It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

cytherean HB User
Mouth sores

Hi, I've had a strange swollen fluid-filled bubble looking thing on the inside of my lower lip for about two months. It is raised, and getting pretty big, it appears fluid filled and whitish on top. It's soft, and not very sensitive. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before, with lupus SLE. I've been diagnosed with SLE for 4 years now and never had this happen.

here is a picture of it.

I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks

[url]http://i3.tinypic.com/vqu0q8.gif[/url]

Last edited by cytherean; 04-17-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
(female)

nickkaylee HB User
Re: Mouth sores

Wow I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. I would've said maybe it was just a canker sore if it hadn't been there so long but I have no idea what that could be...sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello there,

This definitely looks like a mouth ulcer to me. I get them inside my cheeks and on my tongue mainly, and occasionally on the roof of my mouth. What I do is rinse my mouth out with a very mild solution of warm salt water. Not too much salt as this miht make you sick, and also don't swallow it. You can buy OTC remedies for this type of thing, but I do find the home remedy eases the pain and keeps the mouth area very clean too. Oral hygiene is paramount when we have lupus.

Even stress or taking the pill can cause us to have this problem. Avoiding citrus fruits or sharp foods like potato chips or anything like that will help them to heal if they are ulcers. Any mouth ulcer or that type of thing that lasts for more than 10 days should be looked at by your dentist or doctor.

Take care.

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 04-18-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:39 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Looks like the mouth ulcers I have had in the past. A Rheumy recommended Kenalog and it really helped with the pain and also to diminish more quickly. The strange thing is you say there is no pain and usually they are very painful

Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
(male)

cytherean HB User

Do you recommend antibiotics? Could it be infected?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytherean
Do you recommend antibiotics? Could it be infected?
Usually, if a mouth ulcer, you wouldn't need an antibiotic, but I agree with the previous poster who suggested you get it checked because you say it has increased in size. If it turns out to be a regular mouth ulcer, the Kenalog, which I mentioned previously, works very well or you could try the warm H20 mouthwash someone else suggested. These are not uncommon with compromised immune systems.

All the best

Last edited by peregrine; 04-18-2006 at 11:14 AM.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hi there,

I think that if it was infected then you would really know. Apart from the horrible taste this would give off, then there would be a lot of redness from inflammation. One other thought, maybe it's a fluid filled cyst? You need to make the appointment to have this checked out.

Again only your doctor or dentist would be able to make the decision about antibiotics. Please go as soon as you can. If it is something other than an ulcer, then the sooner it is checked the better.

Take care,

goldenwings

Closed Thread