It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

cookingmom HB User
lupus and thyroid problems

Hello,

I have had a thyroid scan this week which showed several small nodules on my thryoid and also a hypoechoic nodule. Also, my thyroid is enlarged. I will see the dr. about this on the 6th.

I was wondering if anyone has had thyroid problems associated with their lupus? My joint pain has been getting worse despite taking prednison, plaquenil and methotrexate. I now have muscle pain, my fatigue is worse. My throat is always sore. Can anyone relate to this?

I had 9 tubes of blood taken this past week to check and am waiting for the results - hopefully they will show something.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

confused725 HB User
Re: lupus and thyroid problems

Hi cookin

was wondering how did the blodwk come out.

I too am curious about the corralation between thyroid D. and Lupus.

Like you, I've been getting recent joint pains, feet, ankles, kness, wrists, fingers......
I asked my doc to check for Lupus and am awaiting results.

Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Having thyroid problems can cause or contribute to joint pain. Making sure you get your tsh and free t's in a range that is good for you is very important. Most women feel the best with a tsh between 1 and 3. Always get copies of your lab work to see how your levels are doing. It takes sometimes years to get everything good, I have been working on it for almost three years and still struggle sometimes. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

I have just recently been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism too. I have had Lupus for nearly 20 years and my thyroid as been putting out more and more of the hormone and now i'm 0.14. So, I guess my rhuemy and I will be pursuing this further as time goes by.
I also havejoint pain and fatigue; among other things LOL and I think the thyroid trouble just adds to what I feel from the Lupus; making it worse.
I just started Imuran 3 weeks ago on top of all my other meds. I'm hoping it will at least get the Lupus to a managable level.
But I too wonder about a link to Lupus and thyroid function.

Dee

Old 04-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hiya Langoley,

Can I ask you a strange question? Isnt Lupus like a death sentence (sorry to be so blunt)
You say you've had it for 20 years. I always thought of it as a deadly type of disease where you just wait till it gets you.

As you can see, i may know nothing of it.
What sypmtoms do you get, what is it that makes it difficult in your daily life? I'm very curious about this.

My friend says her friend died of this 20 years ago.......

Thx
Rachel

Old 04-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Lupus is not a death sentence. So many advances have been made since your friend passed away from it. The symptoms it causes can be treated so much better now. There are still some people who die from the complications - but that is the case with any disease. That is not to say that it does not cause difficulties because it does - it is a very frustrating disease. But, most people with lupus can live a full life span.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

Rachel;
I had lots of problems with my kidneys and neurological type things in the beginning of my disease. Once, I was put on the proper treatment; I've been relativley OK.
I worked for about 15 years as a Retail Manager and then as a LPN and then as a Medical Collections and Billing Manager. So, the disease was pretty well controlled. I got pnuemonia a couple of times and bamm! now it's back to being active. I applied for disability through Social Security and was approved the first time!! I did have all of my medical rec back from 1987 until 2002 when I applied. I was originally diagnosed at Stanford University out in California so maybe that helped some.
Right now, I'm having the usual array of symptoms. Fatigue, joint pain, general malaise, palpitations, pleurisy, rashes, mouth ulcers, mental confusion, nausea, blurry vision, and now these new thyroid things. But, the thyroid is the least of things right now. I've recently re-started taking Imuran. Been several years since I took it before; I found it very helpful at that time. Having problems with nausea and the Imuran though. Yucky!! The Phenergan really helps. I've been hospitalized 2 times last year; doing good so far this year though. I'm only 37 years old by the way, needless to say, Lupus is something I have learned to live with and I do the best that I can every day. We have 7 horses, 2 donkeys and 2 dogs so they REALLY help me keep myself focused and grounded. Don't get to ride as much as I would like but, they are my friends and give me so much happiness. Some days, I just don't function and it's a major ordeal to simply get out of the bed other days, it's like I'm normal.
What can I say! I've lived with it for so long; I don't know how to live any other way!!
Keep your head up! Some people with Lupus do die, but there are those of us who live with it too!
If there's any way I can help or any questions I can answer for you; please let me know.
Best of luck to you,
Dee

Old 04-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Langoley,

So sorry to hear that you're having such symptoms but it seems all around you are doing well. Thats good to hear.

