It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

kgbbsc7 HB User
Why all these seemingly random tests?

I have posted recently about the possible diagnosis of Lupus. Bloodwork and skin biopsies came back suggestive of Lupus.

Visit with a rheumalogist today. He ordered TONS of more bloodwork. I also got chest x-rays and pelvic x-rays? He has also ordered an echo-cardiogram?

Anyone have any reasons why these tests were ordered?

He is also putting me on Plaquenil. Anything I should know about this medicine?

Old 03-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
Re: Why all these seemingly random tests?

Hello
Pleurosy (sp.) is inflammation of the lining of the heart and lungs and could happen as a result of lupus. Did you complain about chest pain that hit you in the back when you inhale? Heart palpatations? Pelvic xray--hmm.. my doctor did ask if i have any groin pain, so maybe there is a link.
I do not have a diagnosis of lupus but am seeing a rheumatologist and awaiting my first set of blood work. I suppose your doctor isn't sure since you said "suggestive of lupus" so he/she is trying to put the pieces together with the chest xray/cardiogram. Let us know what the outcome is.

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. These tests really aren't random. Systemic lupus can (but doesn't always, by any means) affect major organs such as heart, lungs, kidney, and CNS. Your dr. would be totally remiss if he didn't order thorough bloodwork & do a physical exam.

Plaquenil is in the "lightest" class of lupus meds, the antimalarials. It's not adequate where major organs are being affected by a flare: stronger meds would be required. But if major organs aren't involved, then it may be the obvious & adequate choice. Only a dr. can decide, and only based on "real" data. And afterwards, you should continue to be monitored regularly.

To read more, click the "Resources" button above, click "MedLine Plus", then click "Health Conditions", then rheumatology, then lupus.

I hope this helps rather than confuses---and that whatever is found, is mild! Sincerely, Vee

Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there kg,

I would like to correct one thing that Michelle wrote if I may. Pleurisy isn't inflammation of the lining of the heart - that is called pericarditis. Not being picky but I do think it is important to distinguish between the two. They present with a different type of pain from each other and both can be caused as a result of having lupus. Pleurisy though is something that happens to lots of people who don't have lupus. They are extremely painful but are treated by different methods.

Having had both of them numerous times, I do think that any type of pain that is causing problems with breathing or pain in the chest should be looked at as soon as possible.

As Veej said all of the tests the doctor has arranged are normally carried out. The chest x ray will be needed to make sure there is nothing going on that may be affecting your breathing. He will ask you about things like having a dry cough, or coughing blood - sounds horrid I know -, smoking, if you have ever worked with anything that would be an irritant to the lungs. He needs to know these things so that he can then distinguish between this type of thing and lung problems that may be caused as a result of having lupus. These are the type of things he needs to know. He will normally listen to your lungs, and then look at the x ray to see what is going on. Remember not all lupus patients have organ involvement.

Again the ECG test is a run of the mill test for a lot of people. It will monitor the heart to determine whether there is any inflammation, the rate and that type of thing. In general how the heart is in fact performing overall.

The pelvic x ray might be if you are having lower body pain, in the hip or lower back area maybe. Just a thought on that one, I'm not too sure why the doctor would have asked for this unless you have told him of pain in that area.

I hope this is of help to you. I only speak from experience of having SLE for more 30 years, not as a doctor. Whatever the outcome of all of the tests, I hope you are able to come back and let us know how you are doing.

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 04-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi golden,

I was reading these posts and saw that you've had Lupus for 30 years! I'm sorry as i'm sure it must be tough but glad to see you sound as if you are managing thise disease.

Can i ask a question if I may? I'm in the process of being tested. I'm sure the Dr is doing the ana test to begin.

My complaint is joint pains in the ankles, feet, knees, wrists, upper arms hands, fingers.......very strange, just appeared l;ast week and lingers around.

I told a few people my Dr is testing me and they wre like "Oh myyy......I hope its not Lupus, thats a death sentence". Scared me out of my mind! So you can see why i feel panicked.

I was just recently dxed w/ hashimotos thyroiditis and I'm so worried about this being lupus.

Is lupus something that I can expect to live a normal life with the treatments today. Can i expect to see my children grow or what do i expect?
Thx n God Bless!
Rachel

Old 04-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Rachel,

I will answer as much as I can art this point in time. I have just come out of hospital after another mild heart attack so I am not fully with it yet. All of what I say here is not from a medical viewpoint of course, only my own experience of SLE.

Firstly, these people who say the most ridiculous things regarding lupus need to be educated. NO, it is not a death sentence. Indeed, as you say with all of the emazing treatments now, you can and no doubt will live a full and fulfilling life. Also it depends on what type of lupus you have which type of treatment you will receive. Only SLE afects the internal organs, and again not everyone with SLE willl have organ involvement.

The joint pains might be arthritis which is something that would present normally with inflammation of the joint. It could even be arthralgia which is pain in a joint. Arthritis is different to this. It causes stiffness and lots of aches and pains. This will be something that hopefully will be looked into with your testing going on. It is something you must speak about to the rheumatologist, even if on the day it is not too bothersome.

On the hashimoto's I'm afraid I can't help. I know a lot of our familyu here do know lots about it though and I'm sure that you will get help with this.

As more testing is done on you and you need more advice and help from us here, come back and we will do our best to support you. Emotional support I personally feel is of the utmost impotance to us and I will do my best to give you this.

Yes Rachel, you will lead a full life as I said. As with all illnesses like lupus, which are classed as chronic, we have to work too on being determined not to let it take over our lives. We have lupus, but lupus is not who we are.

I have other medical conditions too that hav caused me to have physical disabilities, but I have fought for most of my adult life to lead as normal a life as I can. It is hard at times when I am very unwell, but it can be done.

RAchel, you may ask me anything you need to know. I might not respond for a little while, as I have to rest - hee hee - because of the latest heart problem, but I will get back to you when I can. Everyone here is so very helpful as you know and you will get all of the support you need.

Whoops, just been caught on here. I am in trouble hee hee !!

Take care.

goldenwings

Old 04-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Golden,

I'm so sorry that you're not at your best now. Get p[lenty of rest and try and take good care.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Lord knows after what you've been through, that is very kind of you. TY!
I'm not sure whats going on w/ my joints. They All ache so bad. I just got the results (from the secretary in the office to the ANA test and she said it was negative. I'm hoping this means i probably dont have lupus.
I'm going to speak to the Dr. on my next appointment and see where to go.
Thx for your support!
Rachel

Closed Thread