It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #1
(female)

gbmccaw HB User
Lupus with Coughing

Hello all, I've been diagnosed with Lupus with Sjogren's 4 years ago. I've been taking Plaquenil and Prednisone. However, I've been coughing like crazy for two months now. I've been going to my Primary doc. He is not my rheumy doc and won't be seeing my rheumy doc in March. My Primary doc thinks it is cause by lupus and want me to increase my Prednisone. I currently taking 5 mg. and he wants to increase higher doses and I'm very reluctant to take high doses since i've been on prednisone for four years and getting worried of what it might do to my body. Also, he keeps second guess of my cough and he also thinks I have asthma. so he give me some medication to take like Tessalon, and Flovent and Ipratropium Bromide. so I supposed to take this meds. has anyone had this Symptoms with coughing???

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

DLayne HB User
Re: Lupus with Coughing

I also have alot of coughing ....it started about a month ago. I am also on Plaquenil and Prednisone. About 3 weeks ago I went into a flare and they raised my prednisone...now Im back down to 5mg a day. But I still have a nagging cough. I dont see my rheumy till April....but I cant keep coughing like this....so Im calling tomorrow. Last night I had to take codeine cough syrup....my throat is so raw right now it hurts to swallow. I guess Ill see what he says tomorrow...Ill let you know.

Take care Dlayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello gbm,

I have had SLE for over 30 years. but I have only in the last couple of months started to have really prolonged problems caused by coughing. I don't think it has anything to do with my having lupus though. I also have Sjogren's and have tremendous problems with dry mouth, amongst other things. The dryness has extended down into my throat and my gullet, and I honestly think this might be the cause of my coughing. I use an artificial saliva spray which does help with the dryness of the mouth and so helps with the throat dryness, and this helps with the coughing. Maybe you could ask you doctor about this.

I also have asthma - late onset - which is not allergy related. The thing is if you do use the sprays, they have a tendency to make your throat dry which given how you are at the moment isn't the best thing for you to have happen. The best thing to do is to use a spacer to inhale them, and after using them rinse your mouth out. This will help to lesses the dryness that this can cause as well as get rid of the horrid taste.

I have never noticed in all of the years since diagnosis of SLE and of taking steroids daily since then that I have ever had a cough as I have now, this is why I am convinced that mine is caused by Sjogren's. When I am unwell, I increase my steroids myself and this does not help with the cough in any way.

Obviously this is only my own experience, but I hope it will give you some ideas to work with and that things improve for you soon.

Take care

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-20-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

Goldenwings; I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only Lupus person that increases and decreases her Prednisone based on feeling well/unwell. I too have a persistant cough and I believe that it is allergy related. If it really begins to irritate me; I generally take some cough syrup and it helps. Also, I've noticed when I need to take pain control; generally Tylenol #3, that also helps to control the cough although I never take the 3's for the cough. Only for controlling Lupus type pain. I also have a lot of chest pain; I think it's sometimes Lupus pleurisy and other times it seems to be chostochondritis. Lupus is strange; I try to just go with the flow!
Dee

Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello langoley,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't met you before. I also like to use honey to sooth my throat. The worst times I find are when you try to talk and your throat is so dry, you can't get a word out hee hee !! Gosh poor you - costochondritis- yuk. This is the bane of my life unfortunately. Again steroid injections into the ribs are the only thing that I can have that helps with this. I can't take NSAID's because of interaction with my various medications for oh so many other things besides SLE, so every so often I have the injections into the ribs. They really do the trick for me, in fact I am due for some more in a week or two. Not very pleasant but well worth it. I had a bad bout of pleurisy after my latest surgery, and it was absolutely horrid. These type of things you cant explain unless you have had them can you?

I hope you have found support here. Everyone is really helpful because we all talk about our own situations, and it is so much better because you know that someone will be able to relate to what you are going through with one thing or another.

Good to meet you. Take care.

goldenwings

Closed Thread