It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User
Trouble taking Lupus drugs??

Several years ago, I had too many side affects to continue on Plaquenil.

Now I'm thinking I need to revisit a rheumy after all these years to see if there are other options, or ways to tolerate.

Curious what you're taking & if you've had difficulty; your solution, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

carole

Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Trouble taking Lupus drugs??

Hi Carole,

What side effects bothered you with Plaquenil?

I took it twice a day for 2 years without problems, then started having increasingly frequent bouts of the runs. I tried taking it at night several months ago and was up with the runs in the middle of that night. It may be a mistake, but I'm not taking it at all now and feel okay.

My doctor did try me on the real Chloroquin, but that made no difference.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Trouble taking Lupus drugs??

Carole, Some people here have written similarly, I think. I recall some saying they did better on brand-name Plaquenil, as opposed to generic hydroxychloroquine. And Dr. Wallace also writes in his lupus hardcover that many do indeed tolerate the name-brand better than the generic.

I had GI problems for so many years that if I indeed had any at the time I started Plaquenil, I would probably not have noticed much. I got some halo effect at night, so just avoided driving at night for a few weeks. I seem to recall being a little queasy, like you feel when you first start an antibiotic.

But the drug started helping my symptoms very quickly---mainly, fatigue, anemia, tingling, & headaches. I still have blah spells but with fewer & less severe problems. But I still need OTC pain meds fairly often.

Good luck with your decision! Take good care, Vee

Closed Thread