It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

MicheleT HB User
Another thyroid person w/ lupus questions

Hi,
I'm Michele and I am suffering thyroids problems, right now it is being called painful tyrioditis and toxic multinodular goiter. Today I posted on the board about so symptoms I've been having more often and it was suggested I be checked for lupus.
I've had chronic joint pain for years, I self medicated with vicodine until i found myself in full blown addiction. I stop taking all narcotics in July 05 and since then the pain in my body is back and greater. I've also had terrible headaches always at the base of my skull, almost daily, I have one now but it's more on the right side tonight. In addition, I've always suffered intermitent butterfly redness on my cheeks and nose and never knew why, of late it has become a daily occurance and it can happen even when I'm freezing. Lastly, a week ago I had a sore in mouth. I've never had anything like it before, it was a round white sore and the tissue around it as very red. It lasted several days and the fisrt few, it was very painful.
Help, I'm 45 and I feel like I'm falling to pieces. Any words of advice.
Thank you so much.
Michele

Old 03-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: Another thyroid person w/ lupus questions

Hi Michele,

I don't know if I can help you or not but I did want to say that I understand how frustrated you must feel. Not knowing what is going on is difficult.

I am almost in the exact opposite boat as you. I know I have lupus and am currently being checked for thyroid problems. With my lupus I have a great deal of joint pain, which my drs call lupus arthritis. I have the butterfly rash on my face, especially when I am flaring. I too get a lot of headaches but mine are on the right side of my head and I have a lot of mouth sores. Have you had any tests like an ANA or have you seen a rheumatologist?

Please let us know how you are and what is happening. I will say a prayer for you. Take care. Bern

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

MicheleT HB User

Bear Bern,
Thank you SO much for replying. I just spent a week on prednisone so I'm currently feeling on top of the world! I see my Endo again on March 21st and I will tell her what's going on and inquire about about the test you mentioned and also find about seeing a rheumatologist. My father has an autoimmune skin disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris so I want to be checked for that as well.
Good grief, this getting old stuff is hard work!!! Good luck with your thyroid issues, be sure to see a good Endo and not just a GP, I'm on my second one already. A lot of then think they know more than you but as I'm sure you know from dealing with the lupus, we may not be doctors but we know our bodies.
Prayers your way too. Please stay in touch.
Michele

Old 03-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi Michele,

I am going to make an appt. with an endocrinologist on Monday - you are one of several people who have told me not to rely on my gp for this. I think it is good advice.

Autoimmune diseases are a difficult thing. I have never heard of the one that your dad has. But, I think it is important to see a rheumatologist and let him/her know the other autoimmune problems in your family.

My husband has sarcoidosis and with my lupus, I worry about my kids all the time.

Let me know how you do and I will do the same. Thanks, Bern

Closed Thread