When you say mouth ulcers, what is that like? Is it just one? Is it multiple? Do they hurt? How long do they last?

I'm trying to gather info......as you can see and would appreciate it so much if you wouldnt mind to answer my questions.

When you get joint pains, is it a flareup? Does it get so bad that you cant do much? I have joint pains all over but I still do what i have to. Yesturday I noticed a little soar on the cheek on my mouth. (as if I chewed on it and didnt realize, very minor) It doesnt hurt at all and looks like its already going away. Does that sound typical of Lupus or are the soars big, red inflamed, ect.......I read that lupus soars will stay for at least 2 weeks. Is that true? A lil more info would help.

Do you only feel bad when you have a flareup and what happens when you get one?

Do you ALWAYS get rashes? Is that pretty much expected? I dont ever get rashes, in or out of the sun.

What about fever?
If you would be so kind to help me w/ these questions, I would appreciate it so much.
THX!

Old 04-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

The symptoms that I have with my Lupus are pretty much always the same. I get tired easily and I have joint pain. With my medications it's usually only mild pain, but sometimes my hands and otherjoints hurt quite a bit and tend to swell. I don't really have any sun sensitivy and I never have rashes of any kind. Once in a while if I forget to take my medicine I'll be achy all over for a day or two. I RARELY forget my medicine lol. One other thing I noticed happens when I take my kids rollerskating or when I use a treadmill. My ankles will get really sore. I'm not sure I can explain it right but it is a really weird feeling...almost like my feet will just disconnect and fall off lol.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

The ulcers are sort of like canker soars. Sore for a few days & then they go away; sometimes I get them on the roof of my mouth; they are little more painful than the ones I get inside my cheeks. My sores don't last 2 weeks but, I guess some people's might.

I pretty much have joint pains; all of the time; everyday, when I have a flareup they are MUCH worse. Yes, it does get so bad that I cannot function. And then, I'm pretty much bedridden for a time.

I don't get rashes too often and never from the sun. I do not have any sun sensitivity.

I generally run a slight fever all of the time. But, it varies, from 99.0 up to 101.8. Just depends on what my Lupus is doing.....

If there's anything else, feel free to ask,
Dee

Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #11
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi langoley,

Thx for answering. I appreciate it.

I just got a negative result on the ANA test....I'm hoping this means I dont have Lupus. I'm dealing with just being dxed w/ hyerthyroidism and right now thats enough but I'll need to find out whats causing ALL my joints to ache.
Rachel

Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
(female)

rosta04 HB User

It's possible your aches are related to some sort of arthritis the main one people get diagnosed with is Rhumetoid Arthritis. There are several medications to treat it these days, in fact injections seem to help those I know with the disease, such as Enbrol and Humira, but very expensive so you do have to get a pre op through your insurance. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, Raynauds, Rosacea 13 years ago, and SLE Lupus just 4 years ago. It's been a rough go, but from what my doctors have told me it's not likely you will have Lupus and RA at the same time but rather just one or the other. So you might want to get that checked out.. Rashes can be Rosacea related, often times spicy foods can make them worse or the sun, hot water etc.. Good luck with your search and finding out what is going on. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hiya Rosta,

Geazz, you have had it tough! I'm sorry.
Ive had a bad few years as well. Hey, thx for the info.....I appreciate it very much!
My Dr was saying something about mixed connective tissue......but we didnt get too far into it. (I think he wants me to deal w/ one dilema at a time). Who knows.

THX again,
Rachel

Old 04-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
(female)

rosta04 HB User

Your welcome.. keep me posted as to what they find out.. I know its frustrating but sometimes it is better to take one thing at a time.. It was overwhelming for myself to find out all these things at once.. You just don't know where to start and whom to trust..

Take care
AJ

Closed Thread