It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

Toin HB User
Is it time to go back to the doctor?

Yesterday, around 5 pm, I realized I couldn't pee. By 7 pm, I was peeing blood and tissue. By 9 pm, I was doubled over in the ER in severe pain with a high fever. Today, I'm just so exhausted and worn down and still feeling a lot of pain from the sneak attack kidney infection.

My question to you guys is... do you think this is lupus related?

I haven't had any bloodwork done since 2003. It all came back showing no signs of lupus. So, I gave up even though the bloodwork in 2001 showed systemic lupus. I've had sx going back through the mid-late 90's that became quite serious when I was 17. I'm 27 now and this is the first time I've ever peed blood.

My grandmother died from SLE when my mom was 2 due to kidney failure when she was younger than I am now. I guess that's why I'm paranoid. I've never had this happen before...what should I do?

I'm just worried that I can't handle the medical merry go round again. The ups and downs of one blood test saying yes and another saying no. That combined with the rest of life's stress seem too much to take on.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks for reading and hope you are all well.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Is it time to go back to the doctor?

Toin, From what I've read, there really isn't any one definitive test for SLE. Instead, the Am. College of Rheum. looks for 4 "matches", sometime in your lifetime, from their list of 11 classification criteria. There's a "sticky post" near the top of the Board with these criteria, plus a list of common symptoms.

If you tested positive for ANA, that doesn't necessarily mean you have lupus (could be something else, like RA, or a passing virus, or a family trait).

On the other hand, there are a couple of autoantibodies that are SO specific to lupus, that if you have one of them, you might get the Dx even with meeting fewer than "4". These two "biggies" are anti-DNA and anti-Sm.

I *think* there are various reasons for passing blood, not nercessarily lupus, in other words. I've done it from stones & from UTI's. However... I'm no doctor (obviously!), but I think you REALLY SHOULD get thoroughly checked out. But I sympathize with your having up's & down's with doctors. A lot of us here have expressed the same grievance---me, too. I hope others post, too. And at least you'd have the group here to chat with as you work your way through appts., etc.---and good company never hurts! Sincerely, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread