more in this way. The research talked about was in the future as far as being used extensivly was concerned. The stem cell research especially was something that has been talked about for a while now and would be used for patients who have not had any success whatsoever with conventional treatments. The gene therapy talked about by one of the doctors was given a time of about 5 years hence.

Some of the things said by the interviewer were a cause for concern for some people because of mention of the prognosis given to lupus patients after diagnosis, but this was brought to the attention of the lady who did the interviewing and she said her comments on this were not put over in the proper way. I take it from that she meant that parts of her interview were cut and the continuity didn't match up very well.

All in all though, I agree with you Zoe it was a very informative programme, and to get the input from 3 doctors was so good. I think it is wonderful for people to know that so much research is going on at this present time, and I think we need to do all we can to keep lupus in the headlines as it were. I understood that the second part of the programme was on this week but I have to check on this. It was billed as an hour long programme, but as you know it was only on for 30 minutes. Unfortunately I can't give the link here I don't think to the UK BBC programme it was on.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-20-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: New lupus research

I read a short article about this that a friend cut out and sent to me. It was very interesting and said they have done a few trials but it is still in the future. They still have much to learn. I am glad this is coming to the front also, although I do not have internal organ damage anything that is learned is progress in the right direction.

Glojer

Closed Thread