It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

kgbbsc7 HB User
Possible Lupus Diagnosis?

I am in the process of being diagnosed with Lupus. My skin biopsies came back inconclusive but suggestive of Lupus. The blood work should be back hopefully Monday (Tues at the lateest).

I am 24 and I have always been a VERY healthy person. Auto-immune run in my mothers side of the family. Also, I am an accountant and I think the stress of tax season brought this on.

Is it possible to try to control this with diet, excercise and lifestyle changes?? I really don't want to take a ton of medication to control something if I can do it by myself??

I know I will need medication if I do get a flair up, but for everyday prevention can I do it w/o meds?

Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: Possible Lupus Diagnosis?

Hi, I am sorry you are having problems. If it does turn out to be lupus - please hook yourself up with a good rheumatologist. Your treatment will depend on what way the lupus is affecting you. It is possible when you are not flaring to be medicine free. Each case is different.

Let us know what your bloodwork shows and how you are doing. Stay out of the sun !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Possible Lupus Diagnosis?

Dear kgbbsc, Welcome. Unfortunately there is no known prevention or cure for lupus. On the other hand, sun avoidance (as cookingmom just said) and medication can do much to control, in many people, the aberrant immune system that's in overdrive.

Also, many cases are mild---and there are different "degrees" of lupus. The "sticky posts" at the top of this Board have info on SLE = systemic lupus. Others include: DLE (discoid, considered the mildest but with cosmetic scarring issues); SCLE (subacute cutaneous, considered the intermediate kind; this can range the whole gamut but tends to be less severe in many people); and SLE (systemic, the one we think of when we think of lupus). Also there are neo-natal & drug-induced. Plus there are a lot of variants even within these 5 groups. Not a simple subject!

Do you know what bloodwork was done? Some rheumies just go for broke & order many tests, instead of waiting for ANA to turn positive before ordering more specific tests. This actually makes MORE SENSE, as some people with the lesser "subsets" (DLE & SCLE) *never* have a positive ANA. Also, a few people with full-blown SLE remain ANA-negative. There's some great info on this in the site noted in the "sticky post" about TEST RESULTS (see top of Board). If you navigate there, you'll find a lot of info, on tests, skin, major organs, etc.

Where was your rash? Just curious... I had many years of annular (circular) nonscarring torso rashes, but no facial rashes. I finally went to a Manhattan rheumie & dermatopathologist and was Dx'ed with SCLE, based on anti-Ro, some systemic problems (anemia for one), and skin biopsy results. I never had a positive ANA, which can happen about 30% of the time in the SCLE subset. I am horribly photosensitive.

We'd love to hear more! Chances are good that someone here overlaps with at least some of your issues. The range is SO WIDE in lupus, but we have quite a collection of characters here. Take good care. Bye for now, from Vee

Closed Thread