It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User
Lupus and Clomid

I've posted on this board several times. My husband and I are trying to conceive. I have spoken to my rheumie, perinatologist, hemtologist, and nephrologist. They have all advised me of the risks but I've been in remission for over a year, so they're saying go for it. My ob/gyn wants to start me on Clomid. For those of you who dont know what Clomid is, it's a medication that helps you ovulate.. Does anyone know if this drug is safe for Lupus? I will ask my gyno more about this but I don't see her until Friday so I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this in the meantime? I will do more research on the internet with this also...Is it the same type of hormone as the birth control pill? I hope not, because the pill aggravates my Lupus. I was on Depo Provera for birth control. That did me just fine. I've been off of it for over a year and STILL no ovulating...Hence the reason for the Clomid..Thanks a lot.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

gbmccaw HB User
Re: Lupus and Clomid

Hi my husband and I was on the program for IVF last year. I have lupus for 4 years ago and is not on remission. I've took this drug for 5 days and did not see any side effect. thougth this might help you. Are you seeing a high risk doctor too? You also might check with you rheumy too about it if you really have a concern taking this drug. Good luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

heartofthesouth HB User
Exclamation Re: Lupus and Clomid

i was diagnosed with Lupus in 2002. i was lucky enough to only have one major flare. the leg pain is every day along with the nausea though. here recently my husband and i decided to try to have a baby so my dr put me on clomid. the first and second month weren't that bad but the third month i started noticing some very odd vision problems. white scratches of light and what the dr calls trailing (when you move your hand and it looks like there is a trail going behind it) i honestly thought i had been drugged. the trailing lasted for about 6 hours. this continued to happen the next few days. it finally got to the point where i blacked out behind the wheel of my car and ended up in the hospital. (the car and i were both ok) each of the dr.'s (there was around 6 or 7 of them) all agreed that the Clomid aggrivated my lupus. my blood pressure dropped dangerously, my nose had soars all through it, the rash on my face was worse than normal, my legs were killing me, pretty much i was falling apart. my dr now has it in my records that i am not allowed to take any fertility meds due to Lupus. and also if you look it up on the internet there are quite a few medical sites that does associate Lupus flares with hormones. so be careful. Lupus itself can cause problems on its own. look it up in the PDR. it can be very useful.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

heartofthesouth-

That is absolutely CRAZY. I am SO glad you were not hurt! Thank you so much for your information. We have decided NOT go to with the Clomid and to just try to conceive the 'good old fashioned way'...We felt kind of funny about the whole thing anyway, and your post just confirms it even more.

I know about Lupus and the whole hormonal thing, because I get these 'miniflares' right before my period that go away as soon as my period comes....Also about 4 years ago, my previous ob/gyn tried putting me on the pill for birth control and OMG I got sooooooo sick...I had the nastiest flare...As a matter of fact, although I'm considered in remission now, I still feel my Lupus has not been the same since that flare due to the pill...My symptoms changed...It's hard to explain...Either way, I am definately feeling you on the hormone and Lupus connection. Thanks again...

Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I took the pill after my 3rd child was born (my only pregnancy since being diagnosed). I bled a lot but that was my only problem. I now get the depo shot and THANKFULLY don't have any problems with it. I honestly didn't know that hormones can cause problems for us. Like, I said, thankfully I haven't had any! I'd be lost without my depo lol.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

wifeofzenoops HB User

I was on depo for over 5 years..That's the ONLY birth control I was able to be on without it aggravating the Lupus.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Tddeyne, it may be worth a shot to try the Clomid. You never know, it may not bother you...and if it does you can always stop taking it or it may just work right away and you won't have to worry about it! I would definitely go for it if it was me.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I just did a little research on the net to see if there was anything at all about lupus and clomid. There was one woman that had tried a few different injectables and she said clomid was the only one she could tolerate.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
(female)

darkwater HB User

Let's see.... I took Clomid about 5 years ago, which would have been about two years before I was officially diagnosed with lupus. I had no major side effects, unless you count some moodiness and hot flashes. I was seeing an endocrinologist at that time. I was trying to confirm that my ovaries did indeed produce viable eggs each month, and they did respond to the Clomid by releasing several eggs each month during the couple of cycles that I was taking it. At that time, I don't know if the onset of my lupus had begun, so I don't think Clomid would have affected me negatively then. I was having a few strange symptoms back then, like weird nosebleeds, lockjaw, roaring in the ears, swollen throat tissues that made me feel like I always had a lump in my throat, but nothing that screamed "lupus".

The next birth control I used after that was the NuvaRing, and I must say, that was such a beautiful experience, though my doctor took me off it as soon as I was diagnosed with lupus. She at first hoped that the NuvaRing had brought on drug-induced lupus, since my onset of symptoms corresponded closely to when I began using the NuvaRing. No such luck. She also just didn't want me to be on hormonal birth control since female hormones seem to have some role in who experiences lupus symptoms and to what degree, and that whole argument in the medical community is still up in the air. Plus, all the hormonal birth control has warnings about increased risks for clotting, and many lupus folks are at increased risk for this, also, so why pile on the risk. But NuvaRing was lovely, just effortless and easy to remember. I did have some breakthrough bleeding the first month as my body adjusted to it, but after that, it was great. I used the weekly version of NuvaRing, but I have seen advertisements recently for a monthly version, which I imagine would be even easier. I have also taken the Pill and had no problem with it, so me and hormonal birth control were peachy until lupus came along.

Closed Thread