It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
Does Lupus Cause Blurred Vision Please Help!

Hello Everyone. In the last two months I have been experiencing blurred hazy vision in my right eye. The eye itself is a bit swollen and sometimes itchy or sore, but does not hurt when moving it. I suspected optic neuritis and MS because I have tingling in the hands and feet. I have gotten an MRI of brain and C spine- normal, as well as an exam by a well-acclaimed opthalmologist and he said the eye is normal, no swelling of the optic nerve... My tingling has recently turned to tightness and pain of joints and my face has a bit of redness to it- but not as severe as the "hallmark wolf rashes." I am seeing a rheumatologist on monday, but does anyone else suffer from a similar eye situation?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Does Lupus Cause Blurred Vision Please Help!

Dear Burnt Bees, My mom had recurrent vision problems. She was on Coumadin for years, but no one ever Dx'ed antiphospholipid syndrome, the blood clotting disorder common in lupus patients. I suspect, but can never know now for sure, that she had APS.

There's a "sticky post" (permanent post) at the top of the Board on APS. Maybe someone Dx'ed with APS will post something more useful. Meanwhile, good luck with your rheumie appt. on Monday! Sincerely, Vee

(P.S. I was Dx'ed in 2000 with the intermediate form of lupus = SCLE = subacute cutaneous LE. I had recurrent eye infections that caused redness & blurry vision, but I have not tested positive for APS. I take Plaquenil & avoid sun.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

The only eye problems I've had with lupus is that I often get an eye infection if I don't take off my eye make-up before I sleep. My eye lids would become puffy, my eyes would be reddened, and it looked similar to pink eye. I'd need an opthalmic antibiotic get rid of the infection. I seldom were eye make-up now. This never happened before my lupus dx.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #4

Ani3242 HB User

Sorry to hear you are having some blurry vision. I do get this - mostly in the mornings & mostly when I'm my eyes & joints are very swollen.

I had previously had a swollen optic discs that put me in the hospital on IV steriods - it helped to get my vision back - a blessing from above. However now I'm still having these occastional blurry vision incidents which are concerning to my Rheum Dr. & myself.

My neurologist still sees some swelling of one of the optic disc when he takes a look. However the "special" eye doctor recently did not. But, what he did say is once you have optic neurititis with Lupus these things will continue to happen over & over. So that's not a pretty thought. But, it's key to manage it early when it occurs.

Have you been to see your neurologist? Definitely ensure they run all other tests to rule out MS as well.

Keep us posted and don't give up looking for answers!

Old 03-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #5
(female)

suziewong HB User

Hi the question you ask is blurred vision associated with lupus,well for the past 10 years i was getting IV steroids as doctors thought my eye problems were M.S, I have optic drusen and swelling on the optic nerve in both eyes,But for the past 2 years i have had dry eye and been diagnoised with sjogrens,i use liquid tears for this helps.Now my nueroligist as told me we don't think it is ms but think it is systemic lupus,So yes the eye problem can be related to lupus.I also get tingeling in hands and feet,along with alot more symptoms.Kidney disease being one i needed 1 kidney removed.Do you also get when you looking at screen at peoples faces there mouth seem destorted.
please let us know how the appointment goes,

bye susan

Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User

Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies. I had been seeing a neurologist because I suspected MS (blurred vision, tingling in hands and bottom of feet, occasional sharp needle ***** feelings scattered all over body) but the tingling has since turned to tight and painful joints and after an normal mri of brain and cpsine, he dismissed me and i am now trying the rheumatologist for lupus, however I do understand that even though the mris were normal doesnt show much, because ms could be in its early stages and not yet have formed lesions. If this lupus test comes back negative, i am not sure where to turn next, another neurologist for a second opinion?

Old 03-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Burnt Bees, Alas, one trip to a rheumie may not yield defintiive results. It takes some people many years to get a Dx nailed down. May this NOT prove true for you.

Some bloodwork results wax and wane along with symptoms, so that's one reason. Another reason is that sometimes drs. order only the threshhold tests (like ANA) at first, ramping up to all the more specific tests when ANA comes back positive. NOT a good approach...! e.g., what if you have one of the milder forms of lupus where ANA is only positive *some* of the time? (That's what happened to me.) Or some "close cousin" of lupus? Or lupus that's slowly on the rise? So it's good if all appropriate tests are done right off the bat---and *repeated* as continuing symptoms warrant.

