It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

AmyTx HB User
im in bad shape today

for the past few weeks when i wake up I am in absolute pain.. my joints and muscles hurt so bad im havnig a hard time functiioning.. my fingers, knuckles, wrist, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees ankles and toes.. i have all my scripts to refill but what can i take for pain?? does advil work.. i have three kiddos ages 1,2 and 4 and im having a hard time lifting the baby.. it doesnt hurt much if i lift my other arm up with my other arm.. i have never flared before I was diagnosed with lupus in 2004 when i questioned my Doctor about my White blood cells always being low.. any insight or exercises to make this less of a problem in the morning I dread going to sleep because i know ill hurt in the morning ..

Old 04-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: im in bad shape today

Hi, Amy. I agree that ongoing pain is truly a huge drag. Over the last 5 years, I've tried Celebrex & Vioxx; but with all that's come out about those (esp. Vioxx), I'm now glad neither did the trick for me.

Now I just use OTC's---Aleve or Advil. But I really suspect people may differ pretty widely on how they respond to the vrs. meds. Has your dr. made suggestions? And maybe other will chip in soon, too.

I gave up high impact exercise some years ago & stick with yoga & Pilates, when I have the necessary energy, that is. But when I'm in big pain, I don't do even those. Shoulders & elbows are my killers. For some reason, I can move through hip & knee pain, but shoulder/elbow can stop me in my tracks when they are bad. Anyway, GOOD LUCK! Vee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

Try Tylenol Arthritis. I know it may sound strange but it did help me some. I also take about 600 mg of Ibuprofen when my hands or knees get really bad and this seems to help some too.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
(female)

watoozie HB User

I am on Plaquenil and Feldene, my Rheumatologist said he didn't want me taking anythink but Tylenol 500. Not the Tylenol Arthritis, but the 500 mg. It does help, I usually take 2 of them.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

The only difference really between Tylenol Arthritis and regular Tylenol (besides the dosage) is that Tylenol arthritis is an extended release pill that releases over (I think) 12 hours.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

rubyrearview HB User

I have ra and fibro plus two herniated discs. Now the doctor suspects I may have fibro and will perform some tests when he gets back from vacation. (just my luck) I cannot believe ya'll are surviving or trying to survive on Otc medication. I don't see how in the world you are doing it. I take presciption pain medication and right now since I have been taken off my methotrexate injections and begun taking plaquenil I am taking the maximum dosage, but the doctor said I would get wore pain wise for a while. Why do you not take prescription pain meds. I am not being nosy, just curious.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

rubyrearview, My own deal with my rheumie is that he'll write a script for pain meds if & when I ask. My reason for not asking is driving & knowing from experience how I react to stonger stuff.

Herniated discs? OUCH! I've seen how much misery those can bring on. I hope you've found drs. who can give you all the help that's available.

Best wishes, Vee

Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

I am taking Plaquenil and Prednisone every day. I also take some otc meds on top of them pretty much every day to try to take away the pain left over from them. Most of the time it helps.

Closed Thread