It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

suziewong HB User
posative results

Please can you tell me how many people have had posative SMA results but negative for all other tests i have sjogrens and have been getting treatment for M.S for past 10 years but now nuero think i have systemic lupus,Although i have CSF posative band results also EVP delays. thankyou any help would be great
susan x

Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: posative results

Dear Susan, By "SMA", do you mean "anti-Smith antibody", also abbreviated as "anti-Sm"? If so, it's considered one of two autoantibodies *very* indicative of lupus, the other one being anti-ds-DNA.

When either of these two are present, I've read that some drs. simply diagnose SLE and don't even bother with ensuring that at least 4 of the ACR criteria are present. That's how correlated with SLE these 2 are.

There may be others here who can offer first-hand experience with anti-Sm (if that's what you are describing, that is). Hope so! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

suziewong HB User

Hi yes i meant posative smooth muscle antibodies but my liver tests are normal,please does this ring any bells as this not knowing properly for 10 years is getting to be quite annoying.
would be greatful for any help
susan

Old 03-20-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Dear Susan, Now I finally see what you meant, and I'm sorry for confusing your abbreviation from one of your first posts!

Anti-Sm is an antibody affecting cell nucleus and is a VERY strong indicator of SLE.

Anti-smooth muscle antibody is DIFFERENT. I just read that it is associated with autoimmune hepatitis, infectious hepatitis, and cirrhosis. But, also, that the results help the dr. rule SLE in or out---but I have no idea how. Maybe somehow in conjunction with all other test findings and symptoms ... (?)

In your shoes I'd ask your *doctor* to discuss what anti-smooth muscle antibody findings might mean. This must be awfully frustrating for you. Maybe someone who has had liver problems knows more? Bye for now, Vee

Old 03-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User

Suzie,
You mentioned you were being treated for MS for 10 years but now the doctor suspects Lupus instead... how could you have been diagnosed with ms without lesions? I am in limbo for a diagnosis and wondering what everyones' beginning situations were.

Thank you and peace.
Michelle

Old 03-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
(female)

suziewong HB User

HI i was dignoised with M.S as OLIGOCIONAL BANDS in IN MY CSF (my lumber puncture), Also VISUAL EVOKED POTENTIALS where delayed,Also through symptoms. And i also have optic nerve swelling which can be seen by looking through there optical equitment also seeing opthamologist confirms this.The MRI didn't show demylination bue empty sella syndrome,And the pressure in my was 36cm but should be around 16,I had a op to drain fluid away.Hope this helps but the nuero has said not all show up on MRI, They can diagnoise by symptoms and other tests such as EVP test and Lumber puncture.But as i have other involvments like kidney and heart etc also sjogrens and brain issues the nuero now think Systemic Lupus.
Well hope this helps you for now susan x

Last edited by suziewong; 03-21-2006 at 03:03 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
(female)

KileyGirl HB User

I was Dx.ed with SLE before any of the antibodies were present (except ANA) and am wondering if anyone else got dx.ed without a specific antibody...anyone? My complements c3/c4 were often low and eventually, long after my dx., my anti-dsdna became pos.

My smooth muscle antibody has been slightly elevated also. It seems there's a difference between smooth muscle antibody and ANTI-smooth muscle antibody.?? I think one tests for primary biliary cirrhosis and the other for autoimmune Hep. and Hep. C.
Even with occasionally elevated liver enzymes, my Rheumy and PCP didn't seem concerned with it once I tested negative for Hep. C.

Would love to hear what others' Dr.s thought about elevated smooth muscle AB's in relation to lupus!

Hope you get some answers soon Suzie and Michelle!
Kiley

Last edited by KileyGirl; 03-22-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Closed Thread