It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
Does Lupus Cause Numbness And Tingling??

Hello. I have been posting most of my questions in the MS section of this site because that is what initially alerted me. I have had two MRIs, one of the brain, one of the cspine and an eye exam and all normal. My situation started with numbness in my hands and feet that has been replaced with extreme tightness, cracking and pain in my joints (fingers, wrists, ankles, toes). I am going to see a rheumatologist on Monday to discuss my symptoms and have an ANA blood test. Is lupus known to cause numbness and tingling of the extremities? I have been told that MS could be misdiagnosed as lupus, as the two share many of the same symptoms... is this one of them? Thank you for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

armslee HB User
Talking Re: Does Lupus Cause Numbness And Tingling??

Hi Bees,
I also have been posting for quite sometime now on an MS board. I have had numbness/tingling/dizziness/burning and ALOT of pain in my joints that is chronically getting worse. I too have thought MS for a long time, but C Spine and Brain MRI came out normal.
I have probed my Neuro to do bloodwork, which they are resistant to order but are dying to do a lumbar puncture, go figure.
Through my own internet research I am also thinking possible lupus too.
Do you have skin irritation and rashes? What about sun sensitivities? I never used to but sat out at the soccer field saturday and got crispy! Unbelievable!
Any info anyone could give would be great. I have made an appt with my MD for Thursday morning.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
Re: Does Lupus Cause Numbness (response to armslee)

Hello Armslee,

Regarding your question of sun sensitivies, I don't have the hallmark butterfly rash but my cheeks by my nose are a little raised and dry and more red than usual, it gets better and worse. I have a rheumatologist appt. today so they will do the necessary blood work...i will ask lots of questions and post back here to let you know how it went. Do you have any vision problems? I have blurred vision in my R eye for the past 2 months now and I am seeing a lot of floaters, also some light sensitivies. I am a bit concerned because I know MRIs could come out normal, without any plaques, if MS is in its beginning stages, so it is hard to tell... how long have you been having your symptoms? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I am 19.

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

armslee HB User
Re: Does Lupus Cause Numbness And Tingling??

Michelle,
I do have some vision problems. The neuro did a VEP looking for Optic Neuritis, which came back normal. I have intermittant blurriness in the right eye and occassionally pain in that eye as well. I do get the "floaters" and feel like I see black spots sometimes too in both eyes.
Sometimes I think it is just neurological or caused by the Topamax. When I was on Zonegran I used to see "trails" all the time, so no telling.

I don't have a real butterfly on my face. Mine is on my forehead, sides of my nose, to the left of my eye and then shoulders, arms and torso.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
(female)

armslee HB User

Sorry, I forgot..... I am 32

Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

allwright63 HB User

Hey guys-
Just dropped in on your question of numbness/tingling....

My lupus symptoms cause extreme swelling in my wrists, hands and feet - the swelling in my hands/wrists actually result in carpal tunnel syndrome (alot of tingling and numbness). Is the numbness, etc worse at night? Carpal tunnel symptoms are often worse at night as people unknowingly tuck their hands into bent positions...

Some people (like me) with lupus also have Raynaud's which also causes tingling/numbness - but you'd probably notice that your hands change radical colors (blue, red, white)

I've been on prednisone for two weeks now, and the improvement is tremendous, although my hands still have some tingling...hope you find out soon what you've got so you can start to treat it!

Ann

Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

I've had Lupus for about 20 years now and just recently; the last 3 or 4 months, I've noticed the numbness, tingling in my arms, hands, legs and feet too. I'm not sure but I think it's probably the Lupus just being weird.

As for the butterfly rash, I've never had one on my face (Thank God) but I generally get them on my legs and hands. They aren't too bad. My first one was on my calf and it was biopsied and came back Lupus so that was pretty easy for the Doctor to put the other symptoms together and diagnose me. I was lucky though and thank my lucky stars that it was relatively quick and I didn't suffer as long as I could have without a diag.

