It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User
Pregnancy and Plaquenil

Is plaquenil safe to take during pregnancy? I've heard yes from some doctors and no from others. My rheumie says that although it has been proven safe, once he finds out that I'm pregnant he's going to take me off of it. So that REALLY confused me even more. lol. Has anyone here with lupus ever been pregnant and STAYED on Plaquenil? If so, what was your pregnancy outcome?

Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

ColoradoJen HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Plaquenil

Hi,
I'm new to posting here.
I have lupus, and I had my daughter in Feb. 05. I have never taken plaquenil as I have a seizure disorder as well, however, I do know that my Rheumy told me that the only safe drug to take during pregnancy is prednisone.

good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

I have to go along with Colorado jen, my doc and rheumy told me prednisone was the only safe one to take. Im still on it, I delivered Feb 9th.
Felicia hi

Old 03-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

ColoradoJen and JustbreatheOM,

How were your pregnancies?...And anyone else who'd like to answer as well...It would be soo helpful..Thanks a lot.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I take Plaquenil and Prednisone. I took both of them through my whole pregnancy with my 3rd child. My pregnancy was absolutely uneventful and he was born at 38 weeks weighing 7.8.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

That's exactly what I keep hearing. Some say it IS safe and some say it's not...lol...I guess it will ultimately be up to my rheumie and perinatologist. Thanks again for all of you guys' input. And if there's anymore you could give, it would be great. I'm a sponge I soak it all in.

Nikkaylee-when you say 'uneventful' do you mean you had NO complications during your pregnancy?!! That is SO awesome! I'm so happy to hear that...I only hope for something so great.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Yup, that's exactly what I mean. It was a completely normal pregnancy. Well, except for the fact that twice I was in the hospital for early contractions (because I was paranoid lol) and they just gave me a little medication and fluids and sent me home....had nothing to do with my Lupus. Sex was the culprit both times! lol (Is that okay to say here?!?!?)

Old 04-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

Shoe Fiend HB User

The first thing my doctor did when he found out I was pregnant was to take me off the Plaquenil. Basically he said the side effects that I could have...the baby could have too. He was most concerned with eye damage to the baby. Fortunately for me my lupus symptoms went away during my pregnancy. I still had numerous check-ups, ultra-sounds, and blood work to check, but I had my son two weeks early and he weighed 7 lbs 12 ounces. I had no complications at all, just lots of precautions. This after my doctor told me I probably could not get pregnant with my lupus complications and my husband had cancer and chemotherapy which they told us would make him sterile!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

Fortunately for me my lupus symptoms went away during my pregnancy.

Shoe Fiend-Were you in remission when you got pregnant or did you have active lupus at the time?

Last edited by wifeofzenoops; 04-02-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

See I was told the plaquenil was safe and that the prednisone would have been a worry if I wasn't on such a low dose...guess it really depends on your doctor

Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #11
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

Yeah. That's really interesting that I've gotten so many responses saying both answers. It's even that way with the doctors too...Which is the scariest part!!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
(female)

rosta04 HB User

I have not had a baby yet. But I did discuss everything with my Rhumy whom has been in around for many years. She said that she will keep me on Plaquenil when I decide to have a baby as she has montiroed several mothers to be all have had successful pregnancies. I am shocked to hear all of your comments about prednisone being safe, you shouldn't ever be on prednisone for long periods of time it's only for flare up. Most certainly I wouldn't be on it if I were to have a child. Thankfully some have had successful births on prednisone but that is a strong medication just like pain medication it can harm a baby.. Also one thing you have to remember is Plaquenil takes so long to enter your body to help symptoms that it will pry take just as long to leave your system so either way your body is still going to have it in it's system why go off of it throw your body off course then try to take it again, it's like starting from fresh to get your symptoms under control. Just a thought good luck.

Andrea

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I just copied this from *****

Immunosuppressant medications, which may be prescribed for severe lupus, can cause birth defects. Do not take immunosuppressants if you are pregnant or wish to become pregnant.
Corticosteroids (such as prednisone) are generally considered safe for use during pregnancy because they do not reach the fetus in an active form.2
Cytotoxic medications such as methotrexate are stopped during pregnancy. They should be discontinued several months before conception.
Recent studies suggest that hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is safe for use during pregnancy.3
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen and aspirin should be avoided during pregnancy unless prescribed by a doctor.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

I do know like Rosta04 said, you shouldn't be on prednisone for long periods of time whether you're pregnant or not....It should only for used to treat a flare, but that's just it...A flare can happen during pregnancy....And when it does, prednisone can be used to treat that flare....I've been told by several rheumies that a very small amount of prednisone crosses over to the placenta..

The plaquenil however is the one that gets 'yes it's safe' and then 'no it's not safe' and then 'well it's suppossed to be safe, but if you get pregnant, I'm going to take you off of it anyway.' I have literally gotten all 3 of those answers....Which is why I started this thread in the first place....Maybe the more old school rheumie's say 'no' and the new schooler's say 'yes'?

Nickkaylee I know that article you quoted....I quoted that info to my Perinatologist and he asked me which source that came from and I couldn't remember...So it was *****...Thanks for reminding me! Now I can tell him!

Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #15
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I know they don't like you to be on Prednisone for long periods of time if you don't need to be. I on the other hand have to take it every day or else I'm a hurting unit lol. I only take 5 mg a day now thankfully. It's been like that for a few years now. I was also told by my doctor that because I AM on such a low dose thatI could stay on it and it would be safe while pregnant. He may have felt differently if I had to stay on a higher dose. I'll never know. With the Plaquenil though I know I am on the usual dose they give us and was told I wouldn't need to stop taking it. Before I got pregnant I had been taking Arava and was told that before getting pregnant I'd need to stop taking it, take another drug toget it out of my system, and then have 2 different blood tests confirming that it was out of my system before I could even become pregnant. Anyway glad I was of some help to someone lol.

Closed Thread