It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User
difference between anti-ro and ana?

I hear a lot of people talk about ANA being negative and anti-ro being positive-- i think in people with SCLE? does anyone know which blood antibody test they use for sjogrens? I thought it was anti-ro? because as for lupus, i am sure they only tested me for ana, but they did do sjogrens and if they was anti-ro well then i suppose i am in the clear for lupus and its back to wondering... i have a followup with rheum. on monday, what should i ask her regarding the tests she did--whhat tests should be done to rule out all lupus?
hope everyone is well..
michelle

Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: difference between anti-ro and ana?

Hi, Michelle. The following is only how I understand these things. I'm just a patient, though, so this is only for what it's worth...

Anti-Ro is seen in BOTH SCLE-type lupus AND Sjogren's. (But I also think you maybe can be Dx'ed with *SLE* with this antibody, if you meet the most severe of the SLE criteria.)

It's really the totality of your symptoms & other test results that indicate to a rheumie which, Sjogren's or lupus, you have. Or you can have BOTH.

ANA is only a "threshhold" test that can be positive in various autoimmunes, due to a family tendency, due to a pssing virus, etc. In & of itself, it doesn't say a tremendous lot, though I bet if it were "horribly" high, that would inspire a dr. to really search very hard for answers.

As for ANA in SCLE: I was told it's *positive* about 2/3 or so of the time, meaning it's negative about 1/3 of the time. So having a negative ANA & a positive anti-Ro may *doesn't* mean you are in the clear for lupus.

But I also had SCLE-type rashes, so skin biopsy results were a big part of the Dx for me.

For Sjogren's, there are additional specific tests such as dry Schirmers & Rose Bengal corneal. But the most accurate, I think I read, is lip biopsy.

My suburban drs. (multiple rheumies & dermies) had never seen SCLE, I suspect---vs. my city drs., who sized me up in, oh, about 2 minutes each. So it would be really good for you, if your anti-Ro is positive, if you knew that your rheumie had seen/treated both SCLE & Sjogren's, alone or together.

There is no one test that rules out all lupus, is my understanding. I think this is where symptoms over time add/subtract to the diagnostic process, and additional testing as warranted, also.

I wonder if Sjogren's is treated with the same meds as non-organ-threatening lupus, whether Plaquenil is the DOC for both? That maybe would be a question to ask.

I really hope this makes sense. Please give a yell if it doesn't, OK? Otherwise, good luck with your upcoming rheumie appt! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

Bryansmom HB User

Hey, guys!

Don't know if this helps, but I am positive for both ANA and anti-ro and have a dx of SLE. My first symptom, though was in 1989 (severe autoimmune thrombocytopenia) and at that point all my tests were "fine" except obviously my platelet count, and my SED rate and anti-platelet antibody titer. It wasn't until May of 2005 that my ANA flipped to positive (and I have had it run many times since 1989 'cause I've felt like junk for a lot of those years). So, so much for the theory that ANAs don't change!

Hope you get some answers soon.

Take care and God bless!
Michelle in CA

Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Burnt Bees, Michelle just wrote that her ANA took awhile to turn positive. A woman I know had a similar progression of test results going positive, with an extra twist: first anti-Ro; several years later anticardiolipin; then awhile after that the ANA.

Kinda like the rule is that there IS no rule...? Vee

Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
(female)

Burnt Bees HB User

thanks everyone---but i don't have any skin rashes and my first symptom was blurred vision, but no optic-neuritis, i still think it could be ms, even though my MRIs were clear... i just don't anymore!!

Closed Thread