Best of luck
Dee

Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armslee
Michelle,
I do have some vision problems. The neuro did a VEP looking for Optic Neuritis, which came back normal. I have intermittant blurriness in the right eye and occassionally pain in that eye as well. I do get the "floaters" and feel like I see black spots sometimes too in both eyes.
Sometimes I think it is just neurological or caused by the Topamax. When I was on Zonegran I used to see "trails" all the time, so no telling.

I don't have a real butterfly on my face. Mine is on my forehead, sides of my nose, to the left of my eye and then shoulders, arms and torso.
++++

My rash tends to stay more on my nose and the sides of my nose. I think it is probably a bit different for everyone. I know that I should see a dermetologist, but frankly I am loath to add another "ologist" to my list of dr's.

Erin

Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
(male)

Dave1968 HB User

Hi all,

I too have posted on the MS site, but Have been thinking for a while about lupus, I have tingling sensations in my hands arm and face they just wax and wane. I feel really tired sometimes then ok others my arms go weak sometimes then again are ok others I have muscle twitching in calf muscles and right tricep muscle. I feel like im going to fall over when I go into supermarkets or the hospital I think its the lights I also get horrible headaches, burning sensations in my legs etc.

I noticed a rash on my tops of my arms like a round disc type, I also think my nose and slighly my cheeks are too red sometimes and my hands are always cold and I think that they go red in the cold but my fingers are still white?

I have spoke to my dr about this he says the rash is just an allergic reaction to something, I did have an ANA test which was normal. But doing some research I have read that it is only positive in 90% of patients and that also it can go up and from time to time in the blood, so it may come back normal one time but be positive the next. I too had a normal MRI of my brain and spine and my nuro exam was normal too.

I did not go on holiday last year because I felt unwell, but when I went the year before I noticed my eyebrows went red after bein in the sun.

What do you think??

Dave.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #10
(male)

Dave1968 HB User

Oh forgot to add I also get heart palpatations.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Dave. There ARE lupus rashes that can affect arms/torso. (1) Discoid, which tends to scar &/or depigment. (2) Subacute Cutaneous, of which there are two main ones. One looks like psoriasis (but isn't), and the other is annular (target-like), although early on it may just look like red raised welts. SCLE rashes can, but tend not to, scar/depigment. (3) Less common lupus rashes are tumid, bullous, etc. (4) Plus, people with lupus are also prone to "non-lupus" skin problems such as hives, cutaneous vasculitis, purpura, petechaie, etc.

Skin biopsy (by dermatologist or dermatopathologist) is the only sure-fire way to know if a rash is lupus-specific. The cells have characetristic features under the microscope. Also, immunological stain tests are done to look for aberrant immune "junk".

Rashes thus are very useful to nailing down a lupus Dx but in & of themselves do not determine the type of lupus one has. Why? For one, they sometimes cross "subsets" (e.g., someone with a discoid lesion could actually have full SLE.) Another reason: some people with lupus don't get rashes at all! Thus it's the TOTALITY of symptoms that determines the type of lupus one has.

ANA isn't always positive. We all read it's almost always positive in SLE (systemic lupus). But in the intermediate SCLE form, it's positive, oh, maybe 2/3 of the time. In DLE, the least subset, maybe only 1/2 of the time. And it can take a long time to turn in some people, too.

To read more: look at all the "sticky" posts (permanent posts). And the one about test results directs you to more info; there, look for the skin article.

For what this is worth.... Hope it gives you a few new ideas. Best wishes! Sincerely, Vee (Dx'ed in 2000 with SCLE. Had annular rashes on arms & torso, was very photosensitive, and had a whole raft of other issues incl. neuro-like tingling, headaches, anemia, etc. Do not have "major organ" involvement, but did get those pants & heart palpitations you mentioned.)

Old 03-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
(female)

armslee HB User

Interesting about the heart palpitations!
I had never heard that before. I get those so bad sometimes that my tummy actually moves!!!

Closed Thread