It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

confused725 HB User
Malor rash.......

Hi

Can u tell me, is a malar rash visable or can it be so faint that its barely noticeable, like a little flushing of the cheeks.

When you do have this rash, does it ever go away (come n go) or is it permanent?

Does everyone w/ Lupus have this rash

Many thx!

Old 04-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
Re: Malor rash.......

Hi -

The malar rash can begin as a flush to the cheeks after you've been in the sun. The more you're outside in the sunshine, the worse it is even to the point of becoming raised and really red. I don't know if it ever becomes permanent. I do know if it's just the flushed pinkness on your face, if you use sunscreen 45spf or higher, a broad brim hat, long sleeves and long pants, and avoid the sun from about 10am to 4pm in the warm and hot weather, you'll look better and feel SO MUCH better.

For some reason, the sun intensifies the fatigue, aches, and bother of lupus. Go figure.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: Malor rash.......

Hello there,

Extremely good advice from Barbara. Just a little more if I may. No, not everyone with lupus has the malar/butterfly rash. Even rosacea, PLE and other conditions can sometimes be associated with the appearance of a "butterfly" type rash.

Some preparations that are used by patients can also cause the appearance of this type of rash. Unless these products are used under strict supervision then they can cause the skin to become thinner and then the tiny blood vessels near the top layer of skin become more visible and give off the appearance of such a rash. Extreme care should be taken with such products.

Another thing to look for is that a "true" malar rash does not go into the folds of the skin at the sides of the nose either. By this I mean where the outer parts of the nose and cheeks meet the upper lip. This is usually a sign that the rash might be something else.

My rash is present in varying degrees. When I am in a flare, it is very visible and defined in the shape. When things improve it is a pinky blush.

Hope this helps.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-03-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Closed Thread