HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lupus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/)
-   -   thyroid/lupus? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/lupus/381789-thyroid-lupus.html)

ritz224 04-10-2006 10:03 PM

thyroid/lupus?

I'm back again! :) Finally got more bloodwork. Something is going on in the thyroid. My TSH tests are normal- but thyroid antibodies (thyroglobulin, and thyroperoxidase), are both showing positive. Still have a speckled ANA. Lupus test(DNA)negative, and MCTD(RNP)negative. Still doesn't explain my face rash and swelling joints. Pain is getting much more intense and longer periods. Am going to an endocronologist(sorry about the spelling), after Easter. Can anyone relate? My nurse practioner is terrific. I researched Hashimoto's and requested the bloodwork- they are all amazed because they never heard of it!!!!! Seems to be a possible diagnosis-- if anyone can relate i'd love to hear from you. I still am not convinced it is the only thing going on- thanks all- Ritz

rosta04 04-13-2006 10:00 AM

Re: thyroid/lupus?

It sounds like you do need to see an endocrinologist. I finally found a good one in Seattle by where I live. She has been diligent about checking my blood every couple of months until I get to what should be normal for me. You should be on some sort of Thyroid replacement if your thyroid is not accurate. I am on Synthroid and the newest one Cytamel together they help the levels go back up to normal, but you have to be patient becuase it's not overnight results it takes a few months to get your levels back to normal.

I also have SLE Lupus, Fibromyalgia and RA.. so I know how you must be feeling. I have been through so many doctors its sickening to think about. But do keep up with your visits with a Rhumetologist and a regular MD as well. I take Plaquenil, Topomax and Cymbalta daily as well to treat the other symptoms. and I take pain medicine for my RA however if you haven't started I would recommend trying anything OTC first as pain medication is very addicting and it's something you think you can control which is what I told myself for months now I can't seem to get off of them b/c I am so dependent on what they do for my arthritis.

Good luck to you feel free to contact me anytime for advice.. PS the rash sounds like it could be Rosacea, I have that as well the best way to find out is to go to a Dermatologist. That is if your results are negative for Lupus. Rosacea is the only other thing I can think of, I've had it for years many things can make the rash flare up, you might want to do some research if you haven't already.

Take care
Andrea

ritz224 04-19-2006 10:24 PM

Re: thyroid/lupus?

Thanks Andrea,
I am beginning to think that thyroid problems go along with alot of these types of symptoms. My family doctor is sending me to the endocrinologist soon. I'm glad that i'll finally have some help. I was on synthroid a number of years ago because of my goiter-but he took me off- even though i told him it was making me feel more energetic for a change!! Anyway, thanks for the advice- my doc is in the process of finding me a new rheumy, but i have to wait until all my other bills are paid- no insurance. I asked for full time and insurance at work, but it's not available at the moment! I have a feeling they would classify my as pre-existing anyway. Thanks for all the advice- any little bit helps me alot! Ritz