It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

chattie HB User
plaquenil question please

Hi! All
I am new to the board and have a dx of lupus have had it for quite sometime but was always up in the air as dx goes. Anyway my new rhuemy started me on plaquenil about 6 days ago told me to start with 1 per day then go to two per day after 5 days. I'm only about 105-108 pds and I seem to be having trouble with the plaquenil i get very lightheaded tired headaches feel foggy headed etc. I've been taking only 1/2 am and other 1/2 pm. I even notice skipped beats in my heart?? Does any one else suffer from side effects of plaquenil or is it just the darned lupus?? I have terrible pain daily!! I also take sectral a beta blocker 200mg 1 time a day, xanax .25 3 times a day vicodin 7.5/500 but I cut that in half and only take about a half a day a baby aspirin every other day and 250 magnesium every other day.
Thanks! and Please help as I'm getting scared to take the plaquenil
Cathy

Old 04-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: plaquenil question please

Chattie, My weight is the same range as yours & I took the same dosage, but with no warm-up phase, just straight to 200 mg twice a day. I had some problems at first (nausea, halo effect at night). But I did fine a week or two in. And I was in a flare when I started. BUT---I wasn't on any other meds (other than vitamins). e.g., does your dr. know you take Vicodin & Xanax?

I had some heart fluttering, too, but BEFORE starting the med. Maybe from anemia...?

Best bet is just to call him/her to discuss. Everyone is different, with different tolerances and different OTHER meds & supplements. I hope you get some feedback PDQ. Best wishes, Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

Yeah I agree with VeeJ. Check with your doctor. It could be those other meds that you're taking combined with the Plaquenil that's doing this to you. I had some mild naseau and fatigue when starting Plaquenil, but it went away for me after a couple of weeks....I take 200mg twice a day. I've always been told that Plaquenil was very mild. But it can effect different people differently....

Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

watoozie HB User

I have been on 200mg plaquenil twice a day for 9 months. I do feel so much better and have not had any problems from the med. I am also on an anti-inflamtory, Feldene. I know I feel much better than I have in years, my doctor just wouldn't listen to me, guess he just thought I was a complaining woman!!!!!

Old 04-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I am glad I found this post......I started on Plaquenil 1/4 a tab for 3 days then just went upto 1/2 tab.....I have had nausea but also a nasty eye twitch and itching. Called the pharmasist and they told me to call my DR right away. I called yesterday......the nurse just called and said just deal with it...it may get better.........HELLOO!!! Am I haveing an allergic reaction? I hace not taken it today and NO ITCHING but still some of the eyetwitch.
Can anyone give me some input? I know we all react differently but some general guidelines would be great.........OH and I have been even MORE fatigued than before....I thought this was to help the fatigue???

Old 04-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

I was SUPER fatigued when I first started Plaquenil. I felt crappy honestly. It was like the first month or so that I felt that way. I know I sound like a broken record, but my body got used to it and I take it now and I really don't feel anything. I've been on it for 3 years now. 200mg twice a day. But keep in mind too, I'm ONLY on Plaquenil. I'm not taking any other meds. Maybe the interference with the others may have you going through this. I also get the eye twitch thing too...Got it checked out a couple of years back and my eyes are fine. I never linked it to the Plaquenil though, so thanks for that info...that could very well be it. I've been told by my Opthamologist that it's very rare that Plaquenil affects the eyes and in those cases it's with very high doses of it. Way higher than the 200mg twice a day that I take. But I still get visual fields done twice a year to make sure the eyes are okay. Make sure you do that too...

Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I have never had a problem with Plaquenil. I take my 2 200 mg pills together instead of twice a day. I think I do occasionally have the heart thing...it's almost like it either skips a beat or has a HUGE pump lol...is this what you mean? Almost like it wants to jump out of your chest.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply...........can you tell me how long your eye twitched lasted or do you still have it? I did not take today. Still a little eye twitch here and there but NO ITCHING! HMMM?

Old 04-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

My eye still twitches to this very day....Not an everyday thing, but it happens sometimes....But I see an opthamologist twice a year (just saw him last month for my 6 month checkup) and my eyes are fine....I think you're going to be fine....Good Luck to you...

Old 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I just got home from an appt with a New Internal DR. he said to stop the plaquenil and that it will not help for fatigue from CFS??HMM? He also thought that the small.....and I mean SMALL dose of Cymbalta could be making me fatigue worse as it tends to get mor energizing at a higher dosage so we are switching back to Lexapro............I had tons more blood work done today and this DR thinks it may be CFS and there is a new drug........starts with a "P" but I do not recall what it was that would really help with fatigue. I only know something better works soon or I am going to go crazy!!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
(female)

rosta04 HB User

This is a tough one to be honest everyone will have a different reaction to medications. One thing my doc told me and what I have found through research is that Plaquenil is the most mild medicine for Lupus patients and that if symptoms do occur they will go away. You don't want to have to move up to the medications like Methotrexate and Mirapex (sorry for the spellings), if you don't have to because the chances of side effects will pry be higher and long term effects worse. It's like with any medicine your body has to get used to it. It does work over time with overall symptoms I have been on it for 4 years and I take 400MG a day. so if your doc says to stay on them they are probably right. Just make sure any other meds whether it be OTC, prescribed or vitamin are not interacting and that you are being honest to your doc about what you are taking.. You don't want to cause unecessary harm. Good luck everyone..

Old 04-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

I am with Rosta04....I have been told by every article I've read and every rheumie I've seen (and I've had this disease for the past 16 years) that Plaquenil is the mildest of all the drugs used to treat Lupus...And I really do believe that your body will adjust to it eventually and you'll start feeling much better....

Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen
Thanks for the info. I just got home from an appt with a New Internal DR. he said to stop the plaquenil and that it will not help for fatigue from CFS??HMM? He also thought that the small.....and I mean SMALL dose of Cymbalta could be making me fatigue worse as it tends to get mor energizing at a higher dosage so we are switching back to Lexapro............I had tons more blood work done today and this DR thinks it may be CFS and there is a new drug........starts with a "P" but I do not recall what it was that would really help with fatigue. I only know something better works soon or I am going to go crazy!!
It is called provigil...that is what I take. It wont help with the really bad days but does make a difference on the mild to moderate days.

Erin

Old 04-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
(female)

rubyrearview HB User

I was on methotrexate weekly injections. Plaquenil is nothing compared to metho, metho is chemo plain and simple and is the pits.

Closed Thread