It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #1

lushine40 HB User
prednisone withdrawal??

this crazy drug can do anything it seems. how 'bout when you go off it. i decreased by 5mg last week. had a headache 5 days in a row. anyone else experience this? i know anything can happen with lupus.

just curious.

thanks a bunch

hope u'r having a good day

lulu

Old 03-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: prednisone withdrawal??

Hi lulu, I am on prednisone 4mgs a day. I have dropped from 5mgs. and have also in the past come all the way off of it. How slow did you come off the prednisone? I went down one mg. a day every ten days to two weeks. I had no problems doing that except the joint pain increased as I went down on prednisone. I did not have any other side effects.

I hope you will be doing better soon.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

Suni321 HB User

Hi Lulu, I've had some pretty bad episodes tapering down on Prednisone. Usually it's when I'm tapering at the high doses down 5mg. like 50mg to 45mg..

But, for me what occurs is my symptoms intensify such as feeling like a truck ran over me multiple times.... muscle aches, headache, joint pain, eye issues, swelling - very irritable. Lot's of fun! But, it might not be so bad if you are at a low dose as long as you are tapering down a little bit at a time.

On my last taper I talked to the nurse at my Rheum's office about the "withdrawal effects" and she said had seen people that had issues tapering just 1mg & some who didn't have any issues at all. Depends on how long you've been on the dose.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

Hi guys, my tapers are usually more like Suni321 "But, for me what occurs is my symptoms intensify such as feeling like a truck ran over me multiple times.... muscle aches, headache, joint pain, eye issues, swelling - very irritable. Lot's of fun! But, it might not be so bad if you are at a low dose as long as you are tapering down a little bit at a time" I don't get many headaches but I get a lot of the joint pain, fatigue and general grouchiness!!
Best of luck, maybe try a slower taperins schedule.
Dee

Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #5

lushine40 HB User

thanks everyone for the replies. seems to be a consensus amongts others with lupus i've spoken to - tappering can be rough.

i've been on prednisone since end of jan. started at 30 mg. they upped me to 40mg for 2 wks. down to 35mg for 2 wks. been on 30 mg for one wk.

will probably stay at 30 mg for a few wks.

i'll post soon.

hope u'r all having a good day

lulu

Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

HI
can langoley go a lil more in depth on eye issues, or if anyone else has them. I was on a taper of prednisone and now I am down to 5 mgs a day. From my hip to my toes feels like nerve pain, which truly could be unrelated, but I am having some eye issues.
Felicia

Old 03-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Langoley HB User

Yes Felicia; what would you like to know?? I do have dry eyes and sometimes my vision gets blurry. Doesn't last very long. Not sure if it's due to high doeses of Prednisone like 20 mg give or take or actual Lupus weirdness. The ophlamologist was very helpful & I happened to be having the problem when she was able to see me. She just described it as "boggy" which she said was like swollen due to the steriods or simple due to the Lupus. The tissue in the eye she said she was referring to is just like the tissue inside of our joints so perhaps when we are having joint pain-Lupus activity, maybe the tissue in the eyes can become swollen and cause our vision to get a little blurry?
Hope this helps and if you have any specific question or idea; please let me know!
Best of luck to all of us Lupus people,
Dee

Old 03-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

Thank You! I was jjust wondering if it was a side effect of prednisone, or my sjorgren syndrome acting up.

Closed Thread