It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #1

BlessingsGalore HB User
Question Lupus and Chest Pain

Anyone have this with no evident cause. Feels like gnawing pain in the middle/left side of my chest, radiates to my back....gets worse after a big meal....shoulder hurts too.

Is it just fibro and lupus taking it's ever loving toll on that area too ?

SOOOOOOOOOO TIRED.............Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Lupus and Chest Pain

Hello Nancy,

As you said it comes on mostly after a meal, to me it sounds rather like acid reflux, trapped wind or gerd type problems. Try drinking/sipping water along with your meal, I find this helps a lot and also don't have dinner off a lap tray. Try to sit at the table if you can, this also helps me too.

Just my thoughts.

Take care

goldenwings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #3

BlessingsGalore HB User

Well, I thought that too, but now it seems to be hurting more Not around meal time or after a meal. Go figure. I'm thinking pluerisy, costochronditis ?

It's weird. Never had this one. How did I miss a symptom of anything I've had so much..........well, it does come and go all 2,000 symptoms ....

TEE HEE HEE...........

Old 02-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #4

LMHART HB User

Nancy,
You MUST call your doc and get in right away. With women, it could be caused from gastrointestinal problems to heart problems. Both are typical symptoms. Please call right away!
Leslie

Old 02-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya again,

I have had two heart attacks and the pain you describe wasn't like that at all. Also if it has been constant, this too points to the fact that it isn't a typical heart attck type pain either. Just my two cents worth here.

Pleurisy hurts like heck when you try to breath in or out, with sharp - feel like knives going in - type pains. Costo sounds a bit more like it.

As has already been said, don't wait any longer, try to get to the ER or if you can bear it, get to your doctor as soon as is possible.

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 02-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #6

BlessingsGalore HB User
Post Re: Lupus and Chest Pain

Well, the thing that DOES concern me HEART WISE is that is does come and go.............ANGINA does that..........also hurts after a meal.

It is bad enough to GRUNT if you know what I mean. Blood pressure spiked to a 153/88 the other day..............VERY HIGH FOR ME !

I do know I need to go in. Have a big appt. this month that I've been waiting on.....but may not be able to wait.

I had a serious attack of DIVERTICULIITS and got over that and this has started after that.

I do not have indigestion. I do not have the reflux thing going on...all that has settled down and now I have this terrible, through to the back chest pain. Sometimes I don't have it at all. It's really weird how it comes and goes.

Costochronditis come and go ? I'm worried about ANGINA I guess.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hey, Blessings Long time no see, my friend!!

I must say that when I had acid reflux the pain was very much similar to what you are describing. Try taking some mylanta to act quickly....if that doesn't do it then take some Pepcid AC......give it a few hours.

If it is getting worse....and is constant, I would definitely head to the ER. Alot of us woman have gastrointestinal symptoms when having a heart attack. It will give you peace of mind and you should check it out if you have never had this type of pain before!!!

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

PS ~ When you describe it going into the back....I had gallbladder attacks that also seemed to do that....almost felt like a vice squeezing my ribs and back together with such pain. Are you eating rich and fatty things???? Mine came from ricotta and mozzarella cheese....just a thought!!!

If you need support regarding your diverticulitis I have a thread over on the bowel board that will help you out with any concerns you may have regarding that. Meet me over there if you have any concerns. ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 02-27-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #8

LMHART HB User

Nancy,
What we are all saying is that it could be anything. Better safe than sorry. They may tell you that you have gastritis or something, or an ulcer, or nothing! I am just saying that EVERY heart attack patient presents differently. Some present with a "toothache" only. You don't know and neither do the docs with just symptoms. I have costo and it is very painful to touch, almost intolerable - not food related and basically always there. Women present strangely with cardiac symptoms, especially those with diabetes or autoimmune diseases. They would have to run labs and EKG's, cardiac monitoring, etc to know what is going on. I did have similar symptoms with pericarditis, but was worse with laying back. Any chest pain or pressure is concerning. In this case, it is safer to assume the worse and be happy when they let you go home. Time is heart muscle! Let us know!!!
Leslie

Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #9

BlessingsGalore HB User

My word, my word GOOD2SHUZ................it has been a LONG time. How's your back girl ?

Mine is much better, still can't bend, but as long as I'm careful and take care and DON'T BEND, I do ok.

I will go to your bowel board.

It just seems strange and I guess that's why I'm not THAT WORRIED that this started AFTER the bad diverticulitis attack. I'm talking 102 fever, hard chills, vomitus ...the works.

I did have some reflux again when all that was flared up, but this is different than anything I've ever had except pluerisy. My CRB was also elevated on a recent trip to rheumy. Infection indicator.

I have a CAT SCAN on Thursday for my lower abodomen, but he totally ignored that I was having severe chest pain.

Will pain come and go like that with a heart attack. Seems it wouldn't to me, but then like you all say, we know that it presents with many, odd and sometimes subtle symptoms.

Guess I better get in there tomorrow to see about it.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Blessings....I think that this is something that you ought to have checked out before tomorrow. My MIL had 2 heart attacks with bad abdominal pain into the back.....it's always best to have things checked out especially when it is something you have never had before.

Can you get over to the ER?? I know that you don't want to go unnecessarily but until you determine what exactly this is it might be wise if you do.

My thread is under Colon Resection....I had the surgery for my diverticulitis and will address that over there so we do not go off topic here.

I have questions about your diverticulitis that I will address with you once you post there.

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #11

BlessingsGalore HB User

Thanks Goody, I was just looking for your post.

SO GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

I've had this for about 10 days now..............wouldn't I be dead by now or close to it if it were my heart ?

((((((( GOODY ))))))))

Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Yes...blessings, I tend to agree that if it were your heart it would be continuous and worsten but it is difficult to say. Listen to your body...it is obvious that something new is going on and in the ER they will run an array of tests that may take weeks to get to the bottom of by the time you schedule them from seeing your physician. The ER would be the quickest & most effective way to find out what is going on. Just a thought!!

I missed you and hope that you get to the bottom of this!!!

(((HUGS))) ~ Goody

Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #13

BlessingsGalore HB User

Well, I went, I saw, I did. To the Emergency Doctor that is. They did an EKG and it was fine and a chest x-ray. Nothing showed on it either. I'm doing a full cardiac workup on Monday. HOWEVER, he gave me librax and I'm feeling MUCHO better this morning. Was doubled over when I went in.

Since it came on the heels of the diverticulitis attack, I thought it had to be GUT related and I think, and he thinks it's Esophagititis. Since I'm so much better this morning with the librax settling down the esophagus, I think that's it, though it's time for a full cardiac workup. Haven't had one in about 6 years.

Just thought I'd let you guys know what I found out.

Thanks for all your input. AND PUSHING me on to the doc. Didn't take much after I woke up doubled over yesterday with the chest pain. They say esophagus hurts just like a heart attack and I agree.

It's hard even for the doc to tell the difference without mucho testing.

THANKS GUYS, BLESSINGS

Last edited by BlessingsGalore; 03-03-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #14

LMHART HB User

Soooooooooooooo happy to hear the great news! I have been thinking about you and what happened. Esophagitis is very painful - had it from Lodine for pericarditis. Well, let us know what your work up shows. So happy for you!
Leslie

Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #15

BlessingsGalore HB User

Well, funniest thing: Seems the pain is back full force today. RATS.......this is a miserable pain and maybe it takes some time for it to really settle down the spasms of the esophagitis.

Anyone else suffer this kind of pain from Esophagitis ? I probably need to start a new thread on it.

THANKSSSSSSSSSSS

Closed Thread