Skin biopsies can help hugely, if done by a competent dermie or dermatopathologist. Lupus rashes are distinct under the microscope & under immunological stain tests, beause in lupus immune "junk" is deposited under the outermost layer of skin. But in these rash tests, DLE looks a lot like SCLE which looks a lot like SLE---but at least they can generally tell if it's *some* form of lupus. Even where there isn't a visible rash, something called a lupus band test can pick up these "junk" deposits.

If Sjogren's or SCLE is suspected, the anti-Ro antibody may be positive. But being negative does not entirely rule out either condition. (You'll read sentences like "70% of those with SCLE have a positive anti-Ro." Well, that means that 30% of those with SCLE do *not* have the antibody found. A LOT of these stats are more like "odds" than strict diagnostic rules, alas...)

I *think* the most definitive test for Sjogrens is a lip biopsy. Others are Schirmer's test (measures tearing) and Rose Bengal staining of cornea.

Anyway, I hope you keeping checking back in here. Can't hurt, may help---and you'll certainly have company who understands! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MONDAY APPT! Sincerely, Vee

Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

I've had Lupus for 20 some years now and I get blurry vision all of the time. My Ophalmologist says the inside of my eyes gets "boggy" I guess like swollen since it's similiar tissue that's in our joints that gets swollen and inflammed during some of the Lupus flairs. So, it's quite common with me. It comes and goes. Never painful though.
Best of luck to you,
Dee

Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
(female)

cookingmom HB User

Hi,

I have lupus and APS and I definitely get blurry vision quite often. I also get pain behind my eyes but every time I get them checked they say they are fine. The blurred vision is frustrating. I always suggest keeping a log of the problems you have - in the event that you start seeing more than one dr. regularly it is helpful. Good luck to you. Bern

Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

I haven't been diagnose with anything definate yet, but my Rheumi believes my problems are definately some type of auto immune mixed connective tissue disease...

I have had recurrent bouts of Optic Neuritis. I almost always have pain with it and it is always confirmed by the neuroopthomologist. The back of my eye is light like it isnt getting the right blood supply but the main thing that always confirms it is the afferent pupil defect. My left eye wont dialate right. That is how they can always tell when it is in fact the optic neuritis. That and my vision went from 20/20 to 20/200 in my left eye. The main way you can really tell something is way off is not just the blurred vision but looking at bright reds...they are either much duller, darker and washed out.

Optic Neuritis can be caused blood flow issues, MS, Lupus, diabetes. Basicly anything that can effect the optic nerve by demylination or blockage of blood flow.

I also have alot of tingling and numbness that comes and goes. It is all really a great mystery and a not so fun roller coaster ride.

Good luck to you,
Erin

Last edited by ErinS64; 03-13-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
question for Estevens64

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

Estevens64, when I went to an opthalmologist he did not find optic neuritis- my pupils both dilated fine, both eyes 20/20, no optic swelling, just dry eye in one eye. I went to a rheumatologist today and she was unsure of what it could be since I have such a broad spectrum of symptoms like numbness and tingling in hands and feet, some chest pain, some fatigue, abdominal pains after eating, feeling like my adam's apple is protruding after meals, the vision, cracking and painful joints... but she ordered for a lot of tests like lupus, sjogrens(which can be causing the eye issues), hepatitis, arthritis, different viruses, lyme disease...

can i ask when did your symptoms start, how old are you and what tests did you have done? Did you first suspect MS? I am 19. Thanks...

Old 03-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #12
(female)

suziewong HB User

Hi Your doctor is heading down the right road sjogrens i have and yes this causes dry eye,Along with dry mouth and skin and virgina,It can be related to lupus,I have been under the nuerologist for 10 years now since 29 but symptoms started in my teens if i look back with raynauds cold hands and feet,I have been getting treatment thinking it was M.S but now doctors suspect systemic lupus.And i have 2 daughters 1 age 20 the other age 13 both have raynauds both started at 13. Has any of your family got any autoimmune disease's as doctors think the raynauds is related to my autoimmune disease.?I do hope your blood tests show them what is wrong as sometimes can take a while to show anything up doctors told me it is the last thing to show signs of problems.So goodluck keep us informed
(sorry about spellings memory isn't good )

susan

Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User
Re: question for Estevens64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Bees
Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

Estevens64, when I went to an opthalmologist he did not find optic neuritis- my pupils both dilated fine, both eyes 20/20, no optic swelling, just dry eye in one eye. I went to a rheumatologist today and she was unsure of what it could be since I have such a broad spectrum of symptoms like numbness and tingling in hands and feet, some chest pain, some fatigue, abdominal pains after eating, feeling like my adam's apple is protruding after meals, the vision, cracking and painful joints... but she ordered for a lot of tests like lupus, sjogrens(which can be causing the eye issues), hepatitis, arthritis, different viruses, lyme disease...

can i ask when did your symptoms start, how old are you and what tests did you have done? Did you first suspect MS? I am 19. Thanks...
+++++
Over and a half ago. Started out with the vision problems which was diagnosed by opthomologist as optic neuritis...all of the things I said, pupils, back of eye was pale... then a few weeks later I started being unable to walk because of numbness and weakness in my legs...I have had several bouts like that, and other problems such as joints, anemia...many things have pointed to lupus including a family history. But I had the full gammot of tests ran for multiple sclerosis. Several MRI's and even an LP. They now believe I have peripheral neuropathy, but my antisphoidal test was indeterminate...so I am still on the fence waiting to see why.

I sincerely doubt you have optic neuritis from what you have said... and the dry eyes can cause blurred vision as well as thyroid problems.

Good luck with your search and hopefully you will find it is just because of your dry eyes.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User

Estevens64,

You mentioned that dry eye could cause blurred vision and I have read that also, but can it cause the vision to be chronically blurry?? When I cover my left eye and look out into the distance I could see a significant decrease in vision, blurry, dim, colors not as vibrant--but then after a second or two the eye focuses and I could see much better, but not 100%. I guess dry eye can in fact be the culprit??

Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Burnt Bees....sweetie... I don't really know the answer to that. I do know that if there is a nerve issue your pupils will react incorrectly. The nerve doesnt contract correctly. Mine still comes and goes and from what I have been told I have perminant damage now to my left eye. My vision in my left eye at its best has only recovered to 20/80 and they do not expect it to get any better. The good news is that if it is due to dry eye, the eye drops they give you might help. I have other symptoms such as raynauds and peripheral neuropathy. I just got over a bad bout of pneumonia... and the pain I had they attributed to pleurisy...but after further investigation they found that I had in fact fractured a few ribs. I just couldnt imagine that was the case. I have never broke a bone in my life...in fact I have never had pneumonia in my life so it has been alot of firsts. When I went to the dr to start on the plaquinil he had said this would help the pleurisy... I was so happy thinking cool finally I can stop the pain (fractured ribs are very painful by the way, but never having pleurisy I had no way to know the difference) I just knew I was in some pretty severe pain. My dr actually said hey this is good news, you dont have pleurisy and you can take 3 vicoden es's 4 times a day for pain. I laughed (painfully I might add) and told him this was not good news. He looked so confused. I told him I came here for a medicine that would make it go away. Now my wonderful news said there is nothing they can do but hey! I have plenty of pain medication! LOL... is it just me or does anyone see this as good news?

The thing is that there are those that go to the dr and get the answers all be it not a great answer but atleast they know what they are dealing with. I have not been so lucky. I have been what seems like assaulted over and over with odd things. Like for instance a week before I got pneumonia I was on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds due to my lymph node below my ear and next to my jaw swelling up to the size of a golf ball. Again pain meds..this was painful and frankly strange.

I have learned that the diagnosis can take years and in the scheme of things I have been at this a relatively short time. I just wish we could decide on a medication that will alow me to go more than 2 months without some stange and odd thing hitting me.

But I wait patiently and with hope every time that whatever this strange thing that has invaded every part of my life will simply disappear as quickly as it came. I have tried to chock it up to premenapause, but at my age that is unlikely. I am not even 42 yet. So I just keep on going and hoping to have some good days. The only problem is as soon as I get a good day it is followed quickly by some really bad ones.

Erin

Closed